My photo experiences and videoing

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Dave McCormick

My photo experiences and videoing

Post by Dave McCormick »

I have a few tips for getting great buttefly shots:

1) You can get real close when they are feeding, especially on rotting fruit. They don't bother moving as they just focus on feeding.

2) Taking pics in bright sunshine can be hard, especially when my camera can oly go as low as 1/2000 sec pic and this is still too bright.

3) In darker areas e.g. beside leaves, on shaded spots, if you see a butterfly, wait until it lands, you will get a good shot if you don't make too much noise.

Anyone know how to get a butterfly flying? This is real hard I have found.

I use manual mode quite alot to get shots, expecially for macro made closeups as my camera can get as close as 1cm.

If there is butterflies in your garden and you want shots, put out some rotting fruit and wait till they feed, this is best time. They will go for apples, bananas and pears mushed up and rotting. I have rotting bananas outside and waiting to see what happens.

Anyone know how to take videos clips of them flying? My camera has quite good video in day time and have failed to get some flying videos.

P.S. On my website I am creating, I am writing a part which gives information on taking butterfly photos and how to do it. Any suggestions what to write? All experience welcome.

Return to “Photography”