New Canon DSLR & Sigma Rumour

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Rogerdodge

New Canon DSLR & Sigma Rumour

Post by Rogerdodge »

Guys
New Canon DSLR
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-can ... -Canon-60D
Looks very nice.

Also - at the excellent Birdfair last weekend, I chatted to a guy on the Sigma stand.
He says that the Sigma 180mm Macro lens has been discontinued (sad - it is my favourite lens!).
He has heard (just a rumour of course!) that it is to be replaced by a 200mm Macro with O.S. (Optical Stabilisation - the Sigma equivalent of IS).
Sounds pretty good to me.
I also played with the 300 to 800 zoom, and at £5,500 it is beautiful.
He did offer to take the wife in part-exchange.
I am still thinking about it :wink:
Cheers

Roger
Bill S

Re: New Canon DSLR & Sigma Rumour

Post by Bill S »

Rogerdodge wrote:Guys
New Canon DSLR
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-can ... -Canon-60D
Looks very nice.

Also - at the excellent Birdfair last weekend, I chatted to a guy on the Sigma stand.
He says that the Sigma 180mm Macro lens has been discontinued (sad - it is my favourite lens!).
He has heard (just a rumour of course!) that it is to be replaced by a 200mm Macro with O.S. (Optical Stabilisation - the Sigma equivalent of IS).
Sounds pretty good to me.
I also played with the 300 to 800 zoom, and at £5,500 it is beautiful.
Very interesting, a Canon with a fold out screen. For my fungi shots and for some butterflies that would be a nice feature. Although I'm not looking to upgrade I do take note of developments and the 7D seemed like the no-brainer upgrade from my 40D. FPS, resolution and high ISO performance being the main attractions. This seems like a interesting development so will watch the user forums with interest.

Bill
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Bill S wrote:Although I'm not looking to upgrade I do take note of developments and the 7D seemed like the no-brainer upgrade from my 40D. FPS, resolution and high ISO performance being the main attractions. Bill
Bill,
sort-of-following on from earlier discussion...I now have the Canon 7D and Canon 50D. My main reason for getting the 7D was to the need (I felt) to have a camera with a bird lens ready at the same as a butterfly (macro) lens, because you can miss an opportunity in the field by having to exchange lenses. I also wanted to trade in my EOS 1D Mark III (the 10 frames per second Canon body, which was bought primarily for sports and in particular golf action photography) which I was sick of hulking around! As you mention, the 7D is only a little behind the top notch Mark III, as the 7D has 8 frames per second and is a lot lighter and smaller but not too small to feel 'unimportant' :mrgreen: .

My initial impression, as mentioned in another discussion, is that the 7D isn't as good as the 50D (and probably the 40D) with macro shots, or at least through the viewfinder. I have since switched to using the 'Liveview' and found that the macro shots are better. It may be that the 7D has a slightly heavier body than the 50D, and therefore as I 'handhold' for macro shots there is more of a 'bounce' in the camera body unless I use the liveview, which I presume takes the shot with the shutter-mirror already up, hence giving less camera shake.

The bonus of using the 'Liveview', especially with butterflies, is that you do get nearer them with less effort. Plus a butterfly is more likely to 'bu**er off!' with a large monster looming over it, as opposed to a large monster with a 'smaller black object' held nearer the butterfly. Plus, already I have got shots of hairstreaks etc that stayed 'above my head' or at funny angles in bushes, whereas previously I would have missed the shot if I needed to look through the viewfinder rather than 'Liveview'. The only problem with the 'Liveview' is that it takes a second or so more to focus, and sometimes you may miss the shot or the framing may move as your arm strains to hold the camera. Folks who use a tripod (good luck to you!) won't need to worry about shake anyway...

So my advice is, think carefully about upgrading. If you have a good Canon SLR then an upgrade to the 7D (or a more expensive model) may not be necessary, and may just fulfill that need we all have to get that bit of 'extra shopping buzz'. :wink:

Is that "Do as I say, not as I do"? :oops: :roll: :wink:

Michael

P.S. And remember, a 'serious' macro photographer like Robert Thompson would always use both a tripod and medium-format camera, so he'd pooh-pooh our poor digital SLR's anyway.

http://www.robertthompsonphotography.com/
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

I did love my old 40D, but I think the 7D definitely offers enough to make it a worth while upgrade. Especially when LCE gave me £400 back on the 40D.

I would usually say, go for it, its your money, and you can't take it with you. But if you haven't yet got that quality zoom you were after Bill, then I would say your money is better off spent there. :wink:

BTW, I nearly always use a tripod, and can't get on with live-view, so each to there own where their concerned. :D

Regards Gruditch
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Gruditch wrote:I did love my old 40D, but I think the 7D definitely offers enough to make it a worth while upgrade. Especially when LCE gave me £400 back on the 40D.

I would usually say, go for it, its your money, and you can't take it with you. But if you haven't yet got that quality zoom you were after Bill, then I would say your money is better off spent there. :wink:

BTW, I nearly always use a tripod, and can't get on with live-view, so each to there own where their concerned. :D

Regards Gruditch
Me too and I agree that live view is less useful for butterflies than it is for fungi. But for fungi I use live view quite a bit as getting to the viewfinder is tricky. It brings a fair few other advantages in these situations too, but does chew through batteries so I always carry a spare. If I don't use live view my 40D battery seems to last ages. I take your point about a decent zoom but a spare body is nice to have too.

Cheers

Bill
NickB

Post by NickB »

Bill S wrote:[ I take your point about a decent zoom ......
Bill
So what do you think of as a "decent" zoom? I've been looking at the Nikon range and looking at the 80mm-400mm as a possible :o and then the 200mm-400mm :o :shock: £££££'s!
...so, being a miserly old Yorkshireman, I got hold of a 2nd hand Sigma EX f2.8 70-200mm the other day - great for landscapes and fast enough AF for birds/sports....and I can bung-on my 1.4TC.... and it is not bad at all......haven't tried it with tubes as macro yet....
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
NickB

Post by NickB »

Rogerdodge wrote: I also played with the 300 to 800 zoom, and at £5,500 it is beautiful.
Roger, how could you? :shock:
....Who'd make your sandwiches for you....... :roll:
:D
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

....Who'd make your sandwiches for you.......
Nick
I just haven't thought it through properly have I?
Deal cancelled.
Mature Cheddar with Red Onion Marmalade - yum!
Cheers

Roger

Return to “Photography”