spring butterflies

Discussion forum for sightings.
markatbath

spring butterflies

Post by markatbath »

hi
looks like spring is here. 5 species this week , brimstone,red admiral,peacock,small tortoiseshell and a comma (a first for my garden list). now looking forward to some of the more unusual species later this year.
mark
yellowhammer

Post by yellowhammer »

I've had 5 this week as well - peacock, small tortoiseshell, comma, brimstone and a white. No RA yet though.
eccles

Post by eccles »

No small torts here yet. :(
roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

6 Small Torts in Thaxted Essex yesterday, also my first small white of the year.
Will

Post by Will »

Saw my first Orange Tip today, a male, along with 8+ Peacock, 2 Brimstone and 3 Small Tortoiseshell. All were at the WWT National Wetland Centre Wales at Llanelli, SW Wales.
Will
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

A fully-grown Red Admiral larva in its larval tent today at the local park. Climate change or what! I guess the egg must have been laid 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Amazing.

Cheers,

- Pete
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Saw first small white I have seen in Mountstewart! I was looking at some daisys and saw a white thing move and there it was. I also saw 2 peacock butterflies at Mountstewart Gardens. Nice to see.
ianc

Post by ianc »

Small White in Carlisle Cemetery this afternoon and a fast flying large reddish coloured Butterfly to quick to catch up with.
Ian
markatbath

Post by markatbath »

At last a first Holly Blue , It landed on a friends hand an just sat there for a few minutes. I should really carry a camera with me at all times
regards
Mark
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

9 Small Tortoiseshell butterflies at Mountstewart. Very fast and very active. How would I catch them? i would like to breed them, I have one already. How can you tell male from female. Is male smaller?
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Dave,

I doubt you'll get the adult butterflies to mate (this is extremely difficult with vanessids) and suggest you let the critter go. I also know that many people that visit the website would find it quite abhorrent that anyone would want to net any butterfly or moth. You should also be aware that taking stock from the wild is illegal for some species - so be warned!

If you want to breed Small Tortoiseshell, then you should first be aware that this is a rapidly-declining species. But if you do want to help this species, I suggest you do this by finding the larvae and then breed 4 or 5 through on growing foodplant, and release the adults where you found them.

In general, if you do want to rear species, then I think you're going about it the wrong way. Taking stock from the wild is frowned upon nowadays. You'd be better off obtaining stock from a commercial supplier (such as Worldwide Butterflies) - and be aware of the restrictions of releasing any adults that emerge.

Cheers,

- Pete
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I will keep that in mind. On spring butteflies, I saw the first speckled wood today (male) at Mountstewart Northern Ireland.
roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

A walk around Fingringhoe wick in Essex proved productive for me today as i saw my first ever [ positively identified ] Green Veined White, also lots of Peacocks and Commas.
ianc

Post by ianc »

3 Small Tortoiseshell Butterflies in my garden at Carlisle this afternoon.
Ian
Chris

spring butterflies

Post by Chris »

Spring has finally arrived for me. This weekend I have seen Brimstone, Small White, GV White, Speckled Wood, Tortoiseshell and Peacock. No Orange-tip or Holly Blue yet :o@

Return to “Sightings”