Echium fastuosum

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Susie

Echium fastuosum

Post by Susie »

Has anyone grown an echiumn fastuosum? Was it good for attracting insects?
geniculata

Re: Echium fastuosum

Post by geniculata »

hi susie,

are you intending to grow it all year round planted in the garden? or in a pot brought under protection for the winter?
ive grown wildpretii and pininana before but although the bees liked them i can't say i noticed any butterflies on them.
candicans( fastuosum ) would not be as hardy as either of these and i lost both of mine in winters of not exeptionally low temps.

my sister has grown it in southern spain very successfully and emailed me a pic that ive attached here of a scarce swallowtail on hers, so there is hope for us back in blighty! :lol:

gary.
Attachments
scarce swallowtail on echium candicans (fastuosum)
scarce swallowtail on echium candicans (fastuosum)
Last edited by geniculata on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Susie

Post by Susie »

That's a beautiful photo, Gary. Shame I can't get the swallowtails here. lol.

I bought the echium back in the summer from the Eden Project and have kept it in a pot as I knew it was frost tender and it is currently in the kitchen and will probably stay there until next May. I primarily had bees being attracted to it in mind but if I can get butterflies too then that is a bonus. :D
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

hope it develops in to a nice shrub for you susie,

given enough root space they grow into a pretty spectacular and large spreading shrub, well my sisters did!
its mainly the winter wet with the combination of a couple of sharp frosts that seems to put paid to the half hardy echiums like this one, if you can keep it dryer it will take a lower temp.

good luck with yours gary. :D

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”