Film camera lens

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Merv0728

Film camera lens

Post by Merv0728 »

I am in the throws of buying a Digital SLR & have 3 lens from a Pentax film camera. I know that 2 of them can be used with a Digital with limitations but I would like to know if I should take these into account when considering which Digital to buy. Are they of any use at all ?
The cameras I am considering are a Nikon D200,a Canon 400D & a Pentax K10D.

Thanks for any advice
Alan
Martin

Post by Martin »

Merv...I don't know anything about the Pentax, but it's a bit unfair to compare the other two. The Canon is considered "Entry Level" and the Nikon is a "Semi Pro". The Canon equivalent of the D200 would be a 30D and the Nikon equal of the 400D would be thier D80.
I would strongly recommend you buy Canon or Nikon if only for the range of lenses you can choose from.
I think the best way to choose is to set a budget, and then handle the cameras in question. It can be quite easy to choose as one will feel more intuitive than the other...it will just be "right".

Hope this helps,

Martin. (Canon through and through)
JKT

Post by JKT »

You forgot to tell what the lenses in question were. If they are high quality (read expensive) then it might be a good idea to stick to Pentax, which should be a pretty good camera. On the other hand, if they are cheapos, there is no point in limiting your choice of system.
BRIAN

new dslr

Post by BRIAN »

Merv, my ten penneth for what it's worth, I would be go for the Canon, I have a rebel xt, same as the 350d, I.m just getting to grips with it, and having a lot of good results, you do need a good macro lens
again stick with top brands for the sharpest optics, choice again would be Canon, Sigms and if funds are a little tight the Tamron
hope this helps

Return to “Photography”