Compact Digital

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Compact Digital

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi all,

Now this is going to sound like a strange question. But sometimes (with digital SLR + macro lens in hand) I want to take a shot of (say) the site I'm visiting (for example). The macro lens provides a pretty limited angle of view for this kind of shot and, rather than carry 2 SLRs with 2 lenses - or (even worse) changing lenses in the field (did this once, and will never do it again, since it covered the sensor in dust) - I'd like to carry a compact digital with me - just to get a "record" shot of the site and any other details that the macro lens isn't really suited to.

So - the question then is - what would you recommend? Remember - I don't need a macro facility. I'm after a general-purpose compact digital!!! Compact being the operative word :)

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Cheers,

- Pete
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Pete...

I'd overcome your fear of changing lenses! Can't say I've ever had the problem and I change lenses regularly outside. Furthermore... I'm sure there is much more dust indoors? Maybe I've been lucky or you've been the opposite!

Regards,

Chris
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

It depends how much you want to spend Pete, but I've been very impressed with my Canon Powershot A95, which set me back a shade over £200 (I believe it has now been superseded by another model). The swivelling screen is also very useful when you want to do self-portraits, as I do when I'm fishing! Here's a shot I took at Arnside Knot.

DJT
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Chris wrote:Hi Pete...

I'd overcome your fear of changing lenses! Can't say I've ever had the problem and I change lenses regularly outside. Furthermore... I'm sure there is much more dust indoors? Maybe I've been lucky or you've been the opposite!

Regards,

Chris
Thanks Chris. To be honest, it's more than changing lenses. It's just the hassle and inconvenience. I can guarantee that, just after I've changed lenses, the shot I've been waiting for all my life (whatever that is) presents itself before me - only to find that I have the wrong lens on! Given the subject we're dealing with here, I know (from painful experience) that the difference between an average shot, and a great shot, can be seconds (or fractions of a second). In a nutshell, I want my macro lens attached to my digital SLR 100% of the time :)

But thanks for the encouragement! Yes - had a gust of wind come up behind me when I last changed lenses in the field (most of which ended up on my sensor!).

Cheers,

- Pete
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I got a Samsung Digimax L85 and is a great premium compact camera. I would only use a DSLR for landscape shots, shots of animals and similar. Not for butterfly or insect pics.

Best thing about it is the great closeups and quick to use (sort off). Wanting a Samsung GX10 DSLR. Looks nice and I would not use one for butterfy shots, to much like you said can happen. Just use a compact, like I do and shoot away.
wightbutterflies

Post by wightbutterflies »

I recently purchased a small compact camera to fit in my pocket when I don't want to take out the SLR, plus for trips away on business. It is the canon A530, I have to say that I'm very pleased with it and although it is only 5 million pixels, takes great pictures.

I would recommend this, as I have been pleased with the results. I'm yet to take any butterfly shots with it as I have not yet seen any this year :(

Return to “Photography”