Panasonic Lumix FZ38

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Jack Harrison

Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ38

Post by Jack Harrison »

Susie wrote:
Jack doesn't produce crap pictures, he can't stoop so low! :lol:
I like that Susie (and that’s not a cynical comment, it really did make me laugh). We’ve never met but obviously you know all about my bad back. It is many years since I was able to lie flat on my tummy to take pictures. But in any case, the size of my tum today is such that even if I COULD lie on the ground, my head would still be many centimetres up in the air.

Jack
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Susie,

Can I ask what camera set up you use at the moment?

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Canon 400D, 100 mm macro lense and a tripod. There's nothing wrong with the kit I use, it's the person behind it which is faulty! :lol:
Susie

Post by Susie »

and it could be for sale shortly .. Nearly as good as new and with one careful lady driver, i mean owner ;), if you're interested!

Going back to Jack's earlier post I have a bad back too so can empathise.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

This Brown Argus gives an idea what to expect (396 KB) from the FZ38 at full size.
Link: http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac85 ... 1279719430

The original image was 4000*3000 pixels. This is a crop to 2000*1500 but the crop has not been resized.

Jack
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks Jack.

It's arrived. :D
NickB

Post by NickB »

Took my Finnish friend to look at one yesterday....Nice and small!
...and it is much more compact than the FZ50 I had. (They've moved the buttons around!)
...Not sure the longer lens lengths give very good IQ - 18x zoom is quite ambitious...
FZ50 was 10x I think; not bad,....
...But ordinary shots and the macro stuff on show here demonstrates what it can do...
He nearly bought it - but knew he needed the time to get to use it properly...
...so he is sensibly giving it some thought....
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The 18x sounds impressive but is in reality little more than an advertising gimmick. It suggests a huge great telephoto but 18x is based on the range from maximum wide angle to longest telephoto. The FZ38 at the widest setting is equivalent to 27 mm (in 35 mms terms) so the big telephoto isn’t quite as impressive as it might seem.

The only time I have used the max telephoto was to photograph that Norfolk Camberwell Beauty high up in those oaks. But I have to say that it could be useful for photographing birds. The detail I get with the camera approximately equates to 8 x 42 binoculars. The camera’s image stabilization is more than adequate.

A really useful additional piece of kit is a good (achromatic – also known as a doublet) close-up lens. A simple single-element close-up lens (plane glass) while reasonable, loses some resolution compared with a properly colour-corrected two-element achromatic. Neil uses the somewhat expensive achromatic Panasonic close-up lens - exactly the same type of lens as I have. I got mine from e-bay for a mere £3 plus about another fiver for (stepping ring) adapters. My e-bay purchase - bought blind – turned out to be a +2 diopter (same as the Panasonic “official” lens) but a +1 diopter would be fine if you can get one.

If any people are confused about dioptres, this old article helps:
http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototip ... pters.html

Having a small sensor, noise – the equivalent of grain on film – is far more apparent with a camera such as the FZ38 compared to a DSLR with its much bigger sensor. I have recently been using free Noiseware:
http://noiseware-community-edition.en.softonic.com/
While results will never compare with the best a DSLR can produce, Noiseware does a very good job at minimising noise. It is very simple to use.

Several of us on this group now have FZ38s. Neil freely admits that he hasn’t read the manual in depth and isn’t too interested in technicalities. He, as we know gets good results. On the other hand, I read the manual, am interested in ISO settings, shutter speeds, apertures, fill-in flash (I have incidentally, just made a flash diffuser which seems to overcome the extreme harshness of normal flash), close-up lenses and so on. These things in many ways interest me more than the results.

Sad aren't I ? :cry:

Jack
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Jack said-
The FZ38 at the widest setting is equivalent to 27 mm (in 35 mms terms) so the big telephoto isn’t quite as impressive as it might seem.
Jack
I rate 486mm on a 35mm as pretty impressive.
I have seen bird photograpphs taen at max zoom on a Lumix, and they are Very Good.
Mine (or rather the wife's) Lumix is being ordered next week.
She can't wait (nor I).
Cheers

Roger
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I probably didn’t explain myself very well.

18x makes it sound as if the telephoto end must be very long indeed. If the wide angle is 35 mm, then 18x implies 630 mm. But 18x starting at 27 mm means it’s 486 mm at the long end (Roger must have used the same calculator!). Agreed, that is no mean telephoto but the typical advertising blurb 18x zoom is meaningless in isolation and has to be put in proper context.

Nevertheless, the FZ38 is pretty impressive at the long end and I will certainly be trying some bird photography once the butterfly season is over.

Just got hold of another (as a back-up or to use in conjunction with existing lens) achromatic supplementary lens for £12. Search for Sigma Achromatic Macro. But they are not easy to track down.

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

My friend, Aki *, just bought one - and I cropped his first original butterfly picture down to this...
Aki_ST_July_2010.jpg
Not bad for a first attempt! And shows what a great little performer this camera is :)
N
* well, it didn't take him long to think about it!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The DSLR diehards are slowly coming round to the FZ38. That Leica lens really is superb.

Have you ordered one yet Gary? :D

Jack
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Obviously a great little camera, and easily the best in its class. I've recommended it to several people. One of these in the right hands, will, IMHO, out preform any DSLR in the wrong hands. Not really for me though, maybe when I can no longer lug my gear around, but hopefully that's a long way off. :D

Regards Gruditch
NickB

Post by NickB »

Jack Harrison wrote:The DSLR diehards are slowly coming round to the FZ38. That Leica lens really is superb.
Have you ordered one yet Gary? :D
Jack
I never needed convincing, Jack!
Remember, I came the other way via the FZ50...... :D
Anyway, you can forget the FZ38, Jack, ......
Have you seen the pre-release review of the FZ100 - now, there's even more bang for the buck.....
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/26584/p ... dmc-fz100/
:)
N
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

That FZ100 looks good. And I think it has an articulated screen, the one thing I really miss on the FZ38.

Jack
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

That FZ100 looks good.
Hmmmmmm................
Maybe I'll hold off on the FZ38 for a little while.......................
:wink:
Cheers

Roger
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Like all these new products, the price starts off very high but then steadily falls. I guess the FZ100 will initially be marketed at around £450 but within 18 months will be £200 less than that.

I seem to have got into the habit of changing my camera every two years. So maybe, if the FZ100 turns out to be as good as it would seem on paper to be, then it will be early 2012 for me. But I still have one and a half to go through university (ie, one part way through, one yet to start) so I do have to think about cost.

I have incidentally spent many hours over the past few days trying to find all that paperwork (P60s I think they are called – or something like that) about pensions etc, to be able to fill in a Student Grant Application Form. How I detest paperwork! My wife tells me to be better organised – a fair enough comment I suppose. But when I attempt to explain to her some simple mathematics such as the potential number of habitable planets in the galaxy, she glazes over. Drake’s Equation is far simpler to understand than bl**dy administration about finances.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

FZ100 would seem to have a sensor size of 7.2 by 5.4 millimetres.

The FZ38 has a sensor size of 6.4 by 4.8 millimetres.

So bearing in mind that the nFZ100 has more megapixels, there is little to choose between the sizes of individual pixels, with the new FZ100 having just marginally smaller pixels.

Size of individual pixels is important. The larger pixels on DSLRs is the main reason why the ultimate quality of DSLRs might be better.

Jack
AkiP

Post by AkiP »

NickB wrote:My friend, Aki *, just bought one - and I cropped his first original butterfly picture down to this...
Aki_ST_July_2010.jpg
Not bad for a first attempt! And shows what a great little performer this camera is :)
N

I have taken in two days over 30 pics of butterflies.... Nick what have you done to my "sparetime". :roll:
NickB

Post by NickB »

AkiP wrote:
NickB wrote:My friend, Aki *, just bought one - and I cropped his first original butterfly picture down to this...
Aki_ST_July_2010.jpg
N
I have taken in two days over 30 pics of butterflies.... Nick what have you done to my "sparetime". :roll:
Well, I did warn you Aki!
Photography; thereby lies madness...... :mrgreen:
And only 30 pictures......I manage to rattle-off a few hundred a day. .....
but of course with the FZ38, each picture is so perfect *, you need less shots.... :lol:
N
* looking at the histogram of an image - they've done all the processing in-camera - you get a really full dynamic range; not much room to "do" much with it.....

Return to “Photography”