Great British Summer

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Great British Summer

Post by Pete Eeles »

A note sent by Matthew Oates ...

Cheers,

- Pete

Just to warn you folk about the Great British Summer: BBC1, Sunday evenings from 8pm from Sun 5th Nov to Sun 26th inclusive - just before Planet Earth. It's not a natural history programme but a celebration of the Summer of 2006 through the eyes of a diversity of people, not all of whom are particularly sane. They wanted a 'butterfly man'...

It does feature Oates and some serious butterflies -

5th Nov: Marsh Fritillary larvae on the Cerne Giant's willy (in Latin, with Latin sub-titles), very uncooperative Large Blue at Collard Hill, sublime Heath Fritillary in Bin Combe (+ Health & Safety on ticks).

12th Nov: The 2006 Purple Emperor season from Alice Holt Forest (1), plus visit to Arnside Knott for Scotch Argus, High Brown Fritillary etc.

19th Nov: The definitive Chalkhill Blue show from Dorking North Downs and visit to Upton House garden (NT).

26th Nov: The return of Adonis to the Cotswolds, plus Bentley (no relation) the Purple Emperor larva and more MF larvae, and Oates going into hibernation in Broadmoor.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Shame I missed the first show, I had enjoyed the radio programme on the Purple Emperor in which he featured, though if I hadn't known a little bit about the species' habits I would probably have thought it a spoof...

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”