Hairy Caterpillar

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Dave R

Hairy Caterpillar

Post by Dave R »

Thought this might have been a Garden Tiger or similar but looking it up doesn't seem so. Can anyone oblige with the species. Was crawling on the path in my garden so would be interested in the food plant it came from
P1070615a.jpg
Gibster

Re: Hairy Caterpillar

Post by Gibster »

Hi Dave

Looks like a Cream-spot Tiger or possibly a Water Ermine (both ought to be fairly small this time of year, I think.) When and where was the pic taken? Water Ermines are dwellers of marshy areas, mostly in East Anglia. Cream-spot Tigers are found throughout much of southern England. Foodplants of both are stated to be pretty varied!

Or I might be totally wrong, macro larvae are not my speciality!!! :?

Cheers

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Dave R

Post by Dave R »

Lincolnshire and not marshy so not sure location wise fits either of your suggestions !
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

It looks a bit like a Ruby Tiger caterpillar I found earlier this year if that helps!

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Dave R

Post by Dave R »

Similar but not quite I think, it's the brown head that I'm hoping will clinch it with someone.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Dave R wrote:Similar but not quite I think, it's the brown head that I'm hoping will clinch it with someone.
I agree with Gibster - the reddy-brown head would indicate Cream-spot Tiger or Water Ermine. I can't see what else it would be. Perhaps it would be necessary to feed it up and wait until the adult hatches! :wink:
Michael
Dave R

Post by Dave R »

I would if I knew where he went !
Couple more pics I took, just doesn't look right yet, buff ermine looks close but seems to have a reddish tinge that this fellar didn't have
P1070615b.jpg
P1070616a.jpg
P1070613a.jpg

Return to “Identification”