Mystery butterfly on south downs

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Susie

Mystery butterfly on south downs

Post by Susie »

I met some people today and one of them spoke of seeing a dark butterfly on the South Downs, the size of a small tortoiseshell approximately, with a cream edging to its wings. The only thing I could think of which matched that description is a Camberwell beauty but I am sure it couldn't have been that.

I suggested they check out this forum for an ID so it would be great if they saw this thread and we had already found out what it was for them! :lol:
Mark Senior

Re: Mystery butterfly on south downs

Post by Mark Senior »

Camberwell Beauties to get over to Sussex from France occassionally . I saw one in Newhaven 2 years ago and some years ago , now , there was one in Woodingdean present for several days .
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

The description is not what one would expect if someone had seen a Camberwell beauty. This butterfly is substantially bigger than a small tortoiseshell and so different in its bearing and flight presence you would rather expect a novice to say, 'I saw this incredible, huge thing swooping around like a power-glider'. In addition, we are now exactly off-season for Camberwell beauties. Mid-June is about the latest you can hope for a hibernator and mid-July is when the first summer brooders emerge.

Of course, it might have been a Camberwell beauty, but I would look for another solution first.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Like Guy, I think it extremely unlikely that it was a Camberwell Beauty. My family were lucky enough to see one in our garden near Cambridge a few years ago and even from inside the house, it looked huge and we all bundled out into the garden to find out what it was. Only being used to UK species, I had no idea they were so big... considerably bigger than a Silver Washed Frit or a Purple Emperor. In fact, I think only a Swallowtail could potentially exceed its wingspan over here.
Unfortunately, I can't think what it could have been though :(
Potentially a moth(?), but without more details of what other colours it displayed, it would be very difficult to guess.

Trev
Last edited by Trev Sawyer on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susie

Post by Susie »

The butterfly wasn't spotted this year but last I believe and also in previous years so I am not sure as to time of year. I too thought it extremely unlikely to be a Camberwell Beauty but haven't got a clue what it could be. I've only ever seen one once, and that was hibernating in a box a few years back, so have never seen one fly and had no idea of scale other than it being larger rather than smaller but it was beautiful even then.

Ah well, I guess unless the person logs on here and posts a more detailed description we won't know, but I am grateful for your imput anyway, it is much appreciated. Thanks.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Just had a thought Susie...
In the South, there is often an influx of Jersey Tiger moths - I don't think these are on our list of day-flying moths yet(?). They are dark, with cream stripes on their top wings, while their underwings are marked with either orange or red (two different variants).
They are similar-sized to a small tort, so that may be a possible answer - especially as it seems your friends may have seen them on more than one occasion. If they are checking this site - perhaps they can click on the various photos towards the bottom of this link: http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=824

Trev
Susie

Post by Susie »

What an inspired idea! Indeed, it could well be something like that. Unfortunately I don't know these people, we just started chatting and the subject of butterflies came up, but I do hope they see your suggestion.
Crispin

Post by Crispin »

Mark Senior wrote:Camberwell Beauties to get over to Sussex from France occassionally . I saw one in Newhaven 2 years ago and some years ago , now , there was one in Woodingdean present for several days .
One in Woodingdean! When? Surly not this year?
Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

Not this year Crispin , around 10-15 years ago . It was present for a few days and even got a mention ib the Evening argus at the time .

Return to “Identification”