October 2009 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
xmilehigh

Re: October 2009 Sightings

Post by xmilehigh »

Great sighting Vince.

I was at Slimbridge WWT on Monday and saw a very brief glimpse of what I thought was a SW Fritillary but quickly dismissed it given the time of year and put it down as Painted Lady. But having seen the pics posted by Vince I'm now second guessing myself, I wonder :shock:

Here's the only other Butterfly sighted all day and positively identified :lol: .
Attachments
Painted Lady
Painted Lady
_____
Jerry
JH's Photo's
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,
Love the Speckly Wood pic Gary. Here's another Queen of Spain shot from this afternoon. Yesterday I saw three (2 male, 1 female), but this was the only one spotted by today's party, including Susie and Vince. Two of those seen on Monday are fresh enough to still be alive at the weekend - although the female will be much more difficult to locate.
Neil
QoS650_edited-1.jpg
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Jerry,

I would say that your mystery butterfly sighting at Slimbridge is unlikely to have been a Queen of Spain Fritillary. If your first thought when you saw it was "Silver Washed Fritillary", then the size would rule out Queen of Spain. I was quite surprised just how small the male Queen of Spain was when I saw it yesterday. It was only the size of a Pearl Bordered Fritillary, and although the female is larger, I do not think that it could ever approach the size of a Silver Washed........Blimey! I've only seen one and here I am going on like an expert. I'm sure The Kipper will correct me if I have got this wrong, but If you are ever lucky enough to see one, I guarantee that amongst your first words will be the phrase... "I thought it would be bigger than that". This however does not lessen the joy of seeing one for the first time.

Cheers,

Vince
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Some stonking shots from everyone lately. On the underwing of the Q of S Frit shot, the large mirror spots are pale blue, is this a sky reflection, or are they actually pale blue. What's the eight figure map ref. for Slimbridge? :wink:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Vince said.
I guarantee that amongst your first words will be the phrase... "I thought it would be bigger than that".
Gosh,,,that takes me back to my honeymoon. Oops.... :oops:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Zonda,
The 'spangles' on the Queen of Spain appear to have been decorated with metallic silver paint and are highly reflective. When they catch the sun they really do look spectacular. The markings on species such as the Pearl-bordered Fritillary have a much more subdued mother-of-pearl appearance. On species like Duke of Burgundy there is no lustre at all - they are just a matt finished off-white. Size is very similar to PBF - just a fraction larger. Female QoS are slightly larger than the males, but you would have to see them side by side for it to be really noticeable to the more casual observer.
Neil
NickB

Post by NickB »

My panel-beating skills (brute force and ignorance) have resulted in a new window-glass being fitted in my car-door - so my heap is back on the road! :)
(Nice shots everyone - will have to make-do with your QoS pics until the next time, I guess)
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Hamearis

Post by Hamearis »

[quote]What's the eight figure map ref. for Slimbridge?[/quote]
SO72230481.
Why?
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

LOL, said in jest Hamearis. :D Thanks for the Q of S info Kipper. At least 8, probably more, Clouded yellows on Bullers Cliff hill, near Abbotsbury beach today. Unfortunately, i couldn't get near the blighters for photography. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Question for Neil...what are the chances of catching a glimpse of the QoS on Sunday?? It's the only day I can make it.

Danny
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Danny,
Two of those seen on Monday are fresh enough to still be alive at the weekend - although the female will be much more difficult to locate.

If the weather's good, the chances are good. Should be a few pairs of eyes there to help. I might be there in the morning, but have to go to Fontwell Races later. :cry:
Good luck, Neil
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi all,

I had a walk around my two local sites today. At Kenley Aerodrome there were 7 Small Copper, 2 Painted Lady and 2 Speckled Wood. Over at Quarry Hangers Reserve, Chaldon I saw 3 Comma, 1 Red Admiral, 1 Peacock, 1 Painted Lady, 2 Speckled Wood and a very fresh female Meadow Brown.

Cheers,

Vince
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Only thing I have seen here recent is two Feathered Thorn moths, one Angle Shades and a few other moths I have not identified yet
Feathered Thorn (Worn)
Feathered Thorn (Worn)
Have not managed to identify this one yet:
Moth 2
Moth 2
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

Nipped over to Chi for the morning where a single male Queen of Spain Fritillary was on the wing. Fantastic! Many thanks to Robert, John, BC etc for being very open about these most excellent creatures :) Also a number of Painted Ladies and Red Admirals about.

Alexander
QoS6cHUEab copy.JPG
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Sure is a beauty. :)
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Piers

Post by Piers »

m_galathea wrote:Nipped over to Chi for the morning where a single male Queen of Spain Fritillary was on the wing. Fantastic! Many thanks to Robert, John, BC etc for being very open about these most excellent creatures :) Also a number of Painted Ladies and Red Admirals about.

Alexander
I was there with my partner and watched it too (before it disappeared) - did I see you Alexander?
Felix.
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

You most probably did Felix... you came along and saw me sprawled out ruining my blue shirt I think...at least if that was you? It's odd how people are never quite how you imagine them to be given their posts online - it's easy to build up a mental picture of them which is highly inaccurate!
Piers

Post by Piers »

So that was you...! and you're quite right about grossly inacurate preconceptions!
Well it was very good to meet you and very rude of me not to have introduced myself; the only excuse I can offer was the excitement of the moment.

All the best,

Felix.
Susie

Post by Susie »

:lol: I've yet to meet anyone online who was as I imagined.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Piers and Alexander,
Delighted that you got to see the QoS! I actually included you Alexander in a group Email invitation last weekend, but the address I have for you is out-of-date I think (returned to sender). The 'publicity' issue is one that I considered very carefully. It's a difficult balancing act between giving as many people as possible the opportunity to see something like this, and starting a stampede that can be potentially damaging to either habitat or the chances of unhampered breeding (plenty of examples - such as the damage to habitat at Stockbridge Down). Initially I contacted medium sized groups of people directly, on a daily basis, so as to spread the load. It was then put out more widely, so that the number of visitors has never been problematic. The odd person disagrees with this approach, but that's just tough!
In the vast majority of cases I think that being 'open' is best, as a regular presence of enthusiasts is more likely to curtail inappropriate behaviour and even collecting. However, there will always be the odd case where secrecy has to be maintained (e.g. conservation of rarities on private land, where publicity and subsequent trespass may lead to the right to perform that work being withdrawn by the landowner). As it is, these butterflies are giving a lot of people an awful lot of pleasure - which is how it should be!
As far as I can determine there are two QoS still alive, and both should last the weekend with ease. With regard to the comments above - if you see the male, sunbathing on the path or beating up Clouded Yellows, it doesn't harm to stick your lens in his face (he's very user-friendly). However, there is a very fresh condition female around, carrying a valuable cargo of eggs. So if you see a QoS fluttering amongst the maize stalks on the margin of the field, please give her some space. She was mated on Monday, providing a sight I never thought I would EVER see in the UK. A few of us had been watching the male with the spots joined to form a dumbell shape (last few pics) when I spotted a very fresh looking female, who turned out to be a virgin. She flew over his territory and after the briefest of tumbles they paired for 25 minutes (photos taken from range with 'zoom'). Magical! She then retired to roost 60' up in a sweet chestnut.
To anyone visiting this weekend - happy hunting!
Neil
P1120351_edited-1.jpg
P1120322_edited-2.jpg

Return to “Sightings”