Butterfly hopes for 2010 ( & happy new year )

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Paul

Butterfly hopes for 2010 ( & happy new year )

Post by Paul »

Just wondered what sort of Butterfly year we are all hoping for in 2010... any hopes or plans?

South West USA in late March for me... not sure what if anything will be flying.. but will find out for sure! :P Also may just grasp another European opportunity. :wink: In this country, Large Blues, White Admirals, Hairstreaks and maybe Silver Spotted Skippers depending on the weather.
Hope the weather produces a better year and further recovery from 2007s troubles, has been slow this far North.

Happy New Year! :D
Dave McCormick

Re: Butterfly hopes for 2010 ( & happy new year )

Post by Dave McCormick »

Well, happy new year (soon) to all too! As for my plans, I am not sure...

I just built up myself 3 moth traps a dual 30 watt acintic for garden, a 6 watt one I had for a while and another one I am currently working on, so hoping to find pine beauties in the pine forest about a mile from my house. Other than that, looking for Emperor moths at my greaut aunts bog as I know they are there, just never seen adults yet.

As for butterflies I don't know. Looking for orange-tips again, hoping to get a better photo in 2010 of them. Also hoping that next year is better for Holly blues here as I only saw 3 the whole year, which was kinda a bummer. Hoping for another trip to Killard Point NNR in spring, possibly March/April to see the orchids and the large numbers of butterflies that are supposed tyo be there. Last time I went in August, it rained half the day and nothing but 200+ Meadow Browns, 3-4 Common Blues and a few whites and one Painted lady was there, hopefully I can find more next year and come on a good day.

Also definatly want to try and see a Silver Washed fritillary this year, its one of the few in Northern Ireland I have not seen, others are Dingy Skipper and Purple Hairstreak and Wall Brown.

Good luck in US Paul! Not sure what would be flying at that time of year.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Happy New Year to everyone

In 2010 i intend to

i) win at least one of the photo competitions here

ii) find one of those silver Small Coppers

iii) have the Comma renamed as the Quotation Mark

C

:lol: :lol:
Susie

Post by Susie »

If next year is as good as this year has been I will be very happy. :D
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

This coming season i want to photograph all of my local blue species, a Camberwell beauty, a White Admiral, all the English hairstreaks, and frits. What do you reckon on my chances? :roll:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

I would like to get a decent picture of a fresh White Admiral and an SWF, see a Brown Hairsteak, but most of all to walk through a Meadow in the Picos and be surrounded by Butterflies and day flying Moths......Fantastic, Roll on the Summer. Steve.
Attachments
IMG_6191 (Small).JPG
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

win at least one of the photo competitions here
Yesh, I gotta do that also!
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro

Return to “General”