Sites for BBC Natural History Unit

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Sites for BBC Natural History Unit

Post by Pete Eeles »

I received the following message from Valeria Fabbri-Kennedy, a researcher at the BBC Natural History Unit, and would appreciate your thoughts.

"We are thinking of doing a short film about butterflies. Is there a particular place where there is a 'butterfly spectacle' in the UK? A meadow or wood where you can see dozens/hundreds? Can you suggest any species/locations that would be of interest to film? Any help or advice would be most welcome".

My hot spot would be Bentley Wood in early July. At this time of year, one of the “highlights” of the butterfly season – seeing the Purple Emperor – happens! Even if these elusive creatures are not flying, at that time of year you will easily find good numbers of skippers, Ringlet, Silver-washed Fritillary, Marbled White, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, and the occasional White Admiral.

All suggestions welcome (please reply on this thread) - thanks!

Cheers,

- Pete
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

I would suggest July on Arnside. For me it is a huge journey (600 mile + round trip) but I still visit at least twice a year.
The sheer numbers of butterflies are amazing, and some are so special - HBF, NBA, Scotch Argus etc.
I agree with Bentley as well, and would also add a Dorset/Hampshire chalkhill with huge numbers of blues.
For an oddity I would suggest they visit Glapthorne during the brief Black Hairstreak emergence to see the butterflies outnumbered by the watchers (also Hordle's Glanvilles for the same reason!)
HTH
Roger Harding
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Roger. Good response. Thinking about this - perhaps members are willing to share their "top 10" sites. Mine are below, and perhaps we could consolidate these into an overall "top 10" list for the website!

Also - I reserve the right to change my mind :)

1. Bentley Wood
2. Martin Down
3. Arnside Knott
4. Old Winchester Hill
5. Noar Hill
6. Cerne Abbas
7. Stockbridge Down
8. Pamber Forest
9. Finemere Wood
10. Oaken Wood

Cheers,

- Pete
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Edford Meadows in the Mells valley of north Somerset. No rarities, but vast numbers of Meadow Browns amid the green-winged orchids and the knapweed.

This must have one of the most unprepossessing access routes of any nature reserve in the country.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I have seen in recent years that Whitespots country park: http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/ ... uctID=2724 is a great place for common blue, meadow brown, red admiral, six spot burnet and a few others. In some years there can be loads of six spot burnet and common blues flying around. Going there is summer to really check out the local critters.

Reason its good is becuase it has forests, meadows, lakes and open areas. On the rocks on good days in June or July, you can see many Common Blue basking, its a great sight. Also I think there is Brown Argus. have not been in a year.
eccles

Post by eccles »

The rides of Somerford Meadows - especially the ride opposite the little car park right in the middle of the woodland is a mass of butterflies in July. I counted around 17 species in that one little spot in an hour. I snapped my first (and so far, only) white admiral there too.
Clanger Wood is wonderful for silverwashed fritillary. You can see half a dozen from the car park.
I also remember my first visit to Hazelbury Common, with dozens of pyramid and spotted orchids. Every scabius flower had at least one six spot burnet, many with four or five, and they were so prolific that they looked like flies. There were lots of marbled whites there, and I snapped my first adonis blue the same day. Later in the summer the same spot was heaving with gatekeepers, and it's good for chalkhill blue as well.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

That place sounds great, maybe someday I will make a trip there. Sounds really worth seeing.
markatbath

Post by markatbath »

Hazelbury common is my first choice , its a small area but holds a huge number of butterflies,moths and orchids.If anyones interested the green winged orchids are in full flower there now.
regards
mark

Return to “Sites”