Getting Warmer?

Discussion forum for discussing the weather, both now and predicted!
felix123

Getting Warmer?

Post by felix123 »

Even know there is rain and strong winds, here on the south coast we have gone into double figures (10-11oc).

Getting warmer? Yay march!

Thanks,

Felix
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Re: Getting Warmer?

Post by Gruditch »

My Koi Carp are usually a good indicator of the weather to come. I think it may be something to do with the air pressure, but they seem to know a couple of days in advance, when the temp is going up or down.

They have been active for a week now, and started begging for food a few days ago. Last year they never started moving till about mid March. It could well turn cold again, forcing them back into inactivity, but I don't think so. :D

Regards Gruditch
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I'm not aure that's a perfect indicator... I was feeding ours the weekend before the last lot of snow we had!
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

It is starting t get warmer, 7C today here, but snow is suposed to come by end of week! I suspect spring should truely begin in the middle of march. I wouldn't say finding moths is an indicator of spring either. A couple of weeks ag I trapped 32 chestnut then it snowed, today I caught 45 chestnut and quite a few other moths, even though last light felt like -3C, then snow is predicted for end of week.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

FISHiEE wrote:I'm not aure that's a perfect indicator... I was feeding ours the weekend before the last lot of snow we had!
A lot also depends on the make up of your pond, ie, a small or shallow body of water will quickly heat up after a couple warm days, triggering activity. My Fish become active before the water warmed up, and their activity isn't like the odd lethargic mid winter swim, they are moving for good. :D

Regards Gruditch
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Sorry. I'm not wealthy enough to have my own estate lake... just a humble garden pond ;)
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Don't be sarcastic Fishiee :lol:

If your keeping Koi a humble garden pond should be at least 2000 gallons, pretty cruel otherwise. My pond needs to be of a good size, as some of my largest fish well over 2ft.

Regards Gruditch
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

There's definitely an air change over Europe at the moment and in Switzerland at least there are signs of new life everywhere. Here are just a few from today and yesterday:

Primroses coming through

Sallow bursting out

Honey bees getting out of bed

Small tortoiseshells (four sparring and sunning today, at 1000m)

There's still bad weather to come, all over Europe, but the lengthening days and increased warmth have started to have their effect!!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
felix123

Post by felix123 »

That Sallow looks very much like the Pussy Willow we have in are garden. :?

Also I have heard that butterflies can feed on the Pussy Willow catkins. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone,

Felix

picture from google: http://www.isledegrande.com/giimages15/ ... up4-06.jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It is indeed pussy willow, Felix. First the catkins come out white and fluffy, then they flower fully and are covered in yellow. That is when the bees and butterflies really enjoy them. Small tortoiseshells and commas are great sallow feeders, and large tortoiseshells too, though I shouldn't sit around waiting for one of those to turn up! The butterflies often feed high up in the tree, when you need binoculars to watch them, but they do come down when the lower branches are in full flower too.

Guy
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Gruditch wrote:My Koi Carp are usually a good indicator of the weather to come. I think it may be something to do with the air pressure, but they seem to know a couple of days in advance, when the temp is going up or down.
In summer, water near the surface of ponds is warmer than water below, because warm water rises (as well as the fact it is heated from the top). But in winter, as I'm sure you know anyway, there is a thermal inversion. Water has its maximum density at about 4°C and becomes less dense at temperatures below this, so colder water rises and warmer water sinks. At the end of winter, there is a mixing up of waters as the temperature rises through the critical 4°C. I would think your koi might easily be sensitive to this.

As for predicting the temperatures to come, though, that's really clever!

Guy
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Was 10C today, first time I ever felt warm when out for a walk. Went along the big burch/pine forest about a mile from my house and noticed definate signs of spring. Shouldn't be too long before I see a butterfly too if I look in apple Orchard near my house (one of the first places I usually see a butterfly)
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Yeah a pond has to be a minimum of 4ft deep to get the levels you refer to Guy, and a good koi pond needs to be at least that.

As for the predicting weather, I remember the subject being knocked about on a Koi keeping forum I used to use. I think in the end the consciences of opinion was that the koi must be able to sense a change in the air pressure on pond.

Regards Gruditch
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

hi gary,

on the subject of koi, what temperature should the water have reached during the day, in spring, before feeding with pellets should commence?
or does it depend on the sort of pellets?
i have a vague idea that they can't digest certain foods like protien below certain temperatures, is this right?

gary.
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Actually ours are mostly humble ghost carp and I don't think top 18". I dunno gallons, but the pond is approx 12ft x 6ft and max depth maybe 3ft. Deep enough for the heron not to trouble them in winter at least though a kingfisher had a go at the smaller fish one winter when the rivers were coloured up for a long time :) The carp have grown somewhat since we introduced them as fingerlings many moons ago. There's also a couple of tench and chub I caught and brought home plus the odd rudd livebait that I felt sorry for at the end of a winter :)

As for air pressure, a lot of fishermen swear by air pressure/moon phases etc. as a way of determining when the fish will be on the feed and what will be good and bad fishing days. I never used to pay too much attention to it myself, although in autumn some of the best piking days when there was a big low, gales etc. More probably because it was a bit milder at night than anything else though.

I know fish can be pretty smart though. I read a while ago that ahead of some of the big hurricanes of recent years down around florida etc. that researchers had noticed all the sharks in the area would just vanish a few days ahead of a big storm as they 'knew' something was coming. The Florida Keys are full of sharks and it's very shallow water, so a big storm would really cause them some problems. Literally thousands of sharks would just disappear for a week or so until the storms had passed.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Hoping to see my first butterfly of the year soon; as Guy says, signs of life speeding up as the sun gets higher.
Crocuses yesterday...
Crocus_4_low_MRC_27_02_2010.jpg
Crocus_6_low_MRC_27_02_2010.jpg
Practising in anticipation with my 200mm macro and 1.4TC.....

(and I've only got frogs and newts in my pond...)
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

hehe I have another pond for those... fish and other wildlife don't tend to mik well in small ponds... I keep saying we should just dig up the garden and have a big lake... with an island for butterflies of course :)
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Lens looks good Nick :wink:

Along with the bee's, ladybirds are becoming active, I saw thousands of Harlequins last Autumn, but not seen a single one of them yet.

Gary I just feed mine on bread, preferable wheatgerm this time of year.
FISHiEE wrote:fish and other wildlife don't tend to mik well in small ponds...
I usually have to relocate a few frogs, not a one this year. :( I think they have had a bad time of late. I've seen many dead frogs in ponds that suffocated due to the ice. This wasn't helped by Professor Numpty on the news, telling the public that the pond plants will provide enough oxygen and ponds are best left alone. I think he forgot about the amphibians and the fact that nearly all pond plants die back in the winter. :roll:

Regards Gruditch
NickB

Post by NickB »

FISHiEE wrote:... I keep saying we should just dig up the garden and have a big lake... with an island for butterflies of course :)
Totally agree!
I would go so far as a Pool Tax :mrgreen:
(for those that have no pond!)
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
felix123

Post by felix123 »

I heard that if you put a float in the water(at a reasonable size) when the pond freezes over then just pull it out and it will give the creatures oxygen.

Thanks for the replies,

Felix

Return to “Weather”