Plans for next year?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Susie

Plans for next year?

Post by Susie »

Does anyone have any particular plans for next year or target species they want to see?

I have yet to see small pearl bordered fritillary so that's one for my wish list. Small blue escaped me this year too, so that's another one. Both should be quite easy to achieve (I hope!).
David M

Re: Plans for next year?

Post by David M »

I intend to see all the British species I've not yet seen (14 of them).

My determination rating for my top 5 (on a scale of 1-10) is as follows:

1. Mountain Ringlet 9.9
2. Chequered Skipper 9.8
3. Swallowtail 9.6
4. Large Blue 9.5
5. Glanville Fritillary 9.4

Most of the rest can be reliably seen in several locations so I won't fret so much about those.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I would love to see the first two on David's list, plus the other two UK species I have yet to see - Large Heath and Northern Brown Argus. Also, I haven't seen a Swallowtail since 2004, so must make an effort to head off to Norfolk.

Dave
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

plans for next year. hmmm. i have come to the conclusion this year that i'm actually an armchair butterfly watcher. i seem to get far more pleasure seeing butterflies in the garden than i do seeing them where they are supposed to be. It won't stop me walking round reserves like Denbies or Bentley as there is far more there for me than just butterflies, so i don't really have any target species. what i do plan to do is keep experimenting with plants and managing the garden in a wildlife friendly way. the number of crickets has increased, glowing glow worms increased to 2 from zero in my first summer here, got my first grasshoppers in the back garden this year, increased my butterfly caterpillar species in the garden to 5, macro moth caterpillar species is up into the 20's.and spiders, what i lacked in variety is certainly being made up for in numbers this autumn. so.... more Plants, possibly a new small grass area of native butterfly friendly species from a filled in pond. and a new pond. they are plans but just undecided on how big and where to put the pond. :)

Chris
Susie

Post by Susie »

David M wrote:I intend to see all the British species I've not yet seen (14 of them).

My determination rating for my top 5 (on a scale of 1-10) is as follows:

1. Mountain Ringlet 9.9
2. Chequered Skipper 9.8
3. Swallowtail 9.6
4. Large Blue 9.5
5. Glanville Fritillary 9.4

Most of the rest can be reliably seen in several locations so I won't fret so much about those.
3., 4., and 5., of your wish list are on mine too but probably not for next year (although it is possible). Seeing these would probably mean an overnight stay somewhere.

I'd also like to go up to Butterfly World in St Albans but that is quite a long drive there and back for one day as well.
Susie

Post by Susie »

ChrisC wrote: and spiders, what i lacked in variety is certainly being made up for in numbers this autumn.
Let me know if you want a Steatoda nobilis or some rosemary beetles to add to your garden. :wink:
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

My main target for 2011 is Mountain Ringlet of both races. We spent quite a lot of effort this year checking the sites at the right time (but in rubbish weather) and again in glorious weather (but left it just too late, grrrrrr) That's the only missing UK resident apart from Real's Wood White in Ireland. I also still need oblita Speckled Wood, rhoumensis Small Heath on Rhum (at least!), caledonia Scotch Argus and polydama Large Heath. So another trip is needed to Scotland next summer. Not that it's a problem, I simply love it up there and we still need to find Pine Martens and Parrot Crossbills. Sami also missed White-letter Hairstreak on our Big Year Attempt (and needs it as a lifer too) although she saw 2 polydama Large Heaths to compensate!

Then there's all the Irish subspecies. A quick look at flight times would seem to indicate 4 seperate trips are required to clear up on ALL of the endemics on offer. As stated, Real's Wood White is the only full species I need over there. Plus my girlfriend has a bit of a thing for bearded Irish guys, so maybe one (very) brief visit would do!!!! :lol:

And oddities like Monarch, Camberwell Beauty, Black-veined White, Short-tailed Blue,.....Arran Brown..... :wink:

BTW, we're more than happy to team up with folks on our travels. Our expertise is limited, but we're keen as mustard and usually see what we set off to find.

Cheers for now

Seth & Sami (56 and 55 species for 2010 so far. Both still awaiting an elusive Clouded Yellow though....)
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

I have a dozen or so species on my target list for next season. Some of which aren't that hard, but have eluded me in my first two seasons. If i can get half of the list below, i'll be happy. I'm leaving the silly ones for now, sorry Swallowtails.
Grizzled Skipper
Wood White
Green Hairstreak
White-letter Hairstreak
Silver-studded Blue
Duke of Burgundy Frit.
White Admiral (Seen this season, but not photographed)
Purple Emperor
Small Pearl-bordered Frit.
Pearl-bordered Frit.
High Brown Frit.
Dark Green Frit.
Glanville Frit.

Still to add places and flight times to this list. Also i'd like a few re-matches with a few i've seen this year. Large Blue being a definite. I bet someone will report some Clouded Yellows in my area now that i've ripped a tendon and am quite lame. Still could have happened mid-season,,,, blessings counted. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
David M

Post by David M »

Gibster wrote:we still need to find Pine Martens
Many years ago, I spent a few months working in Oban on the west coast. One of my colleagues lived in Connel and she used to get pine martens in her garden!!
sami

Post by sami »

Zonda wrote:
Also i'd like a few re-matches with a few i've seen this year.
Sounds like war, Zonda! I've had that feeling too. Mountain Ringlet and White-letter Hairstreak, I'm talkin' to you. You thought you could break me, you underestimated me. Next year, it's personal.....!
Please sponsor us on our honeymoon adventure raising money for Butterfly Conservation!
www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk
:)
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Thanks for the offer Susie but i have my steatoda nobilis, grossa and bipunctata. :) but i wouldn't mind some rosemary beetle , attractive wee beasties ;) and you reminded me. Butterfly world would be one for me too.

Chris
Susie

Post by Susie »

sami wrote:
Zonda wrote:
Also i'd like a few re-matches with a few i've seen this year.
Sounds like war, Zonda! I've had that feeling too. Mountain Ringlet and White-letter Hairstreak, I'm talkin' to you. You thought you could break me, you underestimated me. Next year, it's personal.....!
lol. Love it! :D
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

It really brings out the 'Monty' in me.. :lol:

Have a question regarding my plans for next season, and don't expect an answer today, because everyone is at Kempton Park. Sorry i can't be there, i've mullered a tendon in my knee.

Can Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, and Purple Emperor be all seen on the wing, and in reasonable condition, on the same day in any normal season at Bentley Wood? Do their flight periods over-lap at all?
YES or NO answer would probably be best, don't want to get too complicated about it. :D

It just may save me having to go there several times. Maybe i'm being a bit optimistic tho. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi Zonda,
the answer would be a most likely 'no'. Most likely you'd be okay to see the SPBF and the Purple Emperor at the same time at Bentley, but not the Pearl-Bordered because it should be gone by the start of July. I have seen Pearl Bordered and SPB at the same time on the 'butterfly trail' at Haldon Woods/Forest at Exeter in that the start of the SPB and then end of the PB broods overlap in mid June.
And no, not everyone is at Kempton Park :wink:
Michael
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Thanks Mike,,, as usual, i may well have to make multiple trips to get pics of what i want. My trouble is that i expect stuff to 'queue up' for me to get the pics. All the folks on here know i'm a twitcher at heart. Are you are that way too? :lol:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hey Zonda, so you're a twitcher? Birds? Me too! I couldn't get away for the Blakeney Empid (but got the Cornwall bird) or Tiree Parula, but I've seen 'em all on the other side of The Pond anyway. Hooded Warbler is my missing species...one of those babies turns up and I'm gone!

Back to butterflies...we had really good numbers of SPBF (well, 30-40) at Bentley on 9th June this year. Dead easy, all over the clearing at knee-height and allowing excellent views. I saw 2 PBFs slowly and weakly flying amongst the SPBF, but they were raggedy as hell and badly faded. Not the way to tick a lifer! We had pristine ones on 9th May in the same clearing, again allowing really good views. I'd suggest getting them both as early as possible during their flight season to do them justice.

We also had a Grizzled Skipper and a rather faded Duke of Burgundy in the same clearing on 9th June, so you could get a whole bag of lifers if your luck's in!

Flight season according to the Hants Butterfly Report 2009:
PB Fritillary 21 April - 2 June
SPB Fritillary 20 May - July (not stated) (2nd brood to 29 Aug)
Purple Emperor 24 June - 9 Aug

I shouldn't hold out much hope for finding 2nd brood SPBFs in Hants though, they seem pretty few and far between. Hope that Clouded Yellow finds you soon, mate - despite your mullered knee!

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Zonda wrote: My trouble is that i expect stuff to 'queue up' for me to get the pics. All the folks on here know i'm a twitcher at heart. Are you are that way too? :lol:
Not really. I've always been interested in butterflies & moths since living next to a lovely patch of common land near my early teen years in Old Woking, Surrey. Don't get me wrong, I like all aspects of nature, and I get a thrill particularly from Birds of Prey and stunning species such as Kingfishers and Owls. I have a problem with hides though, I can't stand them! I can't stand sitting around for hours waiting for a bird (feathered variety) to appear. As you have met me that probably comes as no surprise :mrgreen: Back to the birds, I would like to visit Cley (Norfolk) again this autumn/winter!
:D Michael
Susie

Post by Susie »

ChrisC wrote:Thanks for the offer Susie but i have my steatoda nobilis, grossa and bipunctata. :) but i wouldn't mind some rosemary beetle , attractive wee beasties ;) and you reminded me. Butterfly world would be one for me too.

Chris
Well I have two out of three (which any Meatloaf fan will know, ain't bad) and I now have a spider book, so watch out!

And as for Rosemary beetles, when I found one at the beginning of the year someone suggested I let it go, which I did. Big mistake!! I ended up with dozens and dozens and god knows how many I will end up with next year so you're welcome to the pretty but extremely annoying pests.
Piers

Post by Piers »

Gibster wrote: I shouldn't hold out much hope for finding 2nd brood SPBFs in Hants though, they seem pretty few and far between.
You'll need to go a little further West for second brood PBF and SPBF, which are a regular occurrence in parts of the West Country.

I heard the other day some body giving a pretty convincing explanation of how certain colonies have become genetically predisposed to doing so.

Felix.
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Felix wrote:
Gibster wrote: I shouldn't hold out much hope for finding 2nd brood SPBFs in Hants though, they seem pretty few and far between.
You'll need to go a little further West for second brood PBF and SPBF, which are a regular occurrence in parts of the West Country.

I heard the other day some body giving a pretty convincing explanation of how certain colonies have become genetically predisposed to doing so.

Felix.
Hi Felix,

In S.W. Cornwall 1 mile north of the Lizard Point - Kynance Cove (500yards south of it in coastal disused serpentine quarry) has an annual large 2nd brood of S.P.B.Fritillary with 45+ being seen on this year's Cornwall Butterfly Conservation field trip alone! Guaranteed to be seen in good weather from end of July until late August, (optimum time 5th-17th August). If you don't agree with nets though don't come on our fieldtrip as several of us DO carry nets to show the less nimble attendees some of the flighty wildlife there including migrant & day-flying moths. It is high cliffs & walking boots only so not suitable for elderly or infirm. We hold it annually on about 1st Saturday of August each year. All welcome.
Cheers,
Lee (Cornwall).

Return to “General”