Blue Lagoon, Milton Keynes

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
walpolec

Blue Lagoon, Milton Keynes

Post by walpolec »

Hi there

Just wondered if anyone had visited the the Blue Lagoon Reserve in Milton Keynes. I'm looking for somewhere local to see Small Blue (family and work commitments curtailing opportunities to go much further afield).
http://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/parks-a ... p?ID=22970

Thanks

Chris
wavelea1

Re: Blue Lagoon, Milton Keynes

Post by wavelea1 »

Hi Walpolec

Haven't tried the Blue Lagoon yet but if you can make it to Totternhoe Quarry just your side of Dunstable I can tell you where to look...

Mike
walpolec

Post by walpolec »

Thanks Mike

I'd heard of Totternhoe and had thought about going over there, but it's just a little further than I might be able to manage at the moment. I thought I'd give Blue Lagoon a try first to see how I get on. I've had some very useful communication today from someone who does a regular transect there and confirms Small Blue are presently on the wing at the mo..

I might get back to you for some help if I'm unsuccesful. How long does the flight period last at Totternhoe?

Thanks and best wishes

Chris
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Chris

Obviously this will be weather dependent and my visits to this site were mainly to photograph the Duke of Burgundy. According to my dated pics I have seen them there between the 1st and 3rd weeks of June - so I suspect longer than this - and if we have a good summer there may be a second brood in early August.
There was last year....
Let me know if you plan to go and I will send a map of where to find a good colony.

By the way I come from the Bristol area so my visits are sporadic at best.

Mike
walpolec

Post by walpolec »

wavelea1 wrote:Chris
Let me know if you plan to go and I will send a map of where to find a good colony.
Mike
Thanks Mike

Somehow I managed to miss your reply (apologies for not acknowledging it). I thought I might try Totternhoe next week for brood #2, so if you were able to go to the trouble of sending a map I'd be very grateful....

Cheers

Chris

Return to “Sites”