Printers

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Tom Wade

Printers

Post by Tom Wade »

I know this topic has been discussed before but I am in need of a new printer and wondered what others were using?

I know I can have a print done at the photo shop / Tescos etc but quite fancy doing my own.

So what is being used out there and does wifi really work.

Tom
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Re: Printers

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Tom, We've used Canon, and HP printers in the past, but now stick to Epson. The Epson stylus Photo PX710W is our latest model. It easily gives the best printing results of any printer we have owned. But to get those results you must use Epson ink, and Epson paper, very expensive, but if your printer is calibrated to your PC, then the results will be great. The models below the PX710W will no doubt also give great results, but they are top paper loading, and take up valuable room. The PX710W has a nifty paper tray that feeds from underneath, so you can store it under your PC station. It also has a flip up control panel, so you can easily operate it from above.

Kind Regards Gruditch
Tom Wade

Post by Tom Wade »

Hi Gruditch,

thanks for the info, I will look into the Epson printers you mentioned.

I think the problem is there is just so much choice you have to have some feed back from other users.

Also, great shots on your gallery.

Thanks again

Tom
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Gruditch wrote:We've used Canon, and HP printers in the past, but now stick to Epson.
I wholeheartedly agree, with the priviso that it's only worth using the Epson inks rather than other companies cheaper substitutes (as much as I like saving money - if there is a quality drop you end out paying more) :? We have an Epson RX585 for A4 printing and an Epson stylus photo R2400 for A3 prints that uses roll paper because I also print larger-size panoramas. With the A4 printer I've found that Tesco do good quality glossy paper for the better prints which saves on money. It's easy enough to load standard paper in for simple printed documents such as maps, instructions etc, or a slightly higher grade Quality paper can be used for letters etc.

Michael
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

I had a picture printed using an Epsom, done with cheap replacement ink, but on a quality Canon paper. It got inadvertently left half poking out from under another picture, in direct sunlight for two weeks. I couldn't believe the colour fade on the exposed side of the picture. When I went to an Epsom demo a while later, I pointed this out to the reps. They said that if I had used Epsom ink, on Epsom paper, they would guarantee no fade for 100 years, and if it were kept behind glass, 200 years. :shock:

Regards Gruditch
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Agree with all of the above.

I have used an Epson R1800 (Current equivalent is R1900 I think) A3+ printer for about 5 years now and it does a fantastic job. Genuine inks are a bit pricey (around £80 for the set of 8 including the gloss)but wouldn't touch 3rd party with a barge pole having read many horror stories and had a few myself with 3rd party inks. Having said that, if you do a lot of printing I have heard of some continuous ink systems that members of our camera club use that they say are just as good quality and cheaper. Requires some modification to the printer I think and then use of bottles of ink with tubes running from the bottles to the cartridge holders. Can't think of the name of the systems recommend right now but this type of thing:

http://www.permajet.com/cat/66/Eco-Flo_ ... stems.html

I'm unfortunately not in Hampshire where my computer is with all the info, but I think it is the Permajet printer profile I use (which is better than the Epson standards) and it is their paper I was advised to try as just as good but a lot cheaper than the epson satin paper which I use for my top quality prints. I use Jessops own stuff for anything else and the cheapest stuff I can find for test prints.

I would be tempted to have a look at the latest canon A3's also. When I got my epson the canons had much punchier colours but fine detail wasn't so good. I'd be tempted to have a look at the new ones now to see if the detail is better as I believe they are stull punchier colours than the epsons. Back when I got mine both offered print samples so I e-mailed off the same image to both companies and they sent back a print from their machines which was very handy.
sandraandkevin

Post by sandraandkevin »

Hi Tom,

We also use an Epson r1900, mainly because of A3 option. I do not think you can fault Epson Printers for picture quality, but inks can be costly.

We get ours from www.7dayshop.com in Channel Islands it does save a little bit in cost.

Kevin
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

I own an Epson RX520, and i've had it for some trouble free years. I don't do an awful lot of printing, but i have noticed that if i use the cheap 'Prink' ink on Epson Premier gloss, its fine, but if i get cheap paper, i get trouble with bleeding, smudging and fading. Before i had the Epson, i had Lexmark, and HP, both of which lasted about a year. Definitely think Epson is best buy. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Well....I stopped using HP when the last 2 stopped with the same paper-feed faults!
I arrived at an Epson Stylus 1400 A3 printer - and I wish I had waited and got an upgraded Epson model - with tanks, as John stated - more money, but saving on ink is a real consideration if you start to print a lot of A3 work! The print quality is great tho'....
I too use the Epson inks - but found Staples Premium Semi-Gloss a cheaper and very acceptable alternative to Epson A3 paper....
Happy printing - a discipline which makes you look at the image even more closely, before you hit that Print button .....
...and opening Photoshop to clone-out that bit of grass that crept into your final crop, more often than not :lol:
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Ian H

Post by Ian H »

Hi all, i am currently using an Epson R2880 A3 printer with Epson inks and PermJet papers. Fortunately i have the equipment to profile it myself, it is surprising how much ink it can save as most printers are set to add to much ink.

Cheers
Ian
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Hi Ian,

Did you find that profiling the printer yourself made much of an improvement? I had a go with our camera club's spyder 3 print device a while back but didn't find the results all that great. admittedly I didn't mess about with it for too long...
Tom Wade

Post by Tom Wade »

I know this is a bit late but thanks to all for the replies on this issue.

I have been on holiday and its nice to come back to so much helpful advice.

It appears Epson is the way to go.

Thanks again

Return to “Photography”