Help! I need help identifying a butterfly

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
darrenofweedon

Help! I need help identifying a butterfly

Post by darrenofweedon »

This evening I was leaving work and saw a butterfly near my offices that I have not seen before and am unable to identify. The butterfly was a silvery/slate grey on the wing but the edges of the wing were trimmed with a pinkish/reddy trim. The body was also pinkish/reddy which gave it a distinct red colour when in flight. I did not get a photo as I did not have a camera. I know its a long shot but can anyone help?
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Help! I need help identifying a butterfly

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Sounds like a cinnabar moth Darren? See our day-flying moths section (via the drop-down 'species' column in the green menu bar near the top of the home page).

Trev
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

which gave it a distinct red colour when in flight.
Depending on size, two possibilities. Larger ....Red Underwing Moth ( a frequent day Flyer particularly if disturbed ) Smaller... Cinnabar Moth ....

I have often seen the beautiful Red Underwing flying during the day and at first sighting, a Red Admiral comes to mind. It has a very Butterfly like strong flight. The much smaller Cinnabar usually looks feeble on the wing ...

Favourite has to be Red Underwing...that's where my money would go ... 'bout time I backed a winner ..:)

http://images.whatsthatbug.com/wp-conte ... ing_nm.jpg
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
darrenofweedon

Post by darrenofweedon »

Thanks guys - definitely a cinnabar moth a real beauty.

Return to “Identification”