Butterfly Conservation's Annual General Meeting 2010

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Butterfly Conservation's Annual General Meeting 2010

Post by Gruditch »

Just a reminder, Butterfly Conservation's Annual General Meeting and Members' Day 2010 will take place at Churchill college, Cambridge on Saturday 20 November.

http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/d ... _2010.html

We will be there with the UK Butterflies stand, so pop over and say hello. We will also have authors David Newland & Rob Still, on hand to sign discounted :D copy's of there new book, Britain's Butterflies 2nd Edition.

Hope to see you there.

Regards Gruditch
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Butterfly Conservation's Annual General Meeting 2010

Post by Trev Sawyer »

In my local BC newsletter, it suggested you needed to register, but there was no obvious way to do so. The main BC website does not say you need to register, so I assume it is not required. Anyone know if we can just turn up?

Trev
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I too was confused by that newsletter with no obvious method indicated. What is probably meant by "register" is signing in on arrival. I'll just turn up on the day.

Jack
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

In previous years you have not had to pre-register attendance but you have had to pre-order lunch (if you wanted it), but in this year’s agenda it says you don’t need to pre-order.

Parking last year was a nightmare with a full car park and no on-street parking within half a mile or so, but the 2010 agenda says there is ample free parking near the college.

The EIG (BC European Interest Group) meets immediately after the BC AGM.

Unfortunately I can’t go this year as the date clashes with the bridge inter-county championships on the same weekend. :(
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

There is parking at the college itself (off Storeys Way), but if that gets full, there are a few alternative places... it is free to park at the park and ride site just off J13 of the M11 (they charge only if you catch a bus) and the college is a fairly short walk from there. You could jump on a bus for a couple of stops for a small charge if you don't fancy the walk, but it will only take a few minutes to walk along Madingley Road to the college.
NB: There is also some roadworks going on near the college at the moment - I think thay are widening the path for cyclists amongst other things - but hopefully that wil be out of the way by 20th.

Trev
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Trev said:
....NB: There is also some roadworks going...
The surprise for Cambridge would be if there were NO ROADWORKS.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

A significant point has to be made about the P&R near the Conference venue.

You cannot leave the M11 when travelling southbound at that junction 13 nor can you rejoin from the P&R should you wish to return north. The road planners obviously employed "joined up thinking" (I don't think!!!) when they designed that junction. But Cambridge has the reputation (certainly in my book) as being the least motorist-friendly city in Britain.

Mind you, once the Guided Bus gets going ............ :cry: :(

Jack
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Jack... That last sentence almost made me choke on my cornflakes :wink:

Trev
NickB

Post by NickB »

..and, as if to prove the point that Cambridge is the most car-unfriendly city in the UK ....
I will be directing members to their parking places at the AGM .... :mrgreen:

Careful now Jack - the lawyers have a lot more money to make before they can actually let the (mis)guided bus be used by erm, passengers :o
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
NickB

Post by NickB »

...to avoid any parking difficulties, the Park and Ride Jack refers to is about 1m from Churchill College, Storeys Way, CB3 0DS
I have Bing'd the route between the 2...

http://www.bing.com/maps/?qs=CB2+9FT&co ... B+MH4wfg==

N
millerd

Post by millerd »

Not being au fait with public transport in Cambridge, I have visions of double-deckers with viually-impaired drivers being led at 5 mph by a couple of earnest labradors.

Apologies if I have misinterpreted someone's Vision for the Future...

Dave :wink:
NickB

Post by NickB »

millerd wrote:Not being au fait with public transport in Cambridge, I have visions of double-deckers with viually-impaired drivers being led at 5 mph by a couple of earnest labradors.
Apologies if I have misinterpreted someone's Vision for the Future...
Dave :wink:
...actually we never got beyond the man with the red flag walking in front of the car; can be a bit of a bind on the supermarket run..... :roll:
Traffic-friendly Cambridge.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
...just wait until you leave the ring-road and try to go into central Cambridge, where you will find a maze of narrow, traffic-clogged dead-ends, no-entries, one-ways and pedestrian precincts, all interspersed with foreign students on bikes, who either seem to have a death-wish, or don't know the rules of the road and don't care. And that is nothing to the floods of day-trippers, who routinely walk down the middle of the roads, looking for the "University"........
Of course, as Jack has mentioned, we are told the guided bus scheme (£140+m and the lawyers are still counting :evil: ) will end our traffic woes. I'm not holding my breath :lol:
N
Mis-guided busway.....(with thanks to Jack...)
White-elephant-busway.jpg
's_most_expensive_Cycle_Way_1.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have just come across some “Independent Research” .

The much needed A14 improvement has, as we know, been cancelled. However, this research suggests that the Guided Busway will reduce the amount of traffic on both the A14 and Cambridge City Centre. The estimation is that with the opening of the Busway, an average of 1.07 fewer vehicles per day will use the A14. It is not clear if this figure refers to the total in each direction or the combined total of the road usage as a whole.

It is further anticipated that the reduction of traffic in Cambridge City centre will be even more impressive with a figure of 5.82 fewer vehicles per day being quoted.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

At the Conference, we might be given sticky labels for our names. This is very useful for us oldies and it helps remind us who we are :)

Seriously, as we might not get given labels I will have prepared my own. I suggest that we all do this with for example:

ukb “Gruditch” (Gary)

Jack (I would add my avatar but I don’t have a functional colour printer)
NickB

Post by NickB »

Jack Harrison wrote: Seriously, as we might not get given labels I will have prepared my own.
ukb “Gruditch” (Gary)
Yeah, nice one -
Let's all go as Gary.....
:P

Return to “Field Trips and Events”