The Butterfly Isles - Patrick Barkham

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
EricY

The Butterfly Isles - Patrick Barkham

Post by EricY »

[colsor=#0000FF][/color]
Todays Eastern Daily Press (Sat) in their sunday supplement carried a 2 page spread about the author & the book. Writer on the "Guardian" & born in Norfolk. The article gives him & the book a good report. It goes beyond the details of his quest to see 59 species in 2009, on checking through google there are 5 positive reviews on Amazon. Published by Granta @ £20 Amazon have it for £11.40 but if you go onto the National Trust website they have a link to Waterstones & a code to use (KR5538) to get it for £10 with free delivery, so I have ordered it with them.
A quote from the author in the article "I didn't want to write a book that only appeals to the 15,000 or so butterfly obsessives in the Country. they're wonderfull & i'm one of them but I wanted it to be a book that will be enjoyed by anyone who loves nature". Eric
David M

Re: The Butterfly Isles - Patrick Barkham

Post by David M »

Website quoted £16 when I entered it.

http://www.nationaltrustbooks.co.uk/Boo ... 1847081278
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

If you order it direct from Waterstones and apply the discount code at the check out you get it for £10
EricY

Post by EricY »

I should have mentioned in my original post that the discount code with Waterstones online website (applied at checkout) is only available untill December 20th.

Mine arrived in good time & well packed. Took me awhile to read through it & I enjoyed it well, great value for £10. Some of the sites he visited surprised me, particularly the chalk hill blue as he could have found that in walking distance from his cottage here in Norfolk. Eric
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

There are chalkhill blues in Norfolk?

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
EricY

Post by EricY »

Yes Guy, I understand they were introduced at a certain "Iron age camp" some years ago & seem to be doing well on the large chalk banks. They are well known in local nature circles. Others are easy travelling distance from Norfolk at Barnack hills & holes just north of Peterborough. Mostly we have to travel long distances from Norfolk to see the rarer butterflies, even the swallowtail is 60 miles from top end of Norfolk. Eric
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Guy asked about Chalkhill Blues in Norfolk and this reply:
I understand they were introduced at a certain "Iron age camp" some years ago
The place in question is Warham Fort (public knowledge) to the south east of Wells-next-Sea.

I have seen no evidence of artificial introductions and there is no reason to suppose it isn't natural (mind you, the fort isn't natural)

Jack
millerd

Post by millerd »

This is available on Amazon at the moment for only £7... You can pre-order the paperback version for a little less.
P&P is free with a slower delivery option.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Butterfly-Isles ... 844&sr=1-1

Dave
EricY

Post by EricY »

Obviously it has not sold well on Amazon, guess I should have waited!!! Eric
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

This is available on Amazon at the moment for only £7... You can pre-order the paperback version for a little less. P&P is free with a slower delivery option.
Unless you have subscribed to Amazon Prime when it will turn up next day (my copy is due tomorrow). I pay £42 per year for Amazon Prime and it wouldn't be worthwhile for just one person. But with a family of six living here (not necessarily all at the same time), the subscription soon pays for itself in books alone. (Too many students in this house, wife being one of them, all needing books).

Jack

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”