Discussion forum for sightings.
Susie

Re: Queen of Spain Fritillaries in Sussex

Post by Susie »

Did you find any, Danny?
Danny

Post by Danny »

No. There were many eyes all searching, the weather was perfectamundo..but I was unsucessful. No lifetime tick. No emotional moment. Just a sad and worthless shadow of a man.

Danny
Susie

Post by Susie »

Oh, Danny, you're making me sad!!!! :(
Danny

Post by Danny »

Shoulders haunched..head hung low..arms all floppy (bit like an orangutan)..whilst other butterfliers taut me, laughing and pointing at me : "Look at that pathetic little fat bloke over there, calls himself a butterfly person when he can't even spot a Queen of Spain Fritillary in his own county"..

My daughter said "Don't worry Danny (she calls me Danny - which is a bit weird I'll grant you that) it's only a butterfly". If only she knew. All I will be able to talk about in the years to come will be about the day I went to Chichester and didn't see a Queen Of Spain Frit...it's not quite the same as like...well...seeing it. Bit like two years ago when I *didn't* see a Camberwell Beauty in Pulborough Brooks.

Should I die in some horrendous pile up or a bizarre agricultural accident..I shall die without having seen a QOS Fritillary.

Sigh.

Danny
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

What? You mean you've never seen a Queen of Spain fritillary in Britain, Danny? You're pathetic. Quite useless. We should have some system for identifying people like you on these forums.

Guy

PS - I've never seen a QoS in Britain either
PPS - when you finally see one, you'll tell of the day you didn't with pride and nostalgia! :)
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

And remember Danny..... Jasmine and I have increased the penalty fee for 'bad words' from £5 to £7.50 :lol: Unfortunately it appears the show is over for this season, but I'm sure you'll get other opportunities in the next year or two. I'll miss the handsome devils - and the daily get-togethers down there. Susie....Steve sends his apologies for not recognising you 'glammed up' at AES! From reading the AES report I have some regrets about not going, but I was determined to find a female Queen egg-laying :(
Neil
Susie

Post by Susie »

Your dedication to the cause does you proud, Kipper. :D It always did have to come to an end but what an amazing memory to have.

I think Steve meant, not as scruffy as Monday, rather than glammed up. :lol: I hope to bump into Steve next year at Southwater again when the Emperors are around, if not sooner, I couldn't ask to meet a more charming chap.

Fingers crossed that the female QofS has completed her egg laying for this year and that they over winter. Then it will be back to the site early summer to see the next lot. Your time will come, Danny, fingers crossed. :D
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Don't fret Danny, i've been all over my county, and not seen loads. I wont list them, and bore you all to tears.
PS I call my mum by her christian name too. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I just think thank God one didn't appear *after* I'd left..how bad would that have been?

Danny
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Like a number of others we spent over two hours searching the site yesterday in the middle of the day and early afternoon, without success. The weather was ideal so unless anyone knows better I think that may be it for this year. Butterfly numbers were very low with a Clouded Yellow probably the best.
Its sounds like I saw Danny wandering around looking depressed, although his two girls were actually well behaved sitting waiting for the pinic bag.

Dave

Return to “Sightings”