Brown Hairstreak, beetles and other stuff

Discussion forum for sightings.
Philzoid

Brown Hairstreak, beetles and other stuff

Post by Philzoid »

Nice weather on Sunday presented me with an opportunity to fit in a visit to Noar Hill to try and see the Brown Hairstreak, a butterfly which I had never seen or made a concerted effort to look for. My daughters Francesca aged 9 and Isabella aged 6 agreed to come with me provided I kept my promise to take them to the Reptile Expo fair at Kempton Park. This I duly did, but time was lost there due to waiting in a queue for 1.5 hours, followed by painfully slow progress to see the stalls once entrance had been gained into the packed hall.
By the time I was able to get to Noar Hill it had gone 4:00 p.m. A dark cloud then appeared over the Selborne area and my thoughts turned to having missed the boat. As I walked up I met people who were leaving, including Mark Tutton whom I’ve bumped into on a few occasions (he’s here; he’s there; he’s everywhere!). True to form Mark had some great BH camera shots including a female with wings open pose. However he wasn’t over optimistic about my chances bearing in mind the time (16:30) and the looming clouds. Thankfully the weather changed for the better. I met a chap called Steve Sheppard and it wasn’t long before he was pointing out a male BH on Hemp Agrimony. What a bold butterfly it was too. I was able to get my camera (little snapshot fuji) on the macro setting right up without disturbing it. Afterwards me and Steve talked shop whilst the kids amused themselves trying to photo the numerous common blues.
Common Blues and Brown Hairstreaks were no the only ones on the list. We also saw; Speckled Wood; Meadow Brown; Gatekeeper; Small White; Small Heath; Holly Blue and (surprisingly) a female White Admiral in good condition. There were numerous Silver-washed fritillaries also, all in very good condition (?). 2 – 3 weeks earlier in Bookham Common the SWF’s were well past their best and the WA’s had almost disappeared.
Later a second Brown Hairstreak sighting from a different area was achieved, before meeting up with Steve again who pointed out another find: a (tatty) White-letter Hairstreak. The kids in the meantime had found a largish beetle (see pic ... could anyone identify it for me?) which had fused elyctra; longish legs with prominent claws but no jaws to speak of. Izzy was quite OK about handling it but had it a couple of extra legs her benign response would've been one of sheer terror!
Buoyed up from a great day out I treated us to a pub dinner in the Selborne Arms (good play facilities for the kids) and arrived back home (Woking) at nightfall. That wasn’t the end of the day though. I had a Brimstone moth and a Pine Hawk on my window and the last of my Herald moth pupae had emerged. These I had reared myself (v. easy) from looper caterpillars that had come in on the sallow foodplant I was getting for my Robin Moth (Hyalophora cecropia) caterpillars.

Hope you like the pictures (sequence with the Pine hawk has got mucked up but I don't know how to put it right without mucking it up further).
Male Brown Hairstreak; second of the day
Male Brown Hairstreak; second of the day
Largish beetle requiring ID
Largish beetle requiring ID
Beetle on Izzy's hand
Beetle on Izzy's hand
Brimstone Moth
Brimstone Moth
Herald Moths on Macaw feather
Herald Moths on Macaw feather
Herald Moth
Herald Moth
Robin Moth (cecropia) larva 5th instar
Robin Moth (cecropia) larva 5th instar
Attachments
Pine Hawk on Izzy's hand
Pine Hawk on Izzy's hand
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Brown Hairstreak, beetles and other stuff

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Nice one Phil, glad you got your Brown Hairstreaks.

I visited Noar Hill for the first time this year for my first ever Dukes, a nice site.

That Robin moth cat is a beast!

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Hi Phil,
Your beetle is a "Bloody-nosed Beetle"... so named because if handled roughly, it exudes a red fluid which looks like blood. Brilliant beasts aren't they and their rounded bodies and legs are very characteristic.

Trev
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Thanks Trev. My initail thought was a Dor beetle; but after consulting an old collins library book at work I suspected that he might be a Bloody Nose beetle although he didn't exude any fluids despite being 'knocked about a bit' by me and the kids.

"Brilliant" and a bit comical I would say
alex mclennan

Post by alex mclennan »

Here are a couple of pics of a bloody nosed beetle in 'defensive' mode. I took these at the Small Blue site at Totternhoe about 4 years ago.
Alex
Attachments
totternhoe 23.5 048.jpg
totternhoe 23.5 038.jpg
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Great pictures ...it really lives up to its name.

It's a good job it didn't do that on Izzy's hand. It would've been taking flying lessons!
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Phil
really glad you saw your Brown Hairstreak - i was a bit doubful but I am glad my pessimissm was unfounded.
not much left for this season but I had some great sightings of BH at Shipton bellinger [20+] including two females on one bramble flower - too quick for a photo though.
Will probably get out for some Silver Spotted skippers and more BH in the coming days and see if I can track down Clouded Yellows - so might bump into you again - glad the girls got their sighting too!
Cheers :D
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Hi Paul
That was the last of butterfly hunting for this season. Me and the family are off on holiday to Charmouth in Dorset tomorrow. My missus's lack of interest in such subjects (plus her elderly mother in tow) will ensure that I won't get to go off and do my own thing ... fair enough I suppose. Contacts with nature will be restricted to digging out feisty 'Devil's Crabs' (velvet swimming crabs) from rockpools and resisting the temptation to feed my chips to the menacing herring gulls. I may be lucky and get to see Jersey Tiger moths which I've seen there before. If so I'll post some pictures.
I'm not sure where Shipton Bellinger is. I'm learning this bit by bit. Next Year I plan to go to Bentley Wood (Fritillaries). I've also just got a recommendation for a site in Dorset for MF .... plenty seems to happening.
With respect to Clouded Yellows: are they a species you can track down? or is it you just have to be in the right place at the right time? Last year I got to see and photo one on Denbies (Ranmore) but before that I cannot recall seeing any except around 2002 I think, where there were quite numerous, but just 'passing through'. Silver Spotted Skipper: again my ony sighting is on Denbies this time some years ago .. although this is a species you can look for in specific areas.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Philzoid wrote:With respect to Clouded Yellows: are they a species you can track down? or is it you just have to be in the right place at the right time?
Probably a 'bit of both', but certainly there are better locations for them than others. Here in Wales (between Cardiff and Newport) we are quite near the Severn Estuary and will tend to see the Clouded Yellows on 'good years' - i.e. We've seen them in 2006, 2008 and 2009 but normally when we either had good springs or good autumns (or indeed both). This year I haven't seen any in Britain, though we have been 'out and about' and may have missed them if they have been around locally. I don't think they've been around this year seeing as the weather has been poor since about the 2nd week in July. I do wonder whether the 'Volcanic Ash cloud' in May stopped the normal 'early migrators' that would egg-lay for the Autumn brood.

Swanage seems to be a good spot for them and Ballard Down (SZ029809) has always been a good spot. Obviously Coastal areas especially on the South Coast of England will be good points for migrants from Continental Europe.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Phil
Mark here again - the Scarlet Pimpernel!
Not sure if you will be able to access this while you're away but anyway - Old Winchester Hill - not too far from you - is a reliable site for Clouded Yellow - if we get an influx - saw six in one day last year. But this year they just seem to be sparse everywhere and I haven't seen any at OWH - buit I don't think I am alone. It is worth checking the HAnts and IoW BC website and Alan Thornbury regularly as they are both always pretty up to date.
OWH is also avery reliable site for SSS saw 20+ there yesterday. Still chance of CY for perhaps a few weeks yet and the SSS are like to be around into the first couple of weeks of Sept if the weather holds.
If you need some pointers for Marsh Frit - Hod Hill in Dorset is very reliable and they are easy to find - let me know if you need details.
Have a good hol and dont let the crabs get you!!
Cheers Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.

Return to “Sightings”