August Sighting 2010

Discussion forum for sightings.
Matsukaze

Re: August Sighting 2010

Post by Matsukaze »

Odd that - I saw several Clouded Yellow in Haut-Var in May, rather more than in the same time-frame in 2009; also a few in the extreme south of Spain in February (not that the offspring of the latter would have made their way north to Switzerland of course).
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Cloudy on the IOW today but when the sun shone intermittetly I saw small white, small copper, meadow brown, small tortoiseshell and a lovely wall brown. Photos attached. :D
Attachments
01-Pratt-Ian--P1030728.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1030721.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1030707.jpg
Last edited by Ian Pratt on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Can anybody tell me how Lulworth Skippers are doing this year? Going back a few pages it seems most folk looking are having difficulties finding anything other than small numbers - if any! Shouldn't they be well on the wing by now? Is it a case of being baked alive as a pupa and then drowned as the adult or is a mass emergence imminent? :?

Cheers,

Gibster (currently Lulworth Skipperless!)
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Saw several at Durlston Country park yesterday. Not that many, but conditions not fair. Go on a sunny day. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Not so rainy Suffolk today. I went for a swim on the shingle coast and clocked up 13 species of butterfly at the same time, including numerous walls. I'd rather got the impression that this species had become scarcer since I lived in England but it was out in good numbers today, nectaring on ragwort and thistles inside the sea wall. I'd stupidly left my camera batteries in the charger, so took these with my Mum's camera:

In the light of recent posts about brown argus discoidal spots, I was interested to note some white around the dark spot on this individual:

Common blues were out in force too, the blue females looking exactly the same as the females I remember from my childhood - classic East coast colouration:

The other really notable thing this August is the amazing number of holly blues. As we left home for the coast I noticed a female laying copiously on our ivy so I hope for some photos of eggs tomorrow.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Zonda wrote:Saw several at Durlston Country park yesterday. Not that many, but conditions not fair. Go on a sunny day.
Good advice...now, where did I put all that sunny weather.... :wink:

I'm working through until next Thursday, hopefully the current rainy deluge will have passed by then. Hopefully. From the car park at Durlston, do I pass the ranger's building and cut diagonally across the large open area towards the base of the seacliff? The skippers are alongside the path before I reach the cliffs? Or are they in Wick Fields? Or neither??? :) Any sightings from Portland yet? My friend had ONE by the Bird Obs at The Bill a couple of weeks ago, just wondered if they'd emerged there yet (or anywhere else, other than Durlston!)

Many thanks

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

I saw the Lulworths on the higher south facing, and sheltered nooks and crannies, before you get to the famous gulley. The Adonis Blues were there in good numbers too. Good luck. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Have a peep at the Dorset BC sightings page:
http://www.dorsetbutterflies.com/restofyear.html
If you scroll down (a long way!) you will see that the majority of sightings were reported in June - 30 were seen way back on 2nd June at Lulworth Cove itself.
On this basis, it is possible that emergence was early and may now be pretty well over?

Dave
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

On this basis, it is possible that emergence was early and may now be pretty well over?
Don't agree,,,, think they are peaking now, and will be over in the next couple of weeks.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

From what I've heard, the emergence is quite protracted now, with the first individuals being seen at the end of May, and the last in early September.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Pete - well worth knowing.

Dave
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

End of May sightings of Lulworth Skippers have to be carefully considered, and may be valid, but in Dorset the peak is generally in August.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Lots of Holly Blue around in the Cemetery here Guy - been a good second brood; females stoking up and easy to approach - and the odd RA, along with the usual Large and Small Whites.
HB_f_2_low_MRC_14th_Aug_2010.jpg
RA_1a_low_MRC_14th_Aug_2010.jpg
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
NickB

Post by NickB »

Well - picked 4lbs + of blackberries in the Cemetery this morning. Apparently, they are Himalayan cultivars - and ripen earlier and are bigger than our native species; have already juiced them - bramble jelly this afternoon :wink: A few Large and Small White. Also spotted a male CB when the sun shone weakly ...
CB1_m_1_low_MRC_14th_Aug_2010.jpg
Edit: The knick in the forewing makes me suspect...Arnie's back again!
Also saw a rather beat-up Hutchinsoni Coma later..
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Gibster wrote:
Zonda wrote:Saw several at Durlston Country park yesterday. Not that many, but conditions not fair. Go on a sunny day.
Good advice...now, where did I put all that sunny weather.... :wink:

I'm working through until next Thursday, hopefully the current rainy deluge will have passed by then. Hopefully. From the car park at Durlston, do I pass the ranger's building and cut diagonally across the large open area towards the base of the seacliff? The skippers are alongside the path before I reach the cliffs? Or are they in Wick Fields? Or neither??? :) Any sightings from Portland yet? My friend had ONE by the Bird Obs at The Bill a couple of weeks ago, just wondered if they'd emerged there yet (or anywhere else, other than Durlston!)

Many thanks

Gibster.
Look on the grassy slopes of Corfe Castle itself or drive to Lulworth Cove & walk up the steep & grassy slope/path just on the back of the cove. They are always about in August (especially the females) & do seem to hatch over a protracted period between June & late August! You cannot fail at Lulworth Cove itself (grassy & steep path with wide grassy & flowery area at back of cove that goes up 100' or so; they like the longer grass! It was great in the 1990's every year! Good luck my friend in your quest.
Cheers,
Lee (Cornwall).
Last edited by lee3764 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susie

Post by Susie »

A good day in the garden: BH, Common and Holly Blues, Large and Small Whites, Small Copper, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Comma and Silver Washed Fritillary.
Brown-hairstreak-1-for-web.jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

We will be in Dorset in late September - far too late for the Lulworth skipper I would imagine, but will any other of the area's specialities be on the wing still then?

Thinking of south coast butterflies, have many (any?) Large Tortoiseshells been reported this summer?
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Hi Susie,

Love the Brown Hairstreak pic - is hemp-agrimony a favourite with them? There is plenty of the plant on the Levels and I must keep an eye open for them in the next few weeks.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Hiya,

In my garden they love the hemp agrimony. In the wild I have only ever seen them on bramble and white clover, but the grass has been cut recently and the bramble flowers are all but over by the master tree so I hope more will come my way and feed on the hemp agrimony here.

Good luck :D
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

A good day in the garden: BH, Common and Holly Blues, Large and Small Whites, Small Copper, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Comma and Silver Washed Fritillary.
You aint half lucky having Brown HSs in your garden. How big is the colony? :mrgreen:
Cheers,,, Zonda.

Return to “Sightings”