Filling the void

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Zonda

Re: Filling the void

Post by Zonda »

Wow! Some great shots and i wouldnt dispute any of those IDs. The first shot is interesting, and i'd say it was definitely within the Satanas group. I think i can make out some old oak leaves in the picture, and going by the general jizz of it i'd be thinking along the lines of Boletus legaliae which used to be known as B. satanoides. This is a pic i took several years ago of a young specimen. In my experience they prefer neutral to acid soils. If yours is B. legaliae the cap should develop a definite blush in old age, almost like someone has poured a bottle of red over it.

Your second pic, i'm not overly sure about, but it has something of Tylopilus felleus about it. Known as the 'Bitter Bolete', and sometimes mistaken for the Cep (B.edulis). Although the pore colour is quite yellow on yours, so maybe not. This is a group i shot back in the old film days. Also, have a look at B. moravicus a rare parkland species, growing with oak Sorry about all the speculation, and i'm dead jealous of those Leccinum shots. :D I think the binomial Boletus albidus has been declared illegitimate now, with B. radicans being preferred, but i know which one you're on about. :lol:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

hi zonda,

thanks for the pointer! must say your legaliae does look a good candidate for the id.
ive had a look at your link and the mushroom picture folders, some amazing species there, how long did it take you to accumulate such a collection of images?
are you tempted to go out and recapture them all on digital format?
or do ya think you might not have enough years left? :lol:
i think i need to do some more digging to find the id of my other image, the nearest ive matched it to going on the stem is either subtomentosus or ferrugineus.

cheers

gary. :D
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

About 17 years photographing wild fungi, but i lost about a quarter in the transition from film to digital. On the whole i was pleased with what i managed to save, which is roughly 150. I'm a bit more laid back about fungi now,,,, if i see one i'll probably take a pic if its in good nick (if only on my compact). As for doing it all again,,, maybe not. It was a lot harder with film, (and more expensive) i'd get about 4 species on a 36 frame roll, and often had lip biting failures. Now its easy,,,, where's the challenge? :lol:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

i think i need to do some more digging to find the id of my other image,
Boletus moravicus is really shouting at me now on that score, but can't be 100% naturally.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

blimey,

that was a labour of love, but you had some great results.
but i think you've convinced me, its so easy why bother :wink: :lol: :lol:

gary.
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

David M wrote:I have, over the past 2 or 3 weeks, been inadvertantly casting glances at promising looking landscapes whenever I've been driving (not really to be recommended when on the two lane section of the M4 near Port Talbot). Rocky outcrops with shrub and bracken laden slopes are particularly intriguing and I daresay I'll be visiting one or two places spotted from the roadside next year just to see what's there.
Plenty of good spots down there - Nash Point probably my fav but I always enjoyed Southerdown (I used to live in Cardiff) and there's always the waterfalls up from Pontneddfechan!

And, of course, watch out for the GATSO by Port Talbot - managed to get done @ 5:00 in the morning on our way to get the sunrise and snow @ Black Mountain. Totally empty motorway apart from us - but hey, we were obviously a terrible threat to universal safety! :evil: An expensive day as I managed to lose my mobile when we got blown off our feet (literally) - both of us thought the other had gone over the edge as we couldn't see for swirling snow, so other things on our minds (including concern for cameras buried in the snowdrift, albeit we were still holding them!)
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Managed to find one of these yesterday, keeps my hand in and is a cracking looking fungi.

Magpie Inkcap, Coprinus picaceus

Hope I've done it justice.

Cheers

Bill
Attachments
IMG_1319.jpg
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

Certainly have - very nice! :)
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Nice one Bill Coprinus picaceus is a species i have never been lucky enough to find, usually with beech. Great pic,,, i'm overcome with jealousy. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Matsukaze wrote:Hi Nick,

In the north you do have one advantage though - you get to witness species colonising as they spread in response to rising temperatures. It's difficult to imagine any species colonising my particular area of Somerset the next half-century.
Yes, you are certainly right. Five years ago we got very excited if we saw a comma, but now they are resident here and, if not in great numbers, are regularly spotted. Twenty odd years ago orange tips and peacocks were new arrivals. This year I found that wall browns had moved into East Lothian and I am sure there will be other species hiding out there.
There are also interesting and sometimes spectacular sub-species present in Scotland. I guess with a population far, far lower than England it's a truism to declare that butterflies are under-recorded there.

I've often been intrigued by eastern parts of Scotland, as they are much drier than the west and can get quite hot in summer due to the protection afforded by the mountains. Elsewhere in Europe that's a recipe for butterflies being present in far larger numbers than elsewhere.
Someone in the Scottish Borders just south of here has been very successful in finding species that were thought not to live there. I am hoping that with his help I will be able to find some of those species have flown up over the hills to East Lothian.

I am currently contenting myself with caterpillars of large and small whites on a cabbage plant. I've got three chrysalises on the house already!
David M

Post by David M »

NickMorgan wrote: Someone in the Scottish Borders just south of here has been very successful in finding species that were thought not to live there. I am hoping that with his help I will be able to find some of those species have flown up over the hills to East Lothian.
Good luck to you. I intend to comb the hills immediately surrounding Swansea next year (assuming we get sufficient good weather) to see if there are any surprises in store. I'd love it if I stumbled upon Marsh/High Brown Fritillaries or something equally unexpected.

One thing's for sure, if people don't get out there, we'll never know!
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Great picture Bill, and no I haven't forgot the £7 I owe you. I took down the forest at the weekend, no idea what it is, looked tasty bet it ain't. :?:

Regards Gruditch
Autumn floor 800.jpg
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Gary said:
I took down the forest at the weekend,
You took down a whole forest on your own, and without a chainsaw? :lol:

Nice shot, with a wide angle to show some habitat. This is what i used to do,,, lie on my belly in leaf litter. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

I missed out the "the", sounds a bit Northern. :D

Regards Gruditch
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Gruditch wrote:Great picture Bill, and no I haven't forgot the £7 I owe you. I took down the forest at the weekend, no idea what it is, looked tasty bet it ain't. :?:

Regards Gruditch
Autumn floor 800.jpg
Thanks Gary - have you had a chance to fiddle with your 150 yet and get the switch working?

I think the one on the right is probably Orange Oak Bolete, and they seem quite common in the forest at the moment. I've never tried them as they are usually quite rare; it could also be the Orange Birch Bolete which is more common but the scales on the stem look reddish. The one on the left could be a number of things!

Cheers

Bill
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Bill S wrote:have you had a chance to fiddle with your 150 yet and get the switch working?
No I still haven't got round to it, maybe tonight. :D

Regards Gruditch
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

"Filling the Void" is an excellent idea now that the butterfly season is fading. Some cracking fungus photos.

My i/d skills are scarcely better than zero. So some help please with this collection I have put together:

http://www.weatherjackwx.co.uk/snapper/ ... gi-01.html

(I can identify no 01 as Fly Agaric but that's about it!)

Jack. Weather information available at http://www.splatterjack.co.uk
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Hya Jack, i have emailed you on this. In 17 years as a fairly good field mycologist, i took loads of fungi pics,, probably thousands. I probably ID'd positively around 200 of these, and almost all not by appearance only. Maybe a good field mycologist might achieve more Ids in the field than me, but the identification of fungi is really for the lab technician, or microscope enthusiast. Cheers,,, Zonda.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Missed this thread before... any ID's on these please??...

and these are pretty obvious..
David M

Post by David M »

This is getting out of control now :D

Trouble is, what'll 'fill the void' once the mushroom season's over?

Just to continue the trend, I found two beautiful Agarics side by side in the Isle of Man last Tuesday. They looked good enough to eat... :twisted:
In for a penny...
In for a penny...

Return to “General”