Durlston for Clouded Yellow

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
KeynvorLogosenn

Durlston for Clouded Yellow

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Hi All,
I was wondering whether there has been any news on whether the Clouded Yellows are likely to be at Durlston towards the end of the week. The high pressure seems to be playing ball which in theory should attract them over from the continent. The only day I have free from work is Friday, and it is going to be a bit of an expense if I decide to go. How likely do you think it'll be for a few Clouded Yellow to have made it over by then?
Thanks
Em
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Durlston for Clouded Yellow

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Emily,

Have a look at the Durlston diary http://www.durlston.co.uk/index.php?id= ... 6&pg=Aug10. The last sighting of a Clouded Yellow was reported on Saturday 28th August (only one) and before that, on Wednesday 18th. I have been monitoring the situation as well because I am holidaying down there next week. Worryingly (for me) the last report of a Lulworth Skipper was on Monday 16th August.

Vince
KeynvorLogosenn

Thanks for the link Vince,
I think I might leave Friday's attempt. I have been asked to cover a shift and I would have to hire a car to get down there as Dad needs our one for the day. Might give next week a go however. :D
Have a nice time on Holiday,
Em
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Hi Em,

If you decide to go, DO let me know - I might be able to join you....

T.
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Apologies for butting in, but we visited Durlston on Saturday and Monday over the bank holiday weekend. Unfortunately missing the Clouded Yellow on the Saturday but we did see a few Lulworth Skippers, one at Ballard Down and two or three at Durlston.
A good spot at Durlston was up on the right from the tarmac path down to the lighthouse just before the bridge that crosses the gulley. On previous occasions they've been on the grassy slopes above the gulley. We also found one male in a small gulley just off the butterfly trail just past a small wooden footbridge and 5 bar gate entering a field. The footbridge or rather plank of wood enters a woody section of the western end of the gulley. Then there is a 5 bar gate. Just after the gate is an obvious path to the left zig zagging steeply uphill. If you take this path you will see the small dead end gulley. We saw male Lulworth here last weekend and the weekend before.

Good luck Vince.

Regards

Paul
Cheers Paul

Post by Vince Massimo »

Thanks for the information Paul, that's very useful. It's not desperate that I see Lulworth Skipper, but it would help to nudge me towards 50 species for the year assuming I see Clouded Yellow and Painted Lady as well. (Never thought I would be saying that after last year). I am interested in your sighting of a Lulworth Skipper at Ballard Down. Can you describe the location? I know Ballard Down very well, because our regular campsite at Ulwell is directly across the road from the lay-by at the main entrance and that's where we are staying next week.

As for Clouded Yellow, if I fail in Dorset, I will try one of my other favourite sites, Birling Gap in Sussex. I will report any significant sightings on the forum, but nothing is likely to compare with what happened there last year.

Cheers,

Vince
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Vince,

I also love Birling Gap, I spent much time there as a lad. My first ever Marbled Whites, Walls and possibly Chalkhills and Dark Green Frits. Those last two might have been on the North Downs at Kemsing though, I can't remember that far back :?

Just for you (that's Birling Gap in the distance):
IMG_6613.jpg
Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Vince

We saw a single female Lulworth Skipper at Ballard Down. From the lay-by we walked uphill and left past the cattle trough to the area where there is a Budleia and a lot of Marjoram with paths crossing through it. The Lulworth Skipper was beside the path that goes up hill to the right of the budleia and then alongside some bushes further up. It was on the left hand side of the path nectaring below the bushes.
Hope these directions make sense.

Paul
Cheers Paul

Post by Vince Massimo »

Thanks Paul, that's about 400 metres from the tent :D

Vince
KeynvorLogosenn

Thanks Paul for the useful info :D
I am considering heading down, this time I will be able to drive our car which is a much easier and quicker :)
Regardless of the weather, I think I may give it a shot. It would be the experience of the drive and not being stuck at home awaiting the 1st Semester which will make my journey worthwhile anyway.

I visited Durlston in Aug and was somewhat successful with the Lulworth Skipper, so another shot at that would also be handy!
Thanks all,
Em

Return to “Sites”