Turkish Report

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Turkish Report

Post by Vince Massimo »

This is the first part of a report of my visit to Olu Deniz on the south-western coast of Turkey between 16th and 22nd May 2010. I have tried to positively identify all of the butterfly species of which I am posting photos, relying mainly on a Field Guide to the Butterflies of Turkey by Ahmet Baytas as my reference. However I still found myself referring to Tolman/Lewington and also the excellent European websites of Guy Padfield, Roger Gibbons and Matt Rowlings for some further concise guidance. As always, if anyone can offer any corrections or further information, this would be appreciated.

Until I arrived, I did not realise just how mountainous and rugged the country is, often with mountains coming straight down to the sea. This means that a lot of the coastal areas are inaccessable except by boat, but in any event my impression was that the coast in general and the coastal resort areas in particular are not very good for butterflies. I did not really encounter much in the way of wildlife, or even birds around the resort. Butterfly Valley, just down the coast to the south-east is an exception because of its particular geography and micro-climate (see later comments).

This was not a butterflying trip, but the best places I found for insects were in the mountains and areas of wild flowers. Coming across such a site I was impressed by the sheer number, diversity and size of insects. You could have put a saddle on some of the crickets and I was absolutly fascinated by the adult antlions and lacewing that I encountered.

The coastal resort of Olu Deniz is hemmed in by mountains. It has a salt water lagoon at one end, part of which is fenced off as a nature conservation area for which there is a small entry charge to access its beaches. Here on 16th May I found 2 Lattice Brown around a clearing dominated by a pine tree. They were still in exactly the same place on 18th May.
Lattice Brown
Lattice Brown
An aborted day trip to the mountains on 19th May (the coach never turned up) gave us an unexpected free day. While the wife chose to go to a Turkish Bath, I arranged to share transportation up nearby Babadag mountain in an open truck with some paragliding people to watch them jump off. 45minutes later, at 1700m I found 4 Lesser Spotted Fritillary and a Wall Brown.
Male Lesser Spotted Fritillary
Lesser Spotted Fritillary country
Lesser Spotted Fritillary country
A self-guided tour using local minibuses on 20th May took us to the nearby site of Kaya Koy, a small hillside town vacated by the Greek residents in the 1920's, which the local Turks subsequently refused to inhabit. It has thus remained deserted and the stone buildings have gradually been reclaimed by nature. This has now become an absolute haven for wild flowers and insects of all kinds, but especially butterflies, crickets, grasshoppers, beetles, wasps and, my favourates, the antlions and lacewings.
Kaya Koy
Kaya Koy
It is close to the coast and only a few hundred metres above sea level at its highest point, but even with this small difference in height, I found that the further up the site you went, the better things got. One of the highlights for me was a good colony of Loew's Blue on the slope behind the church at the top. I hope I have arrived at this identification correctly. All of the diognostic features seem to fit, but the clincher for me was that the males had a metallic sheen on the uppersides.
Male Loew's Blue
Male Loew's Blue
Male Loew's Blue
Male Loew's Blue
Female Loew's Blue
Female Loew's Blue
Female Loew's Blue
Female Loew's Blue
Loew's Blue Pair
Loew's Blue Pair
To be continued................................

Vince
Vince Massimo

Re: Turkish Report

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is part 2 of the report..........

Another highlight for me at Kaya Koy was the good number of Eastern Meadow Brown (Maniola telmessia). These do not usually share the same grassy habitat as the european form (M. jurtina), preferring instead open pine woods and scrub. Apart from the different habitat, they are fairly easy to distinguish fom M.jurtina because the males are very much smaller (Gatekeeper-sized), while the females have stronger and more contrasting colouration on upper and undersides.
Female Eastern Meadow Brown
Male Eastern Meadow Brown
There were also fair numbers of Ilex Hairstreak plus a few Blue Spot hairstreak.
Ilex Hairstreak
Ilex Hairstreak
Blue Spot Hairstreak
Blue Spot Hairstreak
Other firsts were Levantine Skipper, Mallow Skipper, Speckled Wood (P. aegeria) and Powdered Brimstone, all in quite small numbers. I was also pleased to see a few Lulworth Skipper which is an endangered and declining species in Turkey plus some Swallowtails (P. machaon) and found what is possibly an early instar of a Southern Swallowtail larva (P. alexanor).
Male Levantine Skipper (note broken scent mark on forewing)
Male Levantine Skipper (note broken scent mark on forewing)
Female Levantine Skipper
Female Levantine Skipper
Male Powdered Brimstone
Male Powdered Brimstone
Female Speckled Wood (P. aegeria)
Female Speckled Wood (P. aegeria)
Swallowtail larva (early instar)
Swallowtail larva (early instar)
The full butterfly list for Kaya Koy on 20th May is:

Mallow Skipper(2), Levantine Skipper(2), Lulworth Skipper(2), Small Skipper(8), Large White(5), Small White(20+), Powdered Brimstone(2),
Swallowtail (4), Speckled Wood (P.aegeria)(1), Lattice Brown(2), Eastern Meadow Brown(50+), Brown Argus(8), Ilex Hairstreak(8),
Blue Spot Hairstreak(3), Loew's Blue(20+).

To be continued......................(Two more installments to come).

Vince
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

I'm pretty certain your swallowtail larva is machaon, despite Guy's suggestion. It has been hard to find images of early instar Southern Swallowtail larvae, but I finally succeeded at http://www.euroleps.ch/seiten/s_art.php ... p.alexanor. They are very different. Your larva has less black on it than usual, but otherwise looks good for the common Swallowtail.

Misha

Edit. If the link doesn't work, just go to euroleps.ch, then select falterand navigate to alexanor.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Thanks Misha, that's an interesting site. I tend to agree that P.machaon is the most likely candidate.

Vince
Susie

Post by Susie »

A great report with beautiful photographs.

Thanks, Vince. :D
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

These are really interesting species - most of which I've never had the chance to see in the flesh. It must have been fascinating.

Sorry to mislead you on alexanor. I would never have guessed at machaon, though having now looked at pictures of early instars I suspect you're right. What a strange little creature it is!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

What a great report this is. I cannot wait for the next episode! :)
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Sorry to keep everybody waiting :D. Here is the third installment.

I was really looking forward to visiting Butterfly Valley, just down the coast, but unfortunately never got there. Butterfly Valley is a gorge (for want of a better word) in the coastal mountains. It is enclosed on three sides by mountains of up to 350m high and open to the sea on the other. This degree of isolation has a bearing on its microclimate which is why it is so special. It's 10 hectares is said to be home to around 35 species of butterfly, but it is more famous for its large gathering of Jersey Tiger moths (Euplagia quadripunctaria). The best link I have is here:
http://www.atamanhotel.com/flora-fauna/ ... alley.html

I had set aside some time for the trip to the valley. The boat service embarks directly from the beach at Olu Deniz, which can be challanging if there is a swell or breaking surf. Such difficulties and resultant delays are multiplied by 2 when taking disembarkation into account at the other end. And so it was on 21st May. Passengers were having to wade out at least waist-deep into the surf to reach the rear steps of the boat. With weather conditions possibly set to worsen and delays building up, I had to abandon that route.
My kind of boat (but not today)
My kind of boat (but not today)
The alternative option was to go overland to the head of the gorge and then climb down the cliff face via a very steep path (ropes positioned at certain points). With time running out I reluctantly changed my plans and instead had another half day at Kaya Koy. This time in much cloudier conditions making the butterflies much more approachable. In fact most of the photos I have posted so far were taken in these conditions. The visit on 21st May produced more of the same but added: Clouded Yellow (1), Long Tailed Blue (2) and Small Copper (1)
Male Lulworth Skipper
Male Lulworth Skipper
Female Long Tailed Blue
Female Long Tailed Blue
Female Long Tailed Blue
Female Long Tailed Blue
Male Lulworth Skipper
Male Lulworth Skipper
Female Lulworth Skipper
Female Lulworth Skipper
The Small Copper was interesting. In Turkey the Spring form is the same colour as ours in the UK, but the Summer form is very much darker. This one looked like it had just hatched.
Female Small Copper (Summer Form)
Female Small Copper (Summer Form)
Here also is the complete list of all the sightings in and around Olu Deniz (including Babadag Mountain).

16th May: Lattice Brown (2).
17th May: Brimstone sp. (1).
18th May: Gatekeeper sp. (1).
19th May: Lesser Spotted Fritillary (4), Wall Brown (1).
20th May: (see Kaya Koy).
21st May: (see Kaya Koy).
Plus numerous Small and Large Whites throughout the week.
22nd May was spent in and around Dalyan where I saw: Clouded Yellow (2), Brimstone sp. (1) and Common Blue (1).

To be continued..................................The final installment will cover insects and other things.

Vince
Last edited by Vince Massimo on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

This final installment covers insects and all other sightings of interest. My favourates were the crickets, antlions and lacewings. I do not have identities for many of them yet, so will just post the photos. Firstly the crickets and grasshoppers. These were huge, but I was unable to get photos of some of the really big ones because they skuttled into the undergrowth when approached. I did not want to poke them with a stick in case they grabbed the stick and poked me back.
Cricket 1
Cricket 1
Cricket 2
Cricket 2
Grasshopper 1
Grasshopper 1
Then there were a couple of nice beetles and an evil-looking Robber-Fly
Beetle 1
Beetle 1
Beetle 2
Beetle 2
Robber-Fly
Robber-Fly
And so to the antlions and lacewings. I was so totally unprepared to see these that I did not even know to which order of the insect kingdom they belonged. It was not until I got back home that I discovered I had seen 2 species of antlion (or perhaps a male and a female of the same species). One (not photographed) resembled a very large damselfly with clear wings, but had telltale antennae, showing that it was not what it first seemed. The other looked more like the rare British form but was much larger (about the size of an Emperor dragonfly).
Antlion
Antlion
Only one of each was seen.

Lastly came this beautiful creature which I have now identified as Nemoptera sinuata (Spoonwing Lacewing, but also known as a Thread-winged Antlion).
Nemoptera sinuata
Nemoptera sinuata
Nemoptera sinuata
Nemoptera sinuata
It is a docile pollen-feeder, about the size of a swallowtail, but is a weak flier. Over a dozen were seen at Kaya Koy and a singleton near the lagoon at Olu Deniz.

Other interesting sightings included wild tortoises in Olu Deniz, including one crossing the road at speed and White Storks nesting in Dalyan. I was also impressed with the Lycian rock tombs there.
The fastest tortoise I have ever seen
The fastest tortoise I have ever seen
White Stork at Dalyan
White Stork at Dalyan
Lycian rock tombs at Dalyan
Lycian rock tombs at Dalyan
In all I saw around 21 species of butterfly, but can only wonder as to what could be found off the beaten track in the wider countryside. I certainly hope to return soon. If anybody is intending to do any serious butterflying in Turkey they will definately need the Fieldguide to the Butterflies of Turkey to suppliment Toleman/Lewington. The link is:
http://www.pemberleybooks.co.uk/cgi-bin ... item=15060 (or go to the NHBS site).
It gives details of 344 species that you may encounter and uses photos to illustrate 280 of them. The species are not necessarily discussed and illustrated in strict taxonomic order, but instead, similar looking butterflies are grouped together so as to make comparisons, and therefore their field identification, easier. This is one of the plus points of the book, together with its concise information on identification features and habitat. This is just as well, because some of the photos are quite poor. However this is only a minor quibble. The author is to be commended for putting together such a comprehensive guide, considering he does not live in Turkey and did all his fieldwork during regular trips from his home in America.

I hope this report is useful to anyone planing a trip to this wonderful country.

Vince.
Last edited by Vince Massimo on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Hi Vince,

Thank you for posting such a detailed report. I am glad you enjoyed your trip there.
I see that you went to Dalyan. Did you see any dragonflies there?

Turkey is indeed a beautiful country, I certainly fell in love with it when I went there last year. We are planning a second trip there next year and this time to Adana which is further East along the coast. I wonder what kind of butterflies we will see in this part of the country, I may get a copy of the book that you have recommended if it covers the whole country.
Sylvie
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

A fantastic report Vince and a very interesting read. Brilliant photos too :mrgreen:

That lacewing is stunning!

All the best,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

Vince, glad to see you were impressed by some of the orthoptera! Your first bush-cricket is a Poecilimon species, a very difficult genus that cannot usually be identified to species from photos. Fer Willemse lists 34 species for Greece in his Catalogue. The second one is a species of Eupholidoptera another fairly tricky genus. Your specimen closely resembles an E. megastyla I photographed years ago at Delphi, but could well be a different species. 15 species listed for Greece. The third is either a nymph of the brown form of the Wartbiter, Decticus verrucivorus or of the larger mediterranean species Decticus albifrons. The beautiful antlion is Palpares libelluloides. You may not have seen many species of butterfly, but there's quality in those you did see, and in your photos too.

Misha
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Thanks for your comments everybody.

Misha - I am grateful for the extra information. I am particularly pleased to have the Antlion identity confirmed.

Sylvie - The Turkish butterfly fieldguide covers the whole of the country. Range maps have not been included because the distributions of the species are not really fully known. For species with relatively limited distributions, individual provinces are often given, while general regions are given for the more widespread butterflies. The provincial map of Turkey is produced at the front of the book for easy reference. On this trip I only encountered one species of dragonfly which was at the mudbaths in Dalyan where they were seen in large numbers. They were about the size of our Migrant Hawker, golden yellow in colour and in constant flight.

Vince

Return to “Overseas”