April 2010 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Dave McCormick

Re: April 2010 Sightings

Post by Dave McCormick »

Excellent Vince, I have never seen this in Peacock butterflies either, only Small Tortoiseshell, nice observation. Now what would be rarer if someone managed to get Red Admiral courtship or even mating as thats pretty rare to observe in wild.

Saw a small tortoiseshell today flying along the water edge of Strangford Lough as I was waiting for bus this morining, sat in good place, just too bad I didn't have a camera with me.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
NickB

Post by NickB »

My first Holly Blue of the year - a male, in the Cemetery. It is 13 days later than last year and 14 days later than the year before that, so things seem to be catching up fast..
If the weather holds, I'll be out on Saturday with the camera...
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
NickB

Post by NickB »

Pete Eeles wrote:Excellent observation Vince - I've never come across anything like this myself. I've seen Small Torts courting, but never Peacocks.
Cheers,
- Pete
Reminded me of last year about this time. I saw a pair of Peacocks displaying in a similar way to Vince. (I had just seen my first Dingy Skippers and Hairstreaks and tended to ignore it.) Following sequence was over about 5 mins or so; he (I presume "he") became very excited and started to display and flick his antennae over her wings, then stopped for a while and repeated the performance. I left after about 10mins after he had resumed his vigil next to her. She remained unmoved and closed-winged throughout - unimpressed not doubt...
Peacocks_Flirting_1_low_19_04_2009.jpg
Peacocks_Flirting_2_low_19_04_2009.jpg
Peacocks_Flirting_3_low_19_04_2009.jpg
Peacocks_Flirting_4_low_19_04_2009.jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Small Tort, Purple Hairstreak (egg) today - Midford, S of Bath.
55bloke

Post by 55bloke »

AT LAST!!! Finally, I had an hour or so strolling round some open ground, armed with my camera,this afternoon, and can officially report that Spring has arrived in South Yorkshire! Nothing like the numbers and variety reported by you Southerners, but several Small Torts (or perhaps just one, very active one?!!) a single Peacock, and a very battered Comma:
Sorry about the inevitable intrusive blades of grass!!

Oh, and LOTS of large Bumble Bees flying back and forth across the ground, looking for nest sights at a guess. Tricky to photograph:
Deano

Post by Deano »

Hello everyone

Nice to see so many nice photos of courting butterflies. I came across several pairs yesterday, including this strange "match".

Has anyone else seen this sort of thing before?
Attachments
Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell RAW 214.jpg
IAC

Post by IAC »

Hi all,
Deano wrote:Hello everyone

Nice to see so many nice photos of courting butterflies. I came across several pairs yesterday, including this strange "match".

Yes Deano, last year in fact...he was not taking no for an answer either...the Peacock did what any decent individual would do under these circumstances, and tried best to pretend that nothing was happening. The Peacock finally escaped his amorous clutches. But I bet she never mentioned this incident to any of her mates.....THE SHAME.........

Today in volcanic ash strewn South East Scotland...52 Peacock, 28 Small Tortoiseshell, 7 Comma, 5 Green Veined White, 1 Small White.

Cheers IAC.
Attachments
APRI13 011_1.jpg
Deano

Post by Deano »

Thanks IAC.

You certainly did well with your butterfly count in the volcanic ash then!

Best wishes,

Deano.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Blimey, that you did IAC!

I bet the Small Tort was bragging to his mates later though.....

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I bet the Small Tort was bragging to his mates later though.....
You reckon? I think the Peacock was under age.

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

Another beautiful day - and with no planes from Stansted, very quiet! Cycled out to the Devils Dyke and visited the Burwell railway cutting where it cuts the Dyke. Lots of Brimstones, Peacocks; a few Small Tort and the odd Small White, and a very light Comma. Highlight was a colony of Green Hairstreak - several males vying for top GH, in between posing and nectaring.
Nikon D300, Nikkor 200mm macro, f14, @1/250th, -0.7ve
Nikon D300, Nikkor 200mm macro, f14, @1/250th, -0.7ve
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Ahha! Methinks Devils Dyke Burwell on Sunday (after the Grand Prix of course).

Jack
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Never seen this before, but this is excellent field work! Given other recent observations (and I hate to jump to conclusions), the courtship of the Peacock doesn't seem too dissimilar to that of the Small Tortoiseshell. Very very interesting!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful day in south wales today and after having seen a male Brimstone fluttering around yesterday I was charged with enthusiasm for the first serious butterfly spot of the year.

Numbers weren't great, but the Mayflower is coming out and I saw 5 male Orange Tips (no females though). I also saw 4 Peacocks, 3 Tortoiseshells, 1 Holly Blue, 1 Large White and a Comma.

Mayflower is abundant on Castle Meadows in Abergavenny and much of it is yet to flower. I'm hoping that if the sunny weather continues then in a couple of weeks the fields will be full of these delightful butterflies.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Sticking with this mini-thread, I have just noticed a report on the Sussex pages for today from Jonathan Wood who saw a mating pair of Peacocks in his garden. He did not mention whether he got a photo. This would be a rare thing indeed :D .

Vince
Deano

Post by Deano »

Pete Eeles wrote:

Never seen this before, but this is excellent field work! Given other recent observations (and I hate to jump to conclusions), the courtship of the Peacock doesn't seem too dissimilar to that of the Small Tortoiseshell. Very very interesting!

Cheers,

- Pete

Thanks Pete!

Best wishes,

Deano.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

NickB wrote: Cycled out to the Devils Dyke and visited the Burwell railway cutting where it cuts the Dyke.
i walked all the way from Reach to the railway crossing near Dullingham... no Green Hairstreaks !! i spent half an hour at the Burwell cutting...some idiot had lit a huge bonfire which was blowing straight down...koff koff

but a lovely day..

Charles

8) 8)
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

That's a stunner of a GH shot Nick. In fact it's made me acutely jealous. :mrgreen:
Orange tips in double figures today,,,, couldn't get near any. :(
Cheers,,, Zonda.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Thanks Zonda - a little heavy on the post-processing....
Hi Charles - well they were there yesterday! As you approach the railway cutting as it cuts the Dyke from Reach, the bank down the left (Burwell) side has a steep path and Blackthorn in blossom, next to taller Hawthorn bushes. This is where they were displaying - I found a just-emerged one which was a poor flyer....
Went to the Dyke at Newmarket today - no Hairstreak but lots of Brimstone, Peacock and the odd Small And GV White. A few Small Heath moths too.
Also lots of ST; caught a couple of ST's displaying - very much like the Peacock, you're right Pete :)
Given the run around (as was he) by a very flirty female - several flights, each time followed by "the one", displaying and flicking wings with antennae. I lost them when they flew over the bushes after about 15mins :( was hoping for an "in cop" shot. Will post when downloaded....
N
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nick. I think that was a "Freudian slip". Common Heath moths, not Small Heath. I saw several today at/near the Burwell cutting.
See my report for the day:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4056#p31739

Jack
Attachments
10-04-18-028-CommonHeath.jpg
10-04-18-028-CommonHeath.jpg (57.78 KiB) Viewed 402 times

Return to “Sightings”