Not Lepidoptera (Steam Engines!)

Discussion forum for sightings.
Neil Hulme

Not Lepidoptera (Steam Engines!)

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,
I suspect that we've probably got one or two members that have fond memories of the days of steam, so while we're suffering a lack of butterflies (and we have had cars!), I thought I'd post this fine specimen which was spotted near Arundel yesterday. It's the A4 Pacific 'Bittern' crossing the River Arun at Ford. I didn't have my camera with me, but luckily I managed to steal the girlfriend's Cybershot. I wish all winter days looked like this one!
Neil
A4 Pacific 'Bittern'.jpg
A4 Pacific 'Bittern'.jpg (251.84 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
eccles

Re: Not Lepidoptera (Steam Engines!)

Post by eccles »

Great pic. Is that the same class as the Mallard?
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Mike. Yes it's one of Mallard's stablemates, which still holds the world land speed record for steam. 126 or 125 mph, whoever you believe - the important thing being that it narrowly beat the German record of 124.5 mph :lol: I think there are 3 in working order and a couple more (including Mallard) are museum pieces. I was rather pleased with the shot as it's timeless, without anything in the frame to indicate in which decade it was taken.
Neil
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

If you’re a bloke over a certain age, it’s heavily odds-on you’ll go misty eyed at the mention of A4 Pacific “streaks”, your brain will turn to mush, and you’ll drift back to the mid-50s. Like I’ve just done. We used to cycle, aged 9, six miles from Borehamwood to East Barnet for a full Saturday’s train spotting, as East Barnet was on the King’s Cross LNER route, for the sight of 100 tons of A4 streak thundering through the station at high speed making everything shake, with deafening noise and shrouding the whole place in steam and smoke. Sir Nigel Gresley was the designer and one was named after him (60007), but it is strange I think that half were named after birds. Here is a YouTube link to 60007: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YF9Ma-pVm ... re=related

Borehamwood was on the St Pancras LMS line on which most of the express trains were pulled by Jubilee class locos, many with exotic names of parts of the Empire or famous battles. We also used to cycle six miles to Bushey & Oxhey for the Euston LMS line, the highlight being the Princess Coronation class, with a unique deep red livery. We used to stand as close to the edge of the platform as we could. All for a 2d platform ticket. Or we would go to King's Cross or Euston mainline stations and the engine drivers would let us come up into the cab.

I think times may have changed a bit since then.
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

Neil, I think you've started the least popular thread ever!
Managed to spot Tangmere pulling the Sussex Belle through London today :)
Tangmere and Battersea copysm.JPG
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Alexander,
Shame about the railings on the bridge - great composition!
Neil
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Managed to spot Tangmere pulling the Sussex Belle through London today :)
Cor! It's got four funnels. :wink:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

I can remember sticking my head out of the window several times, and getting my eyes full of smuts. Also, leaving a window open when going through the Ridgeway tunnel. I can remember an engine letting of steam suddenly in the station, and my little sister wetting herself. The nostalgia for me comes with the sounds, and the smells. Big old greasy, smokey engines, with loud whistles and puffs. The days of short trousers and spreed inside thighs during harder winters, and being bullied by Dumbo Rogers, because he couldn't live with his cab door ears. Aah! those were the days. I think i'm the new Betjeman. :lol:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Congratulations to all for spotting some very special trains...
All those in the photos so far posted seem to actually be moving!!! :shock:

Trev

PS: Alex - I'd like to second Neil's comments about your shot. You have an artist's eye - Brilliant.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

johnb

Post by johnb »

These where all running on the East coast main line near Huntingdon this month.

Bittern
Sir Nigel Gresley
Duchess of Sutherland
I hope you enjoy the photos
Johnb
Attachments
IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_1199.JPG
IMG_1060.JPG
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

A bit of a grey day, but still fairly happy with this shot, only wish I had thought of using the polarising filter to take the glare off the water. I'll remember for next time.

Regards Gruditch
Train 800 5.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Not off topic at all for a butterfly group.

Trackside fires caused by sparks apparently kept the rank vegetation in check and in some situations produced ideal butterfly habitat. As a youngster I used to love to see the semi-regular fires on a nearby (now dismantled) railway. One summer’s afternoon the fire spread to the adjacent corn field. Exciting indeed!

And yes, there was occasionally another minor form of excitement in the early 1940’s. I lived in Great Yarmouth and German aircraft would attack the small naval base - they frequently missed their targets. But railway embankment fires were much more fun in the eyes of a four year old :!: !

Jack

Return to “Sightings”