March 2010 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
NickB

Re: March 2010 Sightings

Post by NickB »

Nice ones everyone!
Checking my records, last year on the 15th March I photographed 2 Comma, 1 Peacock, I Small Tort and 1 Brimstone...and a Green Woodpecker!
Hope we catch up soon.....
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
sami

Post by sami »

Hi all - saw my first butterflies of the year yesterday, no fewer that FIVE brimstones on Epsom common! still no sign of a speckled wood tho, thought that might be my first.

On a wierder note, I am 99.9% sure I saw two small (sized) skippers yesterday on the same common - it's my local patch and I'm often there but didn't expect to see any skippers for quite a few months yet... my boyfriend has put doubt in my mind and is convinced they were moths but can't think what kind they could be. To me, they were skippers, both were on different parts of the common, I watched both through binoculars for some minutes, one came to within 4 feet of me.

Is this possible at this time of the year? does anyone else have early skipper sightings, especially in Surrey?
Please sponsor us on our honeymoon adventure raising money for Butterfly Conservation!
www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk
:)
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

sami wrote:Hi all - saw my first butterflies of the year yesterday, no fewer that FIVE brimstones on Epsom common! still no sign of a speckled wood tho, thought that might be my first.

On a wierder note, I am 99.9% sure I saw two small (sized) skippers yesterday on the same common - it's my local patch and I'm often there but didn't expect to see any skippers for quite a few months yet... my boyfriend has put doubt in my mind and is convinced they were moths but can't think what kind they could be. To me, they were skippers, both were on different parts of the common, I watched both through binoculars for some minutes, one came to within 4 feet of me.

Is this possible at this time of the year? does anyone else have early skipper sightings, especially in Surrey?
Hi Sami,

I'm afraid it's unlikely that what you saw were skippers. Not sure what they may have been though! A rough indication of flight times can be found here:

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/flightti ... liest2.php

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

sami wrote:Hi all - saw my first butterflies of the year yesterday, no fewer that FIVE brimstones on Epsom common! still no sign of a speckled wood tho, thought that might be my first.

Hi Sami, you may wish to check this if they were moths you saw, not butterflies: http://back-garden-moths.co.uk/communit ... p?flightID ut gives you a list of what moths and butterflies you should see this time of year
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
sami

Post by sami »

thanks for the help, I've checked the websites but can't find any moths similar to what I saw. It's becoming a point of heavy discussion in my house after just one day - they were just so orange and 'skipper-shaped' that I can't think of anything else they could be! I'll have to just return to my patch, this time with a witness... how frustrating! :?
Please sponsor us on our honeymoon adventure raising money for Butterfly Conservation!
NickB

Post by NickB »

sami wrote:... they were just so orange and 'skipper-shaped' that I can't think of anything else they could be! I'll have to just return to my patch, this time with a witness... how frustrating! :?
......as well as a witness, a camera would be useful. Any type of shot and the experts here will give chapter and verse, I'm sure. Have to agree though, never see a skipper usually until the start of May and then they are the Dingy and Grizzled, not ones which could be classed as orange.

One male Brimstone at lunchtime today. #2 for the year...
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
sami

Post by sami »

had a camera out with me today - was only on the common for about 2 hours but got 1xcomma and 2xbrimstone, photos of both, 3 photos of an exhibitionist Brimstone on my finger!!! but no little orange skippers. May well become urban legend, but i'll be out there every day from now on trying to get that shot! :D I'm on 2 species as well now. (and a half?!)
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Saw my first butterfly today :) Freshly emerged female large white in my garden in Mountstewart, Co Down, Northern Ireland, nice sight. Got a photo
Female Large White
Female Large White
Large White Head
Large White Head
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Sami,
Perfectly fitting your description (and just about the only option at this time of year) is the Orange Underwing (Archiearis parthenias). These first came on the wing a couple of days before your sighting. If you look at a photograph, don't be misled by the markings. In flight these 'blur' to give an overall orange appearance. They fly, in sunshine, (seldom settling, sometimes quite high) in woods and over commons where there is plenty of silver birch. I've heard reports of them out on Bookham Common, only a few miles away, over the last couple of days. It's far too early for the 'golden skippers' to be around yet.
Neil
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Walked two of my local sites this afternoon to see what was about. At Woldingham Woods, Surrey there were at least 6 male Brimstone and something else much darker (possibly a Peacock). Over at Quarry Hangers, Chaldon, all I could find was a very lively Small Tortioseshell. I was also cheered to see the first flowers of Dog Violet and to hear a Skylark singing it's heart out.

Vince
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

My first butterflies of the year today at Horsenden Hill, Middlesex. :D

2 Red Admirals and a Comma who wasn't hanging about for a photo. The second Red Admiral was in the same location as the first one near the top as I made my way back.

Also saw (I think) a Kestrel and a Sparrowhawk together, a pair of Mistle Thrushes and a Nuthatch.
Red Admiral 1
Red Admiral 1
Red Admiral 2
Red Admiral 2
Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I'm getting withdrawls alreadyafter only 2 days. Brimstones and Red admirals in the garden on sunday, the same outside work yesterday and no butterflies seen today. never ceases to amaze me how such a simple thing like seeing butterflies can lift the spirits. :D

Chris
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

You're right there Chris, it made my day today! :D

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
IAC

Post by IAC »

Hi all,
A beautiful spring day today, 13.5 oC , so good news. By the river Whiteadder today 2 Small Tortoiseshell deperately seeking nectar. One finding a Dandelion and the other a Snowdrop. Also 1 Peacock supping minerals from a muddy puddle. No sign of the Comma today , however it is early yet. We could almost do with a little rain here as it is very dry. Not much in the way of nectaring plants realy, though Butterbur is pushing through the ground and Coltsfoot is just in flower now.

Cheers Iain.
Attachments
Small Tortoiseshell Snowdrop.jpg
Small Tortoiseshell 17th March.jpg
sami

Post by sami »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Hi Sami,
Perfectly fitting your description (and just about the only option at this time of year) is the Orange Underwing (Archiearis parthenias). These first came on the wing a couple of days before your sighting. If you look at a photograph, don't be misled by the markings. In flight these 'blur' to give an overall orange appearance. They fly, in sunshine, (seldom settling, sometimes quite high) in woods and over commons where there is plenty of silver birch. I've heard reports of them out on Bookham Common, only a few miles away, over the last couple of days. It's far too early for the 'golden skippers' to be around yet.
Neil
Had a look at some photos of Orange Underwings today- reckon you're right. Saw three more today on the common and got a better look. Silver birch everywhere too!
Got Small Tort today for number 3... :D
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hi All, this is my first time here and my first ever post on this site!

I'm Sami's boyfriend. I can only apologise for her mega-early "skipper" sightings, she's utterly lovable and ultra keen but definitely prone to moments of pure insanity (and trust me, I should know!!!) Epsom Common has a healthy population of Orange Underwings and doubtless these are the "skippers" in question, as already suggested by several members. I'm sending her out with my butterfly net henceforth, lol!

My own 2010 butterfly sightings are a bit disappointing so far...a single Brown Hairstreak egg on Ashtead Common despite a good coupla hours searching, a mystery shadow across a wall and a rapidly moving silhouette against a bright sky last week followed by a probable Small Tort spotted whilst driving through heavy traffic in Clapham on 15th...in a nutshell ZERO species. I'm looking forward to a proper sighting real soooooooon!!!

Adios.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Gibster,
Welcome to the site. The important thing is that Sami's so keen - even if she's bonkers! :lol: I sometimes wish I could turn the clock back and experience that wonderful period of accelerated discovery all over again (although you NEVER stop learning). My other half is a novice, but she's thrown herself in at the deep end and is rapidly becoming very knowledgeable. She's quite proud of seeing 40 species in her first year - and quite right too! Just one thing causes me concern. I found out at the end of last season that she's been running what she calls her 'rip-off tours'. She comes on my guided walks, absorbs all the information, then regurgitates it, verbatim, to parents, friends and any interested parties she comes across in my absence. Now that's cheeky. :roll:
Neil
sami

Post by sami »

I leave the forum for a few hours and my credibility is called into question - but I believe it's 3-nil, Gibster, so who's the novice? :lol:
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Sounds like Gibster's 'going down' :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Gibster's going down??? Hardly, today I've scored Purple Hairstreak eggs on Epsom Common...which combined with Ashtead's Brown Hairstreak egg means I'm already halfway to a very, very small omelette! Still no adults of any species yet though.

I should make it clear that Sami is ultra keen and last season picked out more than I did and has taken some SUPERB pics with her fairly basic clickamatic digital camera. Considering how 'new' to butterflies she is, I'm genuinely amazed how much info and field ability she has mastered. (Other than the odd skipper moment, tee hee - just kiddin' Baby! )
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.

Return to “Sightings”