Paul

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
traplican

Re: Paul

Post by traplican »

Paul wrote:Some fungi from the garden today, no idea what they're called :oops: ...
all 1:40 f8.0 iso 400 filtered.
Devil's Snuffbox - Lycoperdon perlatum. Edible and delicateus as long as it is clearly white and compact inside. Apropriate to meat, sauces or as "false brain".

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jan Jurníček
Paul

Post by Paul »

Ohhh K..... not sure I dare try it.. :D ... but I might :roll: :D or should it be :mrgreen: thans Traplican... any ideas about the other bright green/blue one??

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
traplican

Post by traplican »

Paul wrote:Ohhh K..... not sure I dare try it.. :D ... but I might :roll: :D or should it be :mrgreen: thans Traplican... any ideas about the other bright green/blue one??
Sorry, I don't other mushrooms from your photos. :(

Jan Jurníček
traplican

Post by traplican »

[quote="Paul"]A comparison of maculinae species from Switzerland in 2010....
Mountain Alcon... rather worn male and underside...

. . But this photo has taken me. ... Seems like Mazarine Blue - Cyaniris semiargus for me.

Jan Jurníček
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I agree - those are perfectly edible (if bland) - but I think a very wise policy is never to eat mushrooms on the basis of advice from people you might never have met, based on a photograph you post on the internet! :D That way lies tragedy!!

If you don't have a good book, Roger Philips's mushroom guide is completely free and online (and has been for some years). It is here:

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

Type Lycoperdon into the search box and you'll get all the info on perlatum and related species.

Guy

EDIT - just noticed Traplican's comment on the rebeli. Mazarine blue does fly at that site but the picture is definitely of mountain alcon. Apart from the wingshape, the submarginal markings on the underside give it away. They are very noticeable on the hindwing, towards the anal angle.

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
traplican

Post by traplican »

Thank you, Guy. I can beside warn before confusion between Lycoperdon sp. and Scleroderma sp. :!:

Jan Jurníček
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Paul:
...no idea what they're called....
Obviously one of the phalloid group of species.

Jack

traplican

Post by traplican »

Jack Harrison wrote:Paul:
...no idea what they're called....
Obviously one of the phalloid group of species.

Jack
You exaggerate. In fact there is no hazard in eating Lycoperdon sp.. I eat in a aprox. 40 years.
There is a risk in confusion of button mushroom with phalloid group of species (The Death Cap - Amanita phalloides, The Destroying Angel - Amanita virosa, Amanita verna) if you don't give enough consideration to the shape of mushroom stalk
bottom (phalloid Amanitas grow from semi-free sheath or "egg") and color of leafs.

But never eat no mushrooms if you don't know risk their potential doubles! I think by Lycoperdon is no if you know also Scleroderma sp. - but this mushroom is hard and blackens inside soon than softens.

Jan Jurníček
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I was alluding to the shapes of the objects when I “invented” the word phalloid. I hadn’t realised that there is a real group of species called phalloid. I wonder why they are so called? :)

I'd better shut up before I cause further misunderstandings.

Jack

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

There is even a genus of mushrooms called Phallus, Jack! This includes the common stinkhorn, Phallus impudicus. You don't need to be a classical scholar to know what that means!

Amanita phalloides is not particularly phallic in appearance compared to some other mushrooms. The name might mean 'like a phallus' or maybe 'like Phallus', referring to the stinkhorn. Among the (very unpleasant) toxins it contains are members of the phallotoxin group, named after phalloides.

Guy

The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Padfield:
....This includes the common stinkhorn, Phallus impudicus....
impudicus sounds a most useful term of abuse as in: "You nasty little impudicus!". Must remember that......

But as before, it seems that someone got the idea before me, ie the Greeks and the Romans:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_%28gesture%29

Jack

traplican

Post by traplican »

Jack Harrison wrote:I was alluding to the shapes of the objects when I “invented” the word phalloid. I hadn’t realised that there is a real group of species called phalloid. I wonder why they are so called? :)

I'd better shut up before I cause further misunderstandings.

Jack
Phalloid group of Amanitas, phalloid group of intoxication (see alpha-amanitin). But more latin names in mycology relate to genitalia, e.g. The Grisette or Stinkhorn so it seems that mycologist had some obscession.

Jan Jurníček
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hey Jack.... if your's resembles the photos, I;d go see your GP :lol: :lol: wonderful conversation, I too had no idea there were phallic names like that..... but I do wonder why there is an Erebia pharte.... does it squeak or something.... duuuuur :D

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

And I thought Paul would be upset his wonderful diary had been sabotaged...
Jack Harrison wrote:"You nasty little impudicus!". Must remember that...
O homuncule impudice! would carry real contempt.

I don't know the etymology of pharte . Most Erebia species are Greek mythological characters and many have a connection with the underworld. But it is an unfortunate name, I admit.

If mycologists have a thing about phalli it's sort of understandable. What I've never understood is all the sexual innuendo surrounding orchids (orchis is Greek for the male part that gets inflamed when you suffer from orchitis).

Guy

Paul

Post by Paul »

Moths dwindling now, but still some interesting ones...
Figure of Eight

Angle Shades

Green Brindled Crescent ab. capucina

Paul

Post by Paul »

2Speckled Wood, 2 Comma and a Small Tort enjoying some of the last sunshine of the year in the garden....

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Tiny bit of confusion happening fungi-wise in this thread, regarding the specific epithet phalloides. The Amanita genus contains some of the most poisonous species in the world. Amanita phalloides 'The Death Cap' pictured below is the most common in these isles, and along with Amanita virosa 'The Destroying Angel', causes most fatal, or near fatal poisonings. Within the Amanita genus the sub-section Phalloideae contains the poisonous species. Phallus impudicus 'The Common Stinkhorn' is of a completely seperate genus, and is shaped as described. Stinkhorns are not poisonous, but smell like rotten flesh to attract flies which then spread their spores. Some people eat them at the egg stage, before they have expanded. The Victorians, being victorian, would only allow them to be illustrated upside-down. Most puffballs are edible when young, and still have a white interior.
Common Stinkhorn

Cheers,,, Zonda.
traplican

Post by traplican »

Classification of Fly Agaric ammong the "deadly" in http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/ seems exorbitant for me. Fly Agaric is poisonous mushromm and causes various pictures of poisonings related to environment where the mushroom has origined (from mountain areas soon hallucinations and neurotoxic syndroms, from lowlands soon muscarine type of intoxication) but doesn't cause deadly poisonings and is easily recognizable.

Panther Cap (Amanita pantherina) contains the same poisons but in aprox. 4x higher concentration and may cause heavy (exceptionally deadly) poisonings if it is mistaken for eatable (and tasty :P ) Blusher - Amanita rubescens. But confusion asks considerable inattention because markings of A. rubescens are clear: Presence of pink on the pileus skin and on the lesions (the bottom of the stalk is offen infested by insects) and vertically mild grooved ring.

Inocybe rubescens (= patouillardii) contains allegedly 1000x higher concentration of muscarine than Fly Agaric.

Galerina autumnalis = Galerina marginata - Deadly Galerina or Funeral Bell contains similar poisons like A. phalloides and may be mistaken with eatable and tasty Sheathed Woodtuft - Kuehneromyces mutabilis.

Boletus satanas causes heavy and painful convulsions of digestive tract if it is eaten raw or few heat treated. In literature is alleged that it is harmless alfter 30 min boil but it isn't recomended to test it.

Cortinarius orellanus or C. speciosissimus is really deadly and insidiously poisonous and causes kidney failure after 4 days to a number of weeks after eating. These mushrooms cause poisonings with the longest time of latency (if we don't include mushrooms containing mutagenous agents like White Domecap - Lyophyllum connatum).

Jan Jurníček
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Traplican said:
Classification of Fly Agaric ammong the "deadly" in http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/ seems exorbitant for me. Fly Agaric is poisonous mushromm and causes various pictures of poisonings related to environment where the mushroom has origined (from mountain areas soon hallucinations and neurotoxic syndroms, from lowlands soon muscarine type of intoxication) but doesn't cause deadly poisonings and is easily recognizable.
Yes,,, i can see your point, but maybe if my heart wasn't so good, or i was maybe on medication of another sort. Or maybe frail or whatever. I can see why Roger Phillips has labeled it 'deadly', mainly to cover himself. I think i would have done the same. Also i think maybe the amount eaten may come into the equation. Drugs of any sort are taken for the 'high', but take too much, and its 'Goodnight Kate'. It maybe capable of causing death in very extreme cases, and like Phillips i don't really think we should be encouraging people to ingest it.

I must say Traplican,,, i agree with most of what you say, on the other species mentioned. :D

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

My apologies to Paul for infiltrating his diary with our fungi rubbish. Feel free to edit it all. :)

Cheers,,, Zonda.

Return to “Personal Diaries”