Any advice for my hibernating colony please!

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
housefly

Any advice for my hibernating colony please!

Post by housefly »

Hello everyone,

For the last couple of years I've been making a point of catching and releasing any butterflies bashing around in the house in spring/summer, and last year saw some better than average returns.

I got 2 small groupings (8 each) of small tortoiseshells on an indoor ceiling, which was really nice to see, plus some random individuals around the house.
I just went to check on the main room the other day during a mild sunny afternoon and there were a few active, including a rather large and tired looking peacock.
Sadly I'd already missed a couple who had perished on the windowsill.

I did manage to interest the peacock in some hand feeding of sugar solution, but the active tortoiseshells didn't go for it or some semi rotten pear.

I have shown them an open window, even putting the most active tortoiseshell outside on the sill, but when I checked later he'd walked back indoors and settled again.

My questions are -
When will be the best time to show them the door properly? the peacock seems to respond to human activity (heat and light etc) with some very laboured ocasional wing flaps plus a lot of walking, but doesn't seem ready to go outdoors. Is it best to try to keep them all in as long as possible?

The peacock seems ok and settled again after two days/sessions of sugar solution, is it safe to feed them this?, would honey/a.n.other solution/food be better?

Will the tortoiseshells go for/need any feeding help before release?

Will turning off the radiator in the room help them stay settled due to the cold?..it is on for a period in the morning and evening.

----------------------

that's all my questions! (for now)...sorry to waffle on but I'm getting attached to these little fellows and I want to do the best for them that I can...having the peacock sit on my hand while feeding from a teaspoon has been the highlight of my year so far......having him then go to sleep there and refuse to move was somewhat less fun......it is best to pick them up by the wings eh? :roll:

thanks in advance guys,

brian :wink:
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Brian,

I often get contacted by someone who's found a hibernator in their house, and wonder what to do. My advice is always to let the critter out on the next sunny day where it can warm up and find a more suitable roost.

A lot of people feel that this is "unkind" until they realise that it's not natural for a butterfly to roost in a centrally-heated house and what often happens is the critter dries up and ultimately perishes.

Cheers,

- Pete
housefly

Post by housefly »

thanks for your reply peter.....thankfully the weather has turned cold again and everyone has settled back down to sleep. :)

from what i can see on your info pages the peacocks and tortoiseshells come out usually around the end of march? so hopefully they'll last till then....i'll turn off the radiator and check them everyday and if anyone wakes up ....they'll get the windowsill treatment! :D

thanks again,
brian
jayne

Post by jayne »

Hiya I joined the forum to ask a simialr question.
I've had about 14 tortoiseshells hibernating in an empty house and have notised the numbers dwilding. I go in there on hot days to see if they've worken up but can never find any flying around.
Anways the other day I've found a dead one lying on the floor right under where it was clinging to so I don't think it died from being exausted. Could it have dried up? The other 3 deads one I've found near windows so have now left the bathroom window wide open (it opens like a door so they'll easily fly out).

There was one on the bathroom floor yesetrday that had it's wings open so I figured it was ready to fly off but when I checked today it was laying on it's side and closed up so I thought it was dead. I picked it up using my fingers and put it on a plate and it started twitching it's wings. I moved it again without using my fingers, I hope I haven't damanaged it. I think it's weak. Is there anything I can do for it?

I tried putting some pear infront of it thinking it could smell it and might eat some. Should I go to the local shop and buy some flowers? No idea what to do.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Jayne,

Most "hibernators" go into a semi-comatose state and take some time to "awake" from their slumber. All butterflies need to be warmed up before they can fly, and often vibrate their wings to accelerate the process. Moths do the same.

If the critter is dehydrated, you could trying spraying it with a fine spray of water. Or offer it a mix of sugar diluted in water, and absorbed in a cotton wool pad. Either way - I'd recommend playing them in a cool position outside if possible. They'll find their own way to a suitable roost!

Cheers,

- Pete

Return to “General”