Swallowtails in Norfolk - 5th & 6th June

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
mattberry

Swallowtails in Norfolk - 5th & 6th June

Post by mattberry »

Hi,

Julian and I are currently planning our pilgrimage to Norfolk to see and photograph the majestic Swallowtail butterflies. This year we thought it would be nice to invite others to join us and extend it into more of a photography meet up / wildlife watching weekend.

We'll spend the whole weekend there but if others would like to spend a single day instead that would be fine.

I'm just putting out some feelers to guage what interest there might be from members of UK Butterflies, we can work out the details later, once we have a better picture of how many people might be coming.

I hope some of you will be able to make it. From my point of view it would be nice to finally meet people from the site.

Kind regards
Matt
mattberry

Re: Swallowtails in Norfolk - 5th & 6th June

Post by mattberry »

Hi all,

Just a quick update about this field trip. We are virtually full to capacity now but could probably squeeze in a few more people, so if anyone is thinking about joining us please get in touch with me soon.

Now lets hope this weather picks up again soon, bbrrrr!

Kind regards
Matt
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Matt, I just came back last Sunday from Norfolk, had a great time but no Swallow Tails to be found.
The weather was great, thought this would wake a few up, no chance. The locals said they were late this year because of the cold winter we had, the meadow in the fen was closed. 'Hickling Fen' the board walks were open though.
I did get a picture of a Wall which was my frirst of the year
I thought I'd let you know, may be you could check on those Meadows being open before you go. Good luck, good hunting
Goldie M :)
mattberry

Post by mattberry »

Thanks for the message Goldie & apologies for the delay in responding, only just came online after a hectic past week.

A group of about 14 ventured to Norfolk over the weekend and I am happy to report we had a very successful trip! :)

We saw about 20 Swallowtails on the wing on Saturday and just about everyone got some shots. Regardless of the photography everyone enjoyed the spectacle of these majestic creatures in such beautiful Norfolk Broad surroundings, myself included.

We also got to see and photograph several species of dragonfly, including the local speciality the Norfolk Hawker so that was a real bonus!

I won't bore you with all the details but all in all it was an excellent weekend and I got to meet some lovely like minded people, sadly nobody attached to the UK butterlies site made it but nevermind.

Hope you get back to see the Swallowtails soon. The next 2 weeks should be good, depending on the weather of course!

Matt
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

How did the trip go? I am in Norfolk from next Saturday and hope to go to the Catfield Fen open day on Sunday and possibly Strumpshaw Fen. Any other suggestions for good sites for butterflies generally and swallowtails in particular? :?:
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Sorry for not replying Matt. You could say I was sick with envey :mrgreen: I"ve been busy here though.
We won't get back there this year, there's always next year though :) Goldie M

Return to “Field Trips and Events”