Hairstreaks and Alners Gorse

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Zonda

Hairstreaks and Alners Gorse

Post by Zonda »

It's getting near to Brown HS time again. Does anyone familiar with Alners Gorse know where on the site these may occur? Also,,, like to know the sweet spots for Purple HS, and White letter HS at this site. I know the site pretty well as i visited not long ago for the SW Frits. Any help appreciated. :)
Cheers,,, Zonda.
mvpike

Re: Hairstreaks and Alners Gorse

Post by mvpike »

Hi,

After visiting Alners for the last 3 years the best spot I have found is usually the hedge at the bottom of the reserve, just go straight down the entrance path (I have seen a few here as well) and just stick to the right-hand hedgerow as far as you can go. You will eventually reach a gate that leads to a wooded area, the hedgerow to the left of this gate is a good place to look. If you hit the time just right they can be found dotted about in various spots all over the area though. White Letters are more or less confined to the Elm hedgerow at the top of the reserve, just turn left when you get to the bottom of the entrance path (near the dried up pond) and keep your eyes peeled around the Elm & Ash, Purple are also common in this area. I visited about 3 weeks ago and Purple & White Letter were both sparring with one another in the same tree! Worth looking around the small oaks around the centre of the reserve as well, they can sometimes be seen quite low down here. Hope this helps??

Mark.
Zonda

Re: Hairstreaks and Alners Gorse

Post by Zonda »

That helps greatly, thanks Mark. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.

Return to “Sites”