April 2010 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Bioboy

Re: April 2010 Sightings

Post by Bioboy »

Spotted a male Orange-tip today (weather sunny and warm) in a woodland ride at Bookham Common, Surrey (TQ 131 567) - will notify recorder. Also spotted at least 10 Commas, 10 Brimstones and half a dozen Peacocks. Didn't manage shot as he was too active moving along side of track and eventually moved out of sight through dense cover.

Cheers

Rob
55bloke

Post by 55bloke »

Don't you just hate it when the mowers get to work? I've mentioned this before, but there's a meadow behind our house which, for the 1st couple of years after I moved here, was left unmolested and was great for butterfly photography- including the Orange Tip in my avatar. But it's been mowed short for the last 3 years, and I just don't see Orange Tips anymore. Very sad.
Deano

Post by Deano »

Hi all

I saw my first Small White of the year, in our garden today. I think it was a male as it fluttered through, just giving me enough time to identify it. My first of this species last year was on 30 March.

Regards,
Deano
NickB

Post by NickB »

Re: Neil's Bee-fly
My first one this year...
Bee_fly_1_Low_MRC_08_04_2010.jpg
Dark-edged Bee-fly (Bombylius major)
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Did a transect this afternoon at a local site and saw 4 Brimstones, 4 Peacocks and 2 Commas. No Grizzled Skipper at the site (there will be) or from a quick check at Martin Down. Cowslips are on the brink though.

Bill
Attachments
IMG_7020.JPG
IMG_7031.JPG
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Abundance of Peacocks, a few Brimstones and a single Small Tortoiseshell on the hills around Bath today. The Peacocks were very active, spending plenty of time zooming around determinedly and at speed.
NickB

Post by NickB »

55bloke wrote:Don't you just hate it when the mowers get to work? I've mentioned this before, but there's a meadow behind our house which, for the 1st couple of years after I moved here, was left unmolested and was great for butterfly photography- including the Orange Tip in my avatar. But it's been mowed short for the last 3 years, and I just don't see Orange Tips anymore. Very sad.
And the irony is that WE pay for this to happen!
Surely, with the financial crisis we face, spending LESS on nonsensical and unnecessary mowing by local authorities would be a WIN - WIN situation as the wildlife would benefit too! I do believe it is time that we all started to write to our local MPs or prospective MPs and councillors /prospective councillors to point out the waste of resources and real efficiency savings to be gained by NOT mowing all our municipal open-spaces to death! Imagine if local Nature Trusts were given a fraction of the resources our councils spent on "maintenance" to manage these spaces, what a difference that would make!
Rant over!
N
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I hear ya Nick.

A friend has reported sightings (to me) in Hanwell, West London yesterday of a white butterfly (so could be a female Brimstone), something dark (probably a Peacock) and today a small blue butterfly on Holly, so safe to assume it was a Holly Blue! :D

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
IAC

Post by IAC »

Hi all,
A very slow start to the season here compared to last. The last of the snow has melted finally from the hills and Chiffchaffs seem to be everywhere so good news. Comma seem to be doing very well and could be heading for a record breaking season in south east Scotland. Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell are still a little shy 3 and 4 per day. No whites yet. Maybe this weekend if the cloud holds off to the coast..... Oh, and a Bee Fly today also.
Cheers IAC.
Attachments
Small Tortoiseshell again on Butterbur. They do like the Butterbur.
Small Tortoiseshell again on Butterbur. They do like the Butterbur.
Comma sunning itself on a large Butterbur leaf.
Comma sunning itself on a large Butterbur leaf.
Peacock today near Chirnside on Butterbur.
Peacock today near Chirnside on Butterbur.
bogtrotter

Post by bogtrotter »

well the weather has been sunny and warm for the last two days on the allotment-its in leeds-so expectations were high.nothing was observed yesterday the 8/4/10 but today-4 red admirals and 2 peacock butterflies were seen.this is the first time this year that any species has been seen.the weather is set to be fine until the week end so keeping my fingers crossed for some more species.regards to all... michael.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

1 Peacock and 2 Small Tortoiseshells in Greenford Park Cemetery, Greenford, Middlesex between 5.00 and 5.30 this afternoon.

See diary entry for further musings on Small Torts...

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
felix123

Post by felix123 »

Great day today hottest so far about 15-18⁰C ( got sun burn down at the beach :D ) I saw large whites about 5 of them I also saw 3x orange tips, 7x small tortoishells 5x peacocks and 1 comma which was testing some nettles which to lay eggs on. :D
NickB

Post by NickB »

At least the Commas in the Cemetery are OK - they love the warm gravestones to bask on.
Comma_1_low_MRC_09_04_2010.jpg
..also an old Peacock and a couple of Small Tortoiseshell - one pretty pristine but very flighty.
Peacock_1_low_MRC_09_04_2010.jpg
N
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi all,
Lots of Comma and Peacock this week. Brimstone nearly every day. Yesterday saw my first white of the year, Green-veined, and this morning saw my first blue, Holly Blue. :D
Many bee's and bee-flies around. All in my garden.

Cheers
Denise

edit :- Just seen my first Speckled Wood too. :D I love the spring.
adrian riley

Post by adrian riley »

Hi, Gang

Green-veined White in Holt this morning.

Happy bugging

Ade
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

No "Tips" yet... saw first female Brimstone of the year.

Charles

8) 8)
NickB

Post by NickB »

Just back from Fleam Dyke Transect - Beautiful day - not many butterflies actually IN the transect, but lots around generally or in patches of flowers just off the transect route.
One patch had several Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells and male and female Brimstones all actively feeding, fighting and flirting at the same time. Also saw my first, just-emerged, Green Veined White (female, EDIT: On closer inspection of the pics it is in fact a male!) of the year. (Also saw a hare in the bottom of the Dyke, a common lizard basking on the top, with Blackcaps prominent in the Dyke hedges at the Fulbourn end, along with more Bee-flies....).
Yes, Denise, I agree: Spring IS fantastic :D
GV_White_1_Low_FD_10_04_2010.jpg
ST_2_Low_FD_10_04_2010.jpg
Last edited by NickB on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Denise

Post by Denise »

3 really fresh Small White this afternoon running the gauntlet of harassment from several Comma.
A Peacock actually buzzed my dog, and he ran off in a panic. :lol:
I've just been watching a Willow Warbler taking a dip in my bird bath. It's really warm, 18C, and it's been a long time coming.

Denise
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

A "small" white (GV or Small) in flight Heydon south Cambs 10th April + the usual hibernators.

Jack
IAC

Post by IAC »

Hi all,
18oC today 8) WOW......17 Peacock, 13 Small Tortoiseshell, 5 Comma. Still waiting for any type of white butterfly....however....considering there is still snow on the hills, this aint a bad start. :D

Cheers,
IAC.

Return to “Sightings”