July Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Piers

Re: July Sightings

Post by Piers »

IAC wrote:Hi all,
Talking of aberrations, I had one from today that could be Small Skipper ab. pallida.....could anyone confirm it....a very strange looking little chap indeed.

Thanks,

IAC.
Hello. It is indeed ab. pallida. Very rare...!

Felix.
Jonathan Evans

Post by Jonathan Evans »

Visited Old Castle Moor, Glamorgan, today. Observed good numbers of Dark Green Fritillary, several High Brown Fritillary, and 1 or 2 very bedraggled Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary. I couldn't get any usable pictures of the undersides, but based on the postdiscal spots on the forewings, I would say that my images show a male High Brown and 2 female Dark Green; however, I would welcome any supporting or contrary opinion.

Jon
025.JPG
017.JPG
010.JPG
IAC

Post by IAC »

Hi Felix,
Thankyou very much for confirming in the reply to the ab. pallida Small Skipper. I know I am not likely to find another quite like it for a long while....I was very lucky indeed it seems.

Thanks again,

IAC.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Felix wrote: Hi Vince,

It's ab. nigrita.

Ab. nigra has entirely black hind wings but the forewing pattern is always pretty much normal.

Felix.
Thanks Felix, I will move it into the appropriate place in the species album. Pete has thoughtfully provided a niche for it.

On the subject of sightings for today, I have just seen my first Essex Skippers of the year at my local site in Chaldon, Surrey. Meanwhile a male Purple Emperor was reported this morning in local woods only 4 miles from home.
Male Essex Skipper
Male Essex Skipper
Vince.
Crispin

Post by Crispin »

The range of species and number of individuals is increasing after the June gap.
But it is certainly dry. The sheep's fescue is brown and crunchy under foot on the south facing slopes.

I was pleased to record a Dark Green Fritillary at Malling Down, Lewes as it is the first to be recorded (on transect) at the site since 2000. There is suitable habitat for them but for some reason they have not colonized yet.
DG Frit.jpg
There was also this Forester moth, not sure which it is (Cistus, Scarce or The Forester). I suspect the latter ( Adscita statices)possibly because of its size but I am not sure.
Forester.jpg
Good numbers of Ringlet
Ringlet.jpg
Six-spot Burnets are emerging. I like the blue on this individual:
6 Spot.jpg

Transect at Malling Down, Lewes, E Sussex:
Today's total & (previous weeks total in brackets)

4 (0) Small Skipper,
2 (2) Large Skipper,
3 (0) Small Copper,
0 (2) Common Blue,
2 (0)Red Admiral,
1 (2) Small Tortoiseshell,
1 (0) Peacock,
1 (0) Dark Green Fritillary,
1 (0) Comma,
38 (3) Marbled White
83 (34) Meadow Brown,
16 (17) Small Heath,
12 (1) Ringlet,
4 (1) Six-spot Burnet,
0 (1) Cinnabar
1 (0) Forester Moth

I have yet to see any Chalkhills, second gen Brown Argus or Gatekeepers.

Crispin
Attachments
Large Skipper.jpg
Piers

Post by Piers »

Crispin wrote:But it is certainly dry. The sheep's fescue is brown and crunchy under foot on the south facing slopes.
Hi Crispin,

Dry indeed, and I too noted the crispy sheep's fescue this morning as I watched final instar Silver Spotted Skipper larvae crawling around in the open searching for green blades of this, their food plant. This is very unusual behaviour for an ordinarily reclusive caterpillar. I have reared this species myself and was using what I have observed in captivity to locate the caterpillar in the wild.

Ordinarily they extend their forequarters from the tunnel they construct, lean right over backwards (so that the forequarters are upside down), grab a blade of fescue between their true-legs and bite the blade off with their jaws, head inverted so that they can bite it off right at the base. They then retreat back down their 'burrow' with the blade of grass and proceed to eat the blade of grass still clutching it between their legs.

It's easy to see why they are so secretive ordinarily; they are not the most beautiful of larvae...!

Felix.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Brilliant observations Felix - never read about that anywhere before!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Crispin

Post by Crispin »

How really interesting.

Judging from what you describe I suspect Silver-spotted Skips this year will be more successful on the grasslands that are not directly south facing.
Since colonising Malling Down in 1999 Silver-spotted Skipper were always a bit more numerous on the north side of the reserve (in the sheltered chalk pits with spoil heaps and WW2 grenade craters) than on the steep south facing slopes - until last year.
In 2009 there was an apparent shift from the north side of reserve to the south facing slopes where they were much more abundant than all previous years. I suspect the previous poor summers of 07 & 08 could have caused this.
Now with the very dry south facing slopes it will interesting to see what happens - will there be a higher proportion on the north side of the reserve? Will 2010 be a poor SSSk year with the larvae on the south facing slopes trying to cope with the dry and the reduced numbers on the north side of the reserve in 2009?
I don't think it will be serious but certainly interesting
Piers

Post by Piers »

You may be right Crispin,

Earlier in the year I went to a lecture given by Chris Thomas, where he presented evidence that Silver Spotted Skipper are now rejecting south facing grassland that has been managed for the species 'by the book' as the sward is too short and thus the habitat too hot for the species; choosing to lay instead (as you suggest) to oviposit in cooler situations. The evidence was based upon data gathered over the last decade.

This is manifest at sites such as Fontmell Down in Dorset where the best numbers (by far) of the species can be found off the reserve proper in areas of long grass that used to be considered to be unsuitable for the species. Sadly the most up to date information on species requirements often takes a while to filter down to County Wildlife Trust level, and even then does not necessarily become translated into approriate management practises.

Felix.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi all,

I went to Fermyn Wood on Saturday and again this morning as we made a trip over to Norwich for the weekend. It was my first time at Fermyn as normally we try and see Purple Emporers at Bentley Wood, Hampshire. Anyway, I was absolutely thrilled by Fermyn - not just for the fact that the PE's were in abundance, but the sheer numbers of White Admirals at early afternoon on Saturday landing on the main path (30-40 adults). The fact that there's a coffee house and toilets is at Fermyn makes the place even better! Much better than the facilities (or lack therof) at Bentley! :mrgreen:

I also saw the White-letter hairstreak previously mentioned in another post for Saturday, though could only get a very basic shot with a long lens. The WLH pupa that was mentioned from Saturday was still unhatched at lunchtime today (Tuesday). I also saw an (adult) dead purple hairstreak on the main path on Saturday. There were probably a total of 9 purple emporers on the two main paths to Fermyn on Saturday morning, with about the same amount this morning, though the weather clouded over at lunchtime leading most butterflies to hide again. All the specimens of PE's I saw were males. There were also a collection of Small Tortoishells, Red Admirals and Commas as well as the abundant ringlets, meadow browns etc.

I popped over to Hickling Broad on Sunday and there were still about 6 swallowtails within the reserve, though scattered in ones'and twos, being battered by the wind. An egg-laying female was the easiest to see. There were a few specimens in good shape but no obvious flowers to nectar from with the Yellow Flag Iris being gone and the hemp agrinomy flowers not quite out. There was also a Marsh Harrier about but I wasn't quick enough to get a good shot of it. Darn!
4X5I5040 edit crop.JPG
IMG_1921 edit crop.JPG
4X5I5054 edit crop.JPG
4X5I4987 edit crop.JPG
IMG_1951 edit crop.JPG
IMG_2288 edit crop.JPG
IMG_2322 edit crop.JPG
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Just back from 2 hours scanning an elm/wych elm copse near Epsom. There are hairstreaks up there alright...but they are all Purples!!! Come off of nearby oaks, I guess. Dogfighting, feeding and sunning all seen but definitely no sniff of any White-lettered. :( Also noted two Large Skippers in the elms, one about 12ft up and the other a good 25ft up which seems a bit odd. Maybe just catching the evening sun?

We previously found lots of suitable-looking feeding signs on the wych elm leaves (but no larva/pupa) - I'm still hopeful.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
David M

Post by David M »

How do you tempt these butterflies onto your hand?
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

David M wrote:How do you tempt these butterflies onto your hand?
Well firstly, it wasn't my hand. It was late afternoon and I was spending time photographing a single Emporer while one of the other guys was doing his High-Definition filming of the same specimen. We hoped that the Emporer would open its wings and show us the inside, but no, it was quite happy as it was (obviously fairly warm already in the afternoon sun) and it resolutely was keeping it's wings shut as it fed on the ground salts. So my pal the cameraman put his finger under the Emporer and the PE was quite happy to crawl on the finger and take some of the sweat of it. It's more to do with what the butterfly is happy doing! I wouldn't recommend it unless you're happy if the butterfly flies away in the process, which this one did soon after.... :wink:
Eris

Post by Eris »

Yesterday I decided to do a proper check to see if I had any purple hairstreaks in the garden. Previous years I have seen one male a couple of years back and I again saw one female last year when she came down to feed on the tansy.

I can happily report that our 8 oak were all sporting a few purple hairstreaks, as does another large oak only 100 feet or so from the house. Only one oak in the field seemed bereft.

A count over these oaks turned up 19 purple hairstreaks. A real red letter day for my garden!!!

Only a couple came down close enough for photos.
hairstreak1.JPG
hairstreak2.JPG
hairstreak5.JPG
Other sightings for the day were
30+ ringlets
30+ meadow browns
15 + small skippers
4 Large skippers
1 large white
1 comma
1 small tortoishell ( second time only seen in my garden)
1 very fresh looking common blue male.

More photos from yesterday below.
meadowb.JPG
skipper2.JPG
skipbramble.JPG
Ringlet.JPG
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

On a more mundane level after the purple emperors and aberrations of last weekend, yesterday I saw my first Essex skipper of the season on thistles just across the road from my house . I thought it might be helpful to post photos of large, small and Essex skippers for comparison purposes- taken over the past 48 hours. :)
Attachments
Small skipper
Small skipper
Essex skipper
Essex skipper
Large skipper
Large skipper
David M

Post by David M »

Visited Haugh Wood near Hereford and was pleasantly surprised to see they have a dedicated butterfly trail with regular markers showing species that can be found in the wood. I didn't see any White Admirals (although the habitat was perfect for them), nor did I see any White Letter Hairstreaks (although it was only about 20C and fairly cloudy so perhaps it wasn't ideal conditions for them). The site incorporates Rudge End Quarry which is off to the left of the southern end of the butterfly trail.

I hope to return soon on a hot day as the species range is pretty impressive (I saw 17, which is easily a personal record for me).

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/uk/haugh-woods.html#cr

Arrived at 10.45 and left when the cloud got thick and drops of light rain started falling at 3.30. The count was:

1. Ringlet 150-250 (easily the most abundant species and was found all over the terrain)
2. Meadow Brown 30-50
3. Small Skipper 20-30
4. Marbled White 12
5. Comma 11
6. Green Veined White 10
7. Small Tortoiseshell 10
8. Speckled Wood 9
9. Small White 9
10. Hedge Brown 8
11. Large Skipper 6
12. Large White 5
13. Silver Washed Fritillary 4
14. Wood White 2
15. Red Admiral 2
16. Small Copper 2
17. Common Blue 2
First Hedge Browns of the year for me today
First Hedge Browns of the year for me today
Red Admiral basking
Red Admiral basking
Fresh looking Small Copper
Fresh looking Small Copper
Decent numbers of these today
Decent numbers of these today
Fluttered pathetically for 5 minutes before settling on a dying plant
Fluttered pathetically for 5 minutes before settling on a dying plant
The only SWF that settled
The only SWF that settled
A closer view
A closer view
Quite a few Commas about today
Quite a few Commas about today
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

David M:
Visited Haugh Wood near Hereford
I haven’t been there for more than 30 years but it used to be superb for Pearl Bordered Frits in the early part of the season. I must try to re-visit next May.

Jack
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

I arrived at Southwater Wood, Sussex at 9.30am, just as the sun broke through. An hour and 20 minutes later I was joined by Neil Hulme and his father, together with a chap called Mark from Essex.

There was lots of stuff flying including the first new Peacocks of the season and summer brood Small Copper. However, none of the hoped-for Silver Washed Fritillary aberrations appeared, but I was still happy photographing things like female Ringlets and fresh male Gatekeepers. We were still in the meadow just after midday when an Emperor was spotted soaring in the trees. It then suddenly descended and landed on Neil's father's trousers, shortly moving on to alight just above head height on a Hazel. Branches were skillfully and carefully bent down to get photos of what turned out to be an old Emperor warrior. He was literally on his last legs (he only had one left), but he was still able to glide away majestically.
Battlescarred male
Battlescarred male
Moving on to the main ride we saw a fresh male alighted on the path, but it would not settle properly. Other males were also seen patrolling the Sallows searching for femlales. Then, at 1.40pm a freshly emerged female Emperor literally fell out of the Sallow we were standing under and landed at our feet. It turned out to have a malformed right-side hind wing and could not fly properly. We placed it out of harms way on some vegetation and noticed that it seemed to be probing for moisture with it proboscis. Now, ever since Neil used Lucozade to attract Black Hairstreak, I have carried an atomiser full of it on every trip. I sprayed some on the leaf and we watched as it took its first drink.
Malformed female
Malformed female
Female Emperor taking Lucozade
Female Emperor taking Lucozade
Both Neil and myself left the site at 3pm and the plan was that the female Emperor would be left on a sallow in the hope that she would be found by a male.

Vince.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

This one could still fly :!:
Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:David M:
Visited Haugh Wood near Hereford
I haven’t been there for more than 30 years but it used to be superb for Pearl Bordered Frits in the early part of the season. I must try to re-visit next May.

Jack
Yes, PBFs were on one of the signposts and having done a bit of research since I got home this afternoon, it seems that the wood still supports a strong colony. The site's management have regularly been coppicing and thinning areas out to support the growth of violets.

I will be going there myself next May just to check this out.

Return to “Sightings”