June 2010 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: June 2010 Sightings

Post by David M »

Was much warmer today than the forecast suggested (about 22C) so I drove to Springfield Farm reserve near Usk which is a 50 hectare site containing broad-leaved woodland and hay meadows. Nothing staggering to report on the species front, but in 2 or 3 weeks time I will return as there are thistles/knapweed/bramble flowers waiting to ripen all over the place which I'm sure will attract Dark Green Fritillaries & Marbled Whites when they emerge. Today's count was:

1. Common Blue 40+
2. Large Skipper 20+
3. Meadow Brown 4 (my first of the year, all males)
4. Small Copper 1
5. Small White 1
6. Speckled Wood 1
7. Orange Tip 1 (a male flying along the roadside just as I was arriving)

There were loads of wild orchids and the fact that sheep graze the area means that much of the land isn't too strangled by grasses.
Anyone know what type this is? There were hundreds of them!
Anyone know what type this is? There were hundreds of them!
Very well behaved and fresh looking specimen
Very well behaved and fresh looking specimen
hammer

Post by hammer »

Took a trip to Norfolk this weekend for swallowtails. Visited strumpshaw fen, How hill and Catfield fen, all produced swallowtails but very few numbers, even on a warm sunny day. This swallowtail flew by and decided to land on the buttercups just in front of me, right place, right time.
_MG_5292.JPG
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Thanks hammer, I'll be going to Norfolk sometime this week on a day when the weather looks most suitable.

Difficult butterfly to photograph (except on Martin George's Sweet Williams at Strumpshaw, but that's a bit of a cheat). You did well.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Common Blue - for the first time for many years living up to its name. Truly abundant this early summer.

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

Nice Swallowtail - rarely abundant, even in the thoughtful Mr George's delightful garden!
Has been a good year for Common Blue; hope they can swim; it has teemed it down a lot of the day here
My first Large Skipper yesterday (but it was not a pristine specimen...).
Good numbers of Heath Fritillaries in nice condition in Southend yesterday....
Summer is arriving... :)
CB_m_1_low_Pound_Wood_05_June_2010.jpg
LS_3_low_Pound_Wood_05_June_2010.jpg
HF_7_m_low_Pound_Wood_05_June_2010.jpg
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Jack Harrison wrote:Common Blue - for the first time for many years living up to its name. Truly abundant this early summer.

Jack
Not wrong, we've had extraordinary numbers on transect.

Went for a walk at Bentley Wood today, lots of SPB about, but most are looking a bit worn, and PB very worn, :( but we did see two Painted Lady's. :D

Regards Gruditch
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

Yesterday, 5th June, ventured south of to Park Corner Heath for one of my very few out of local area visits this year where had at least 11 SPBFritters, all looking pretty fresh. Several were well behaved up to about 10.30 which by then they were fully warmed up and rarely settled. Few other butterflies seen here which was a surprise with only 1+ Brimstone, 1 Large Skipper and 1 Large White. A Cream Spotted Tiger showed well for a few minutes whilst other highlights at this great location were Buzzards, a Red Kite, singing Nightingales, Garden Warblers, Willow Warblers and Blackcaps and a fun pair of Treecreepers.

Moved on to Malling Down for Adonis Blue of which there were many and many of these were well tatty but a few were pristine but difficult as they were warmed up. Also here were many Common Blues, a Wall, several Small Coppers and Small Heaths and a couple of Large Whites and Cinnabars.
Attachments
Adonis Blue
Adonis Blue
Adonis Blue
Adonis Blue
Cream Spotted Tiger
Cream Spotted Tiger
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary
David M

Post by David M »

Gruditch wrote:
Jack Harrison wrote:Common Blue - for the first time for many years living up to its name. Truly abundant this early summer.

Jack
Not wrong, we've had extraordinary numbers on transect.

Went for a walk at Bentley Wood today, lots of SPB about, but most are looking a bit worn, and PB very worn, :( but we did see two Painted Lady's. :D

Regards Gruditch
Couldn't agree more. There are silly numbers of them at the moment. Maybe the harsh winter and a dry late April and most of May has helped the larvae prosper.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Just a bit of fun after last night’s catch.
Jack
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

Visited Stover Park near Newton Abbot in Devon last Friday, saw a few Pearl Bordered Fritillaries and Common Blues along with a couple of Cinnabar Moths.
felix123

Post by felix123 »

Went to Cerne Abbas Hill two days ago saw lots and I mean hundreds of Marsh Fritillaries!(my First ever fritillary) also over 20 Adonis blues(first ever!) a prestine large skipper(first ever!), 4x Dingy skipper and 1x Grizzled skipper(first ever!)and 1x Brown argus(first ever!)and 5x small heath.

Also a man told me that he had see a Dark green fritillary and a Duke of burgandy in the morning of that day!

I saw lots of common blues(you are all right they are very common this year)at my local field and a presting medow brown(first of the year)and finally saw 5 painted ladies(there back!!! :D )

Felix
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Top spotting Felix! An excellent tally of butterflies! :D
Neil
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

felix123 wrote:Went to Cerne Abbas Hill two days ago saw lots and I mean hundreds of Marsh Fritillaries!(my First ever fritillary) also over 20 Adonis blues(first ever!) a prestine large skipper(first ever!), 4x Dingy skipper and 1x Grizzled skipper(first ever!)and 1x Brown argus(first ever!)and 5x small heath.

Also a man told me that he had see a Dark green fritillary and a Duke of burgandy in the morning of that day!

I saw lots of common blues(you are all right they are very common this year)at my local field and a presting medow brown(first of the year)and finally saw 5 painted ladies(there back!!! :D )

Felix
Glad you posted the Meadow Brown sighting, I thought I saw one yesterday at Martin Down but had almost convinced myself it couldn't have been one as it was too early.

Also seen were Small, Common and Adonis Blues, Small Heath, Green Hairstreak, Speckled Wood, Brimstone, Brown Argus, Red Admiral and a single Large Skipper.

Bill
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Felix:
.....saw lots and I mean hundreds of Marsh Fritillaries!....
And I wouldn’t mind betting that in sixty or seventy year’s time, you will still remember that day back in 2010 – you might never see numbers like that again.

I can still recall vividly my first every sighting of a White Admiral; that was around 60 years ago (when I was a mere 12 year old)

Jack
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Small pearl-bordered fritillaries seen at Ningwood Common ( Hants & IOW Wildlife Trust reserve) last evening- thankfully before today's rain! :D
Taken on a Lumix FZ38 digital camera-very impressive - thanks Neil for the recommendation.
Attachments
01-Pratt-Ian--P1010135.1.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1010160-Edit.1.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1010164.1.jpg
Denise

Post by Denise »

Jack Harrison wrote:Just a bit of fun after last night’s catch.
Jack
Love it Jack :D
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Hertfordshire - new species

My post code is XYZ Village, Royston, Herts even though I live in Cambridgeshire. (Post Codes do not necessarily indicate the actual county, but the county of the “post town”). But Hertfordshire County Council is intent on wasting its taxpayers’ money and I receive the Hertfordshire County Council magazine.

It seems that a new butterfly species has taken up residence in Herts. This photo
purports to show a Dingy Skipper. I’m not quite sure what species it is that has colonised my neighbouring county but judging from the picture it could be a Mallow or some type of Marbled Skipper.

Keep a look out for it.

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

I'd go for Mallow Skippper, too! Hope it makes it to Cambridge!
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That's definitely a mallow skipper. I believe it is true that this species doubled its British population during 2009.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

Hello,

8 June 2010
My first Cinnabar Moth of the year flitted amongst the grasses and herbs on the southern bank of Buckingham Cutting, north Shoreham, where about fifty Small Blue Butterflies were immediately seen in an area of five square metres in just two minutes.

Adur Butterfly & Large Moth List
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Butterfly-list2010.html

Cheers

Andy Horton
glaucus@hotmail.com
Adur Valley Nature Notes
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Adur2010.html
Adur Valley Nature Notes: June 2010
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/June2010.html
Sussex Downs Facebook Group
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=111843132181316

Return to “Sightings”