NEW WEBSITE

Discussion forum for discussing the weather, both now and predicted!
Jack Harrison

NEW WEBSITE

Post by Jack Harrison »

NEW WEBSITE

You will know how I have occasionally been irked when someone posts: “...unexpected rain...” when it certainly had been no surprise to me that it rained. It was suggested that I should publish details of where most easily to find weather information on the internet.

I have made a website with I hope an easy-to-remember name:
splatterjack (memo - think splattering rain drops)

http://www.splatterjack.co.uk

There will be errors so this is in effect a Beta version. Do point out errors (not everyone at once please!) and suggestions for improvements. Write direct to my e-mail address at the bottom of the first webpage or on the forum.

Jack
Michaeljf

Re: NEW WEBSITE

Post by Michaeljf »

Great stuff Jack...now added to my favourites. I hope it'll come into it's own next spring... :)
Michael
David M

Post by David M »

Jack, this is most in order and I too have saved the site to my favourites.

If I am able to derive benefit from it next year you shall be duly rewarded.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

And the added bonus is that after the butterflies have finished, we birders can still make use of your splendid site in an attempt to be in the right place at the right time - whether to enjoy the spectacle of a decent fall, observe hard weather movements, look out for overshooting spring migrants, selecting the right headland for a decent seawatch or just be ready for some busy viz-migging.

There are currently several exceedingly rare North American birds in Britain at the moment. Plus others from far to the east. October is well known as the month when migrant landbirds heading down the eastern seaboard of the US can be caught up in hurricane-associated winds and occasionally end up being flung our way. As can exciting (for us!) insects such as Monarchs and Green Darners. And from the continent Camberwell Beauties and Clouded Yellows will utilise favourable winds, along with commoner migrants such as Red Admirals and Large Whites (although obviously that's not just during October!)

Understanding weather patterns can greatly improve the chances of not wasting-your-time in the field, as well hinting at which species may be on offer (although this probably applies more to birds than butterflies, but the principle is the same.) I suspect many folk simply say, "it's sunny today. I'll see if anything's about" and don't really comprehend the 'bigger picture'. Judging by some of my own mishaps this year I reckon I fit that category quite nicely :lol:

You have a very useful site indeed, Jack. It's bookmarked already!

So if ever I find my near-mythical UK Hooded Warbler or Oleander Hawkmoth it'll probably be thanks to my previously viewing a website such as yours. And the drinks will be on me! :)

Cheers,

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.

Return to “Weather”