A Painted Lady season?

Discussion forum for sightings.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

A Painted Lady season?

Post by Pete Eeles »

Lots of Painted Lady sightings are starting to come in, which bodes well for this species this year.

See http://www.migrantmoth.com/.

Cheers,

- Pete
wint

Post by wint »

There were large numbers of Painted Ladies heading north west (in strong winds) at PN Guadalhorce (Malaga) on 28th March so I'm optimistic here in Hampshire.

Paul
====
Paul, Rownhams, Southamptom
wint

Post by wint »

It took ten days for the prediction to come true but my first Painted Lady in the UK ths year was at Lower Test Marshes, Hampshire this morning - a rather faded individual.
====
Paul, Rownhams, Southamptom
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Just an observation, but the numbers of Painted Lady being seen would seem to back up the sightings I summarised on 3rd April!!! I find it incredible that the prediction is actually becoming reality, and I'm also astounded by the number of "wanderers" being seen in remote areas (Chalkhill Blue, Silver-washed Fritillary, etc.). The weather is, of course, responsible for most of this!

I'd also like to predict that we're yet to see the "peak" in terms of Painted Lady numbers. We'll see :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Martin

Post by Martin »

wint wrote:It took ten days for the prediction to come true but my first Painted Lady in the UK ths year was at Lower Test Marshes, Hampshire this morning - a rather faded individual.
I live a 15 minute drive from the Rio Guadalorce in Malaga :D

Martin.
Oy

Post by Oy »

I can't remember seeing as many Painted Lady's as I have this year!
Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time.
markatbath

clouded yellows

Post by markatbath »

Its not just painted lady which seems abundant this year , I have seen more clouded yellows than I can remember for many years in my area including helice form
mark
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

After a slow start, there are now plenty up here in Yorkshire. However, it still doesn't compare with 1997, when they were swarming on the buddleias. I remember them rising in clouds when disturbed, like dung flies from a cow pat - the best analogy I can think of!
DJT
eccles

Post by eccles »

Red admirals are plentiful too with many newly emerged adults.
And talking of wanderers, my local Avon Wildlife Trust reserve at Willsbridge, which is a small suburban site with woodland and a few open patches, had a male silver washed fritillary feeding on its buddliea bush for the last three days, which caused a stir. The nearest decent sized woodland is at Hanham alongside the Avon. I checked that out yesterday as a possible source and there were none present so I have no idea where it had strayed from. Lord's Wood, south of Bristol, perhaps?
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Yes, brilliant season for Painted ladies (except if you were one of the insects involved in my 'carnage' posting a few days ago - see General forum). NB. The individual with the clipped wings is still visiting my Buddhelia, but I haven't seen the hornet lately.

It may be a good year for the PL, but what on Earth has happened to the Small tortoiseshells this year?

Trev
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Same up here in the North East, the Painted Ladys are outnumbering the Red Admirals and Even the Peacocks.

I've seen only 1 Small Tortoiseshell though :-(
Wayne

Return to “Sightings”