Eyewitness Handbooks "Butterflies and Moths"

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Dave McCormick

Eyewitness Handbooks "Butterflies and Moths"

Post by Dave McCormick »

If you want a good book that explores a range of butterflies and moths, I'd recommend "Eyewitness Handbooks Butterflies and Moths" by David Carter.

It has some good sections at start and has some ery unusual moths and some butterflies you would not see everyday, plus the main British species. It does not tell you much about the butterflies and moths themselves, but their locations and a desctiption of what they look like and has photos of specimins from the Natural History musuem.

Has some I never heard of before such as the "Fire Grid Burnet moth" and "Diva Moth" and "Western Pygmy blue" the worlds smallest butterfly.

It has two pages on observation and two on rearing leps and two pages on life cycle and pages on early stages.

I got it in 1995 and it has done me well ever since. It helps on many ocations to identify the butterflies and moths. If there were more in book, it might help, but it does have over 500 butterflies and moths from around the world.

If it were not for this book, my website I am creating would not have as much information as it does now.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Here is a pic:

Here is some more info:
Product Details
• Author: David Carter
• Publisher: DK Publishing
• Publication Date: August 2002
• Cover Type: flexibound
• Pages: 304 pages, 6 x 8 1/2
full-color photographs, maps

Product Description
Thoroughly researched and expertly written, each species entry combines a precise description with annotated photographs to highlight the chief characteristics and distinguishing features of each butterfly or moth. A distribution map, showing the geographical range of the species, as well as color-coded bands, providing at-a-glance facts, complete every entry.

Formerly part of the DK Handbooks series, this handbook is the clearest identification guide to butterflies and moths for beginners and established enthusiasts alike.
here is a place to buy it (2002 paperback): http://www.bookzone.co.uk/rp=193164,info=1553251

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”