Large Tortoiseshell

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Large Tortoiseshell

Post by Padfield »

After what seemed to be an alarming dip last year, large tortoiseshells seem to be putting on a good show this year in France and Switzerland. I've already seen more individuals than I saw in the whole of last spring and I note that Tim Cowles, Matt Rowlings and Elaine (on these forums) have all been seeing them.

This is the best time of year to observe this species. They emerge from hibernation at about the same time as small tortoiseshells and remain active for a month or so, defending territories on tracks or tree trunks, chasing each other and swooping around the canopy at woodland edges. They cannot be mistaken for small tortoiseshells in flight. Small tortoiseshells motor around in determined fashion, with more flapping than gliding, though they do glide regularly between flapping sessions. Large tortoiseshells swoop and glide magnificently, and when they are moving in a straight line it is noticeable that the glide phase is dominant, with flapping only brief. In general they look substantially bigger than small tortoiseshells. They frequently head up to the treetops and drop and glide up there, their markings apparent through the wings against the sky.

Last year's UK visitors might well be up and about at the moment.

Here are some I have photographed this year:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Matsukaze

Re: Large Tortoiseshell

Post by Matsukaze »

Guy, how long does the flight season last? I'll be in the Paris area over Easter and it had crossed my mind that large tortoiseshells might still be on the wing then.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I would certainly expect them to be on the wing then. Easter is 4th April isn't it, this year? Judging by my Swiss ones they might be looking a bit threadbare by then, though!

Guy
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Guy,

Would they be back on the wing in France by mid to late June? I'd love to see one!

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Lee,

I'm afraid that's not a good time for them! I don't think I've ever seen a large tortoiseshell in June. July is by far the commonest summer month, and it is not unreasonable to look out for them in August (particularly those in 'dispersal' mode). But in general, individual large tortoiseshells are not on the wing for long in the summer. They go into hibernation quite rapidly and do their interesting stuff in the spring.

If I were you I wouldn't hold out any big hopes for mid-to-late June. Sorry!

Guy
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Guy. Ah well, maybe next year!

Cheers

Lee
johnrowell

Post by johnrowell »

Three large Tortoishell seen by me at Woodhouse Copse, Whippingham, Isle of Wight on 7.3.11
I have had previous sightings at this location in 2006, 2007 and 2008, but this is the earliest date I have seen them
Two other observers saw a singleton on 14.3.11 and 17.3.11
Altough I have looked almost daily, I have not seen anymore myself.

John Rowell
NickB

Post by NickB »

Interesting news, John, to hear that they have overwintered in the UK and maybe bred here too. Another sign of climate change, do you think?
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Lee Hurrell wrote:Hi Guy,

Would they be back on the wing in France by mid to late June? I'd love to see one!

Cheers

Lee
I was in the Luberon Valley in Provence mid-June last year and the Large Tortoiseshells were on the wing then. They are an awesome sight to see on the wing defending their terrotories. Unfortunately they were rarely anything but on the wing so no photos :( If they were on the ground they would generally take flight before I got within about 20m of them. The only one I did get close to had damaged wings :(

They seem far more approachable in early April but often a bit battered. A fresh emerged one in june just lights up.

Have to add that they weren't seen for very many days. Maybe soon after emergence they disperse or spend most of their time high in the trees?
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi John

Ooh that is good news :D

I'll be in Isere, Rhone Alpes mid to late June this year!

Thanks

Lee

Return to “General”