Butterfly from spain

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
roundwood123

Butterfly from spain

Post by roundwood123 »

Here is a pic of a butterfly from the Bilbao area of Spain i visited in the summer, i think its a Marbled Skipper.Image
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Looking at "Butterflies of Europe" by Tristan Lafranchis, I'd also go with Marbled Skipper.

Cheers,

- Pete
martin bevan

butterflies from spain

Post by martin bevan »

hello roundwood 123 how do you find the area around bilbao. i go every year whale watching in august and spend four hour walking around the hill looking for birds and butterflies. i was think of going early next year and trying to see more butterflies . my be july and look for diffrent butttflies.when did you take the photo because i have not seen marbled skipper.cheers
Martin Bevan
roundwood123

butterfly from spain

Post by roundwood123 »

Hi Martin,
I to did the whale watching trip and that is where the photo came from, we also saw a short tailed blue and other common species whilst doing the walk, we went in mid August and it was great i would reccomend it to anyone who has a love of all things wild.
I am of to Portugal in late March and i hope to find some more new butterfly species if its not to early in the year.

Steve Rolls
martin bevan

butterflys from spain

Post by martin bevan »

hi roundwood123 yes it a great trip and lots to see. i wishes the ferry was there a litte bit longer. because it alway same to be fog when docking and when you got to go back for the ferry all the buttterfles same to come to life. we had long tailed blue and adonis blue and last year we had tree grayling and geranium bronze.did you see much from the ferry.
Martin Bevan
roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

Hi Martin,
the ferry trip was a bit of a let down really i was hoping to see whales a bit closer than a mile or so, but thats the luck of the draw some trips you see lots close up and others you can see very little, i saw lots of dolphins,shearwaters, skua"s, gulls and quick glimpses of cuviers beaked whales [2] fin whales [lots] and a possible humpback which was on the horizon, on the walk i had horned dung beetle, bloody nosed beetle, red backed shrike, melodious warbler and zitting cisticola and we also had a tree grayling.
martin bevan

butterflys from spain

Post by martin bevan »

hello roundwood123 we had lots shearwater and 4 skua and sabines gull and we had close veiws of pilot whales and 1 female cuvier,sbeaked whale.there was report of scarce swallowtail but sadly not by me and my friends. we have gone the last three years and i will go every year now. it great trip and you do not no what you are going see.cheers
Martin Bevan

Return to “Overseas”