Is this butterfly OK?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
theslider

Is this butterfly OK?

Post by theslider »

I know really nothing about butterflies so I'm looking for some expert help!

About three weeks ago a butterfly appeared on my bedroom windowsill (inside). I don't know what butterfly it is but I have posted a photo to Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/13882468@N ... 0/sizes/o/.

Are buuterflies supposed to hibernate? Or even die over winter? I have no idea! However, this one is very much alive.

My question is, what should I do with it for the best? A friend of mine suggested feeding it with a solution of sugar and water which I have tried and it seemed to be feeding from it - at least it was stood next to the solution which I carefully dripped near it. Should I be doing this or should I just leave it alone? Is it likely to survive?

Thanks for any help.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Is this butterfly OK?

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Slider,

That's a Small Tortoiseshell, one of our native species that does indeed hibernate as an adult butterfly.

It would have been looking for somewhere out of the way like a shed to hibernate until spring.

The best thing you could do is to carefully place it somewhere like a shed or an out house out of the way of frost, freezing danger or predators and late nature take its course. It will wake up naturally when the average temperature rises.

I think you could also put it in a container in the fridge until a sunny day in early spring but someone else may comment on that as I have never tried it...I presume you would take it out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature before releasing it in the garden.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
theslider

Post by theslider »

Many thanks for that, Lee. I don't have a shed or outhouse - but how about if I put it in a shoe box or similar in a coll room in the house where it won't be disturbed until the spring.

A friend told me that you shouldn't pick butterflies up a this damages their wings (or something!). Is that not so?
theslider

Post by theslider »

I meant "cool room" obviously :-)
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

theslider wrote:
A friend told me that you shouldn't pick butterflies up a this damages their wings (or something!). Is that not so?
Your friend is right... do not touch the wings as they are easily damaged. The butterfly may climb onto your finger if you gently nudge it. Or you could slide a piece of cardboard underneath & lift it

Good luck

Charles

:D
theslider

Post by theslider »

Thanks, Charles. I'll try and gently coax it into a cardboard box and put it in a cool room until spring. I hope it survives!
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Good luck, let us know what happens in the Spring!

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
felix123

Post by felix123 »

Small Tortoiseshells are not just the only butterfly that hibernates other butterflies do which include: Red admiral,Peacock and Brimstone.

Hope you learnt a bit there, :)

Felix

Return to “General”