2010 Photography Workshop

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
ChrisC

Re: 2010 Photography Workshop

Post by ChrisC »

and a thanks to all from me too. had a great day, what with the butterflies the stoat, the lizard not to mention the speakers and the company. was good to put some faces to names.

ChrisC
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I'd also like to add my thanks to Pete, Gary and Lisa, all of the speakers for their advice and Mr Oates for the most compelling reason for doing what we do that I've ever heard!

It was a thoroughly enjoyful day, great afternoon location and great to meet some of the members on here I've been talking to for the last year. Thanks also to Susie for the cuttings.

What were your 11 species Gary? I saw Green Hairstreak, Brimstone, Orange Tip, Green Veined White, Small White, Peacock and Dingy Skipper. Missed the Grizzles. Oh,I also saw a lizard and a Green Woodpecker and 4 Swallows.
IMG_3195.jpg
Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Many thanks to all involved; Pete, Gary and Lisa for all the organisation and all the marvellous speakers too, it was an excellent day. And as a local to the area it was my first visit to Danebury...which was nice :D

Cheers

Bill
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Lee, you can add Holly Blue, Painted Lady, and Small Tort. I missed the Holly Blue and the Dingy.

Regards Gruditch
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Thanks to all from myself for a most enjoyable day. It was good to catch up with the BF membars I met last year and to put some new faces to familiar names.

These are my best images of the day showing the brimstone ovipositing and the resultant egg.

IMG_3301.JPG
IMG_3313.JPG
BTW if "to do a Bogle" is going down in BF slang - then after his most inspiring talk, "getting your Oates" takes on a whole new meaning and should now refer to a sublime and inspiring wildlfe experience. :wink:

Colin
Susie

Post by Susie »

ColinC wrote: BTW if "to do a Bogle" is going down in BF slang - then after his most inspiring talk, "getting your Oates" takes on a whole new meaning and should now refer to a sublime and inspiring wildlfe experience. :wink:

Colin
Love it! :mrgreen:

Gorgeous brimstone shot.
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks to everyone from me to, it was a very informative and interesting day along with the great company, although all it has done is made me realise I need to up the anti and spend some money on the right kit, so will be asking for some advise over the coming weeks on what camera and lens etc and can someone please give me details of the tripod that was show.

Thanks again to all

Andy
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Pete Eeles wrote:... I'll provide a figure once I've done the accounting!
Looks like we raised £220 for BC :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

can someone please give me details of the tripod that was show.
Hi Andy, the Tripod was

Manfrotto 190CXPRO4

You might want to test it out in a shop, so you can see which type of head, would suit you the most. I have the pistol grip style which is Manfrotto 322RC2 and there are various ball heads.

Many thanks for the book Pete. :)
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pete,
That's great news. Another £32 from the sale of BC Sussex Annual Reports will go towards saving my beloved Duke of Burgundy :D . Thanks to all that purchased a copy.
Neil
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Good news about the money raised.

Neil, your report is great reading and is on my desk at work waiting for lunchtime so I can go and sit in the sun and continue reading it.

On page 41, your introduction to butterflies was similar to mine, although it was my uncle rather than my father. Of course, my Dad did get involved once they took over my life. I especially like the line "the best days in the field are still those spent in his company". I can no longer do that with my uncle, but I know exactly what you mean.

The line about your mother being tolerant of your caterpillars also reminds me of my own mum watching me exit the garage with yet another breeding cage I'd just built either full of nettles and Small Tortoiseshell or Deaths Head Hawkmoth catherpillars!

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

A couple of shots from the day. Please add yours!

Cheers,

- Pete
Matthew Oates and Elliott Staley - Renowned expert and budding protege!
Matthew Oates and Elliott Staley - Renowned expert and budding protege!
Green Hairstreak hunters
Green Hairstreak hunters
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
rikski

Post by rikski »

Just want to give a belated thank you to Pete for adding me and my brother to this event, I think we were stand bys!
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Morning Pete could you also count me in. I came last year for the first time and found it very informative and met some great likeminded people. I must say though I was a few pence lighter once I bought all the equipment after the meeting having had a couple of subsequent meets and great advice from Gary and Lisa. Additionally I am looking to meet up/get advice on any butterfly spotting holidays if anyone can give me some pointers.

Cheers

Andy
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Sorry ignor previous post got the wrong year but will be comming to this event again in 201

Andy

Return to “Field Trips and Events”