Video - Any tips

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Dave McCormick

Video - Any tips

Post by Dave McCormick »

Since I want to take videos to add to my website on butterflies and moths, whats the best videos to get? Any any advice? I will be on the look out this year for:

Clouded yellow
Red Admiral
Swallow tail moth
Meadow Brown
Ringlet
Large and Small White
Wall

some more...

What I do:

I prefer natural "background sounds of wildlife" as aposed to music, but some occations I use music, but rarely.

Any advice would help,

Thanks

Dave
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure what your question is. What do you mean by "whats the best videos to get"? In terms of what, exactly? Unusual behaviour, rarity, coverage, etc. etc.?

Also - since a lot of your posts are to do with your website and not this one, perhaps you want to start a single thread somewhere and place these questions / comments etc. there?

Cheers,

- Pete
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

You know behaviour of butterflies or moths. Just like to show them in their natural habitats doing what they do.

Would like some pupation shots and maybe some egg laying things like that.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Personally - I find behaviour shots more interesting that anything else - so that would get my vote. Some examples would be as follows, since they're all unusual in some way:

- The courtship flight of the Silver-washed Fritillary
- Courting Wood Whites
- Seeing the osmeterium protrude from a Swallowtail larva
- A Large Blue larva being adopted by an ant
- A Map ovipositing
- An Orange-tip larva encountering another
- Small Tortoiseshell courtship

Of course - to get these some travel might be required :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Lareg blue would be a good one, you could learn a lot from that. I want to travel around this year and get some intresting shots. Hoping to get shots of Large Copper flying about when my ones pupate and hatch. Should be good.

Orange tip larvae - Video entitled "Cannibalism within the butterfly world" :lol:

A good video shot is of Speckled Wood flying as it does not fly too fast and looks nice to see in woodland clearings and edges.

Wanting some Common Blue shots too as well as 6 spot burnet flying, but not much as they just sit about and are reluctant to fly.

Wanting some small copper shots, but they are hard to get as my experience reminds me.

My camera takes good closeups in bright lights so I am learning as I go. Hope people will learn from my videos. Show you when my sites up and running, around end of May start of June.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Decided I might get the Elephant Hawkmoth caterpillar video of it defending itself. Looks very like a snake and if attacked it bares the eyespots that make it look like a snake. I have seen it do this then roll around. Looks intresting.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Here is one finished video (not that great) I am posting rest on my wbeiste. GV White: http://www.zshare.net/video/gv_white_ad ... 7-wmv.html

what do you think? I could not find GV White in same location to finish video, so I spliced in an older video. Not well done, could have been better.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro

Return to “Photography”