Depression

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
David M

Re: Depression

Post by David M »

Michaeljf wrote:Come over to Wales Nick, you'd be guaranteed rain most days. Then you'd be glad for living where you are :| No wonder David gets depressed here!
Indeed. It's coming to something when you have to escape to a 30x15 mile chunk of rock in the middle of the exposed Irish Sea to get some decent sun on your back! The weather here is truly abominable and I'm getting to the point when I honestly think if we don't see an improvement next year I'm genuinely going to consider relocating elsewhere.
Jonathan Evans

Post by Jonathan Evans »

In the recent months I've taken great pleasure in observing the activities of the Speckled Woods that are resident in my Garden. I have frequently moved their favourite white, plastic garden chair (which they use as a basking platform), as the shadows begin to lengthen. Now I seem to have just one individual left, which I sadly watch as it begins to wear and fade, and holes appear in it's once fine wings. It seems to be so symbolic of the butterfly year; but then I remember that it is all part of the process, all is as it should be, and that my Speckled Wood's offspring will emerge in all their glory next Spring. A silver lining to the very dark Welsh clouds of Autumn. :D :D
David M

Post by David M »

Jonathan Evans wrote:In the recent months I've taken great pleasure in observing the activities of the Speckled Woods that are resident in my Garden. I have frequently moved their favourite white, plastic garden chair (which they use as a basking platform), as the shadows begin to lengthen. Now I seem to have just one individual left, which I sadly watch as it begins to wear and fade, and holes appear in it's once fine wings. It seems to be so symbolic of the butterfly year; but then I remember that it is all part of the process, all is as it should be, and that my Speckled Wood's offspring will emerge in all their glory next Spring. A silver lining to the very dark Welsh clouds of Autumn. :D :D
You cruel tease, Jon :)

Poor SWs, and so sad that you've witnessed their demise one by one. I'm sure there'll be plenty more from next April.
Jonathan Evans

Post by Jonathan Evans »

That thought keeps me going :lol:
NickB

Post by NickB »

...a bit more damp and we might have frits like you in Wales...but we are colder and drier and have lost most....
..at least I am only 60 miles from Swallowtails! :mrgreen:
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

It's all very well having fritillaries, but if conditions are too abominable to look for them it is not so much use. I remember looking for High Brown fritillaries a few years back on the hills above Newport, but being frustrated by the intense, horizontal rain, which only let up when I had retreated from the neighbourhood. I have not tried to look for rare butterflies in Wales since.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Matsukaze wrote:It's all very well having fritillaries, but if conditions are too abominable to look for them it is not so much use. I remember looking for High Brown fritillaries a few years back on the hills above Newport, but being frustrated by the intense, horizontal rain, which only let up when I had retreated from the neighbourhood. I have not tried to look for rare butterflies in Wales since.
I wouldn't give up on Wales completely. The weather can be wet but we also get sun, and a fantastic diversity of wildlife and fantastic landscape. If you don't come you won't know what you're missing. :|

Michael
White-Letter Hairstreak, Cardiff
White-Letter Hairstreak, Cardiff
Brown Hairstreak, West Williamstone, Pembrokeshire
Brown Hairstreak, West Williamstone, Pembrokeshire
High Brown Fritillary, Vale of Glamorgan
High Brown Fritillary, Vale of Glamorgan
Bittern in reedbed, Cardiff
Bittern in reedbed, Cardiff
Red Kite, Brecon Beacons
Red Kite, Brecon Beacons
Black Mountains, early summer
Black Mountains, early summer
Black Mountain, Brecon Beacons
Black Mountain, Brecon Beacons
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Wow Michael, those photos are lovely.

Particularly like the Red Kite with the shadow of the head on the wing.

Do you work for the Welsh tourist board? :wink:

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Lee Hurrell wrote:Do you work for the Welsh tourist board? :wink: Cheers Lee
No, but I did wonder after doing the post :mrgreen: Mind you, I was only talking about the landscape and the nature, I didn't mention the Welsh :wink:
Michael
Butterfly Gardener

Post by Butterfly Gardener »

:lol:
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

We had several mountain bike holidays in the Black Mountains. Tis a wonderful place, fantastic trails, great scenery, and some pretty good potholing too. Used to base ourselves at Crickhowell, lovely little town, but the woman who own the campsite was a bit of a witch.

Regards Gruditch
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Gruditch wrote:We had several mountain bike holidays in the Black Mountains. Tis a wonderful place, fantastic trails, great scenery, and some pretty good potholing too. Used to base ourselves at Crickhowell, lovely little town, but the woman who own the campsite was a bit of a witch. Regards Gruditch
View across Crickhowell looking across towards the fort
View across Crickhowell looking across towards the fort
I was going to say - my computer kept on crashing , hence loading up the picture first (damn virus software) that Crickhowell is a lovely spot in the Black Mountains. A lovely part of the Black Mountains with some lovely walks - the valleys there remind me of the Lake District (maybe I've gone mad, tis true). Crickhowell is also right next to Llangattock Escarpment, a great place for climbing. Crickhowell is named after Crug Hywel, the Iron Age Fort above the town (see picture above - the Fort is the flattened-top part to the right). Anyway, my computer seems to have died down now...we take you back to normal service from the Welsh Tourist Board... :wink:
Michael
Last edited by Michaeljf on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

How do I load images without them appearing smaller and only expanding as click-ons? I'd show a puzzled look but they don't really have the symbol...:?
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Hya Mike, you can copy them from an outside photobank, and paste them in the img,,, that's after clicking on img of course. This is what i do,,, from Picasa. I get the choice of three sizes from there. Looking forward to a 'rare bit' of Welsh info. :wink:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Nice pic, takes me back a bit. If I remember rightly, that's Sugar loaf looming above those sheep, a great descent, worth the climb. :)

Regards Gruditch
David M

Post by David M »

Gruditch wrote:We had several mountain bike holidays in the Black Mountains. Tis a wonderful place, fantastic trails, great scenery, and some pretty good potholing too. Used to base ourselves at Crickhowell, lovely little town, but the woman who own the campsite was a bit of a witch.

Regards Gruditch
Hope you're not referring to Mary at Pyscodlyn Caravan Site between Abergavenny & Crickhowell. :P
NickB

Post by NickB »

Looking forward to the response, Gruditch :oops: :wink:
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

I have a feeling it would be a lot more amusing if I was, but no it was the one in Crickhowell, just over the bridge on the left. :lol:

Regards Gruditch
David M

Post by David M »

Gruditch wrote:I have a feeling it would be a lot more amusing if I was, but no it was the one in Crickhowell, just over the bridge on the left. :lol:

Regards Gruditch
Thank God for that!

I daresay you've been in 'The Bear' at Crickhowell?

Beautiful pub and excellent food.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

We Stayed at Crickhowell quite a bit, so at one point or another, we probably used every pub there. The best one as I remember, was the one by the bridge. This was all back in the mid 90's though, so it could be c@@p now. :)

Regards Gruditch

Return to “General”