Not happy with my own identification of a couple

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
TedM

Not happy with my own identification of a couple

Post by TedM »

In my new and growing collection of butterfly images, there are a couple I took this week where I'm not entirely happy with my own amateur attempts at identifying them. I THINK they are a Meadow Brown and a Wall Brown but they don't quite match the images here or in the books. Any advise or thoughts would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Ted

(Images are attachments - one day I'll find out how to stick 'em in the text box, lol.)
Attachments
Wall Brown?
Wall Brown?
Possible Wall Brown.JPG (35.59 KiB) Viewed 232 times
Meadow Brown?
Meadow Brown?
Possible Meadow Brown.JPG (37.87 KiB) Viewed 232 times
JKT

Re: Not happy with my own identification of a couple

Post by JKT »

The first is Speckled wood, but the second is correct.
TedM

Post by TedM »

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Just shows my advancing years are inversely proportional to my identification skills, lol. I've already got a couple of images of the underside of a Speckled Wood from a couple of years ago but still failed to spot the similarity. Thanks too for confirming the Meadow Brown was correct. It didn't quite look right to me - not orange enough around the eye and darker around the wing edges than I'd expected - so I appreciate the reassurance.
Thanks again.
Ted
JKT

Post by JKT »

I'd say it is a worn sample. The orange has faded and the white scales at the edges are almost gone.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

A Wall Brown would be a good find nowadays - they have become quite scarce, especially inland. Speckled Woods conversely have become very common.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:A Wall Brown would be a good find nowadays - they have become quite scarce, especially inland. Speckled Woods conversely have become very common.

Jack
Correct. Wall Browns were ten a penny during my childhood years in NW England but I've yet to see one in the two and a half years I've been living in Wales.

What's happened to them?
TedM

Post by TedM »

The Wall Brown is said to be quite widespread here in Cornwall so I'll keep my eyes peeled and if I manage to get an image of one I'll let the forum know. You've set me a challenge now, lol. I just hope I can live up to it.
Ted

Return to “Identification”