Black Hairstreak sites

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Michaeljf

Black Hairstreak sites

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi there,

this is my first post so please be gentle :wink: ...I live in South Wales and I'd really like to get some photos this year of the Black Hairstreak (adult). In the last couple of years I've tried visiting Bernwood meadows (near Horton-Cum-Studley, Oxfordshire) - which is a lovely spot on a sunny weekend - however, I'm yet to see any Black Hairstreaks there. Now of course, as with all species I know it's down to timing and the weather. Last year I think I went at the start of July (having been tipped off about the site whilst visiting Bernwood Forest just down the road) but was told I was too late. I went to the meadows last weekend (June 19th) and no sign yet, though admittedly it was a bit cloudy. I notice that one side of the meadow has Ash and privet flowers (though the privet flowers aren't quite in bloom yet).

So, a couple of questions: 1) are there still Black Hairstreaks at Bernwood Meadows? 2) are we now entering peak time (considering flying times are often earlier in the year for a lot of species) or (3) are there better sites in Oxfordshire quite near there? Please keep in mind that we can get to BM in just over 2 hours from Newport (Wales), and further afield may be a bit of a pain..(well definitely for my wife) :wink:

I also tried Whitecross Green Wood last week but couldn't find an entrance to that site, though along the road there was a fishing lake where I was told it was 'down the road'... :?
millerd

Re: Black Hairstreak sites

Post by millerd »

The entrance to Whitecross Green Wood is at SP600150 (near as makes no difference). Go through the gate opposite the thatched cottage, with the farm on your left. Drive up to another gate, and the car park is just beyond. It is annoyingly close to the M40, but with no exit for miles!

Dave
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi Dave,

thanks for that. We did drive past the farm/cottage, but I thought the metal gate was locked at the time, and because it looked further than the SP on the map I wasn't sure if we'd gone too far. What about Bernwood Meadows? Is it worth trying again, or is Whitecross Green wood a more likely successful spot? :?:
millerd

Post by millerd »

I went to both last year (but not so far this year), and saw them in both locations. The WGW site was easier to locate: up the main path, and turn left at the junction. Go just beyond the next junction and there is suitable blackthorn on the left. I found it by dint of there being half a dozen folk there with cricks in their necks looking for hairstreaks!

In Bernwood Meadows, I found them last year at SP610110 in the hedge left of the gate from the meadow into the wood. Reachable from either the small meadow car park, or the main one in the wood, though the latter is renowned for having cars broken into, sadly.

Dave
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Michael,

I was at Whitecross Green Wood yesterday and went to all the usual spots. I only saw about 5, but other people saw more. It may have been the hot weather, but they were not coming down from the tops of the bushes. Even with my sugar solution spray in hand, they did not seem to be interested. They also seemed to be quite worn and I was actually hoping to photograph some fresh individuals. I did not even get the camera out of the bag. Next year I will try again but think I will go to Bernwood Forest. The entrance to Whitecross Green Wood is through the wooden farm gate opposite the thatched cottage. There is no notice board and you have to open the gate yourself.

There is more information on Lee Hurrell's personal diary, who went to Bernwood Forest/Meadows on Sunday and saw 20.

Hope this helps.

Vince
dman61

Post by dman61 »

Hi

There were at least 2 Black Hairstreaks at Bernwood Meadows on 20th June in the hedge to the left of the gate that leads into the wood. They were often high up on the Blackthorn and several territorial / courtship chases were seen. Last week, 13th there were also 2 (that I saw, though more were reported) at Finemere Wood along the Blackthorn hedge on the southern edge of the wood.

Wish you success on next visit

David
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Vince/ Dave / David,

thanks to all of you. It sounds like I might be more successful if I go to the specific spot in the Bernwood meadows - so much of this is local knowledge. Also, admittedly, I think last Sunday was a better day all round for weather, but I was back in Wales at both Welsh Pool (gower peninsula) and Alun Valley (near Bridgend). I did see a couple of early High Brown Fritillaries at the Alun Valley site, though they weren't stopping. :)

Hopefully I can get back to Bernwood Meadows this weekend (weather encouraging etc). By the sounds of it I should lower my expectations of good photos even if I am in the right spot! :wink: What goes into the sugar mix that you are using? Is it just water with sugar mixed in (Castor?) and then sprayed on the leaves as an aphid dew substitute?

Michael
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Michaeljf wrote: What goes into the sugar mix that you are using? Is it just water with sugar mixed in (Castor?) and then sprayed on the leaves as an aphid dew substitute?
Michael,

I think it started off as a simple sugar and water solution, but Neil Hulme (Sussex Kipper) used orange Lucozade to good effect. I put it in an atomiser. See Sussex Kipper's personal diary and the Black Hairstreak thread on the Fieldtrips and Events forum for the results.

Good hunting.

Vince
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Michael,

Just to confirm I was at the point in Bernwood Meadows on Sunday exactly where Dave (Millerd) mentioned - SP610110. I walked through York's Wood to get there, parking in Bernwood Forest at SP610115.

Where the footpath comes out of the wood into the meadows there is a nature reserve sign and they are both to the left and the right of this, more to the right, if you are coming out of the wood.

You should be able to see on the ground where to have a closer look as the vegetation was all trampled when I was there where it seemed many people had been before :roll:

Watch out for the damn horse flies though!

Adrian Riley's book states the middle of the day is the best time to view them, although I'm not sure if the hot weather forecast for the rest of the week will affect this.

Good luck,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi Lee,

thanks for that. I know the spot from when we've been to Bernwood meadows before, though going from 'gut' feelings about the site I hadn't given much attention to that end of the field! As to the horseflies, I'd be more worried about Hornets as there was a very handsome one there last Saturday!

After the last couple of wet summers, it would be churlish to say that now it's going to be too hot for the butterflies! :wink:
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I saw a hornet at that location on Sunday too, along with a broad bodied chaser!

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Sites”