"Christmas cracker" Ring-lights

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

"Christmas cracker" Ring-lights

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Ok Guys (and Gals),
I note from Pete's blog, that like many others, he uses a ring-flash to illuminate butterfly eggs etc. for ultra close-up shots. At the risk of being laughed out of Town, does anyone have any positive views on the cheap ring-lights which are currently being sold?.. The ones I mean are the LED versions which provide a continuous light, rather than an actual flash of light. I appreciate that they won't provide a massive amount of light (so not much cop for portraits etc.) and that some even state in the instructions that they should not be used for more than 10 minutes at a time to prevent over-heating :shock: , but given this proviso, would they actually be any good for extreme close-up work? I don't really want to fork out on a relatively expensive "named" ring-flash for the few occasions I would use one, but might be tempted to give a cheaper version a trial. I can actually hear Gruditch and Gwenhwyfar choking on their puddings as I type this :lol: , but whaddayareckon?

... OK... I'll get my coat :?

Trev
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Re: "Christmas cracker" Ring-lights

Post by Gruditch »

We're not laughing Trev, honest. :wink:

I do know what you mean though, its very tempting to buy the cheaper product when its only going to get very limited use. If it does the job, and its only forty quid, I would go for it.

Regards Gruditch
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: "Christmas cracker" Ring-lights

Post by Pete Eeles »

Trev Sawyer wrote:Ok Guys (and Gals),
I note from Pete's blog, that like many others, he uses a ring-flash to illuminate butterfly eggs etc. for ultra close-up shots. At the risk of being laughed out of Town, does anyone have any positive views on the cheap ring-lights which are currently being sold?.. The ones I mean are the LED versions which provide a continuous light, rather than an actual flash of light. I appreciate that they won't provide a massive amount of light (so not much cop for portraits etc.) and that some even state in the instructions that they should not be used for more than 10 minutes at a time to prevent over-heating :shock: , but given this proviso, would they actually be any good for extreme close-up work? I don't really want to fork out on a relatively expensive "named" ring-flash for the few occasions I would use one, but might be tempted to give a cheaper version a trial. I can actually hear Gruditch and Gwenhwyfar choking on their puddings as I type this :lol: , but whaddayareckon?

... OK... I'll get my coat :?

Trev
A few years ago, I figured that ring flash was the way to go and bought the Canon MR-14EX. However, more recently, I've been using this off-camera to get the desired effect (as hinted at in my blog) since having it mounted directly on the end of the lens gave shadows that were way too harsh. The net result - is that this is now up for sale on eBay and I'm getting a Canon Speedlight flash to replace it! Another factor was that the ring flash is designed for a lens with a 58mm filter thread (e.g. Canon 100mm lens, or Sigma 105mm lens), and not the 72mm thread that I have on my preferred 150mm Sigma macro :)

I've also come to the conclusion that the most significant factor for super-macro photography (if that's the correct term!) is ensuring that you have a highly stable platform since the slightest movement will result in soft images. Again, the collar on the 150mm lens is a major bonus (I've discovered) in getting this stability.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com

Return to “Photography”