Off topic...Guess the mushroom.

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Off topic...Guess the mushroom.

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Zonda wrote:I need to smell it, taste it (perhaps), and see a specimen in three stages of growth (would be helpful), after that i might still be stumped, in which case i shall need a mycologist with a microscope. Then i might stand half a chance. Further,,,even when i have a good mycologist and a microscope, he will only be able to tell me about spore sizes, and spore characteristics. Then,,, to be absolutely certain, i shall have to go to a geneticist, in a laboratory for my final confirmation...butterflies are less hassle
Blimey, you can say that again!

Off topic from this (ahem) off topic, after your Wiki page I know now what yourself, Dave M and Nick B look like, should I ever meet you out butterflying!

Cheers
Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Yay,finaly got my self a whole Fly Agaric this morning. Thank you Bill!
20090920_72-fly-agaric-800.jpg
And this one Gary trod on :roll: but it managed to spring back up in place, but I have no idea what it is.
20090920_3-fungi-nf.jpg
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

I thought it was a Brown Birch Bolete, but she never listens to me. I stood it back up, but I didn't knock it over, it was like that when I found it. :oops:

Gruditch
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

good repair gary!
you can't even see the join.
on the subject of shrooms, whilst out bug hunting in the wootton inclosure this morning i found a bolete that ive not recorded before.
the cap being nearly some 5 inches across and a rich brick red in colour, the stem stout and peachy in colour with a richer colouring to the sponge gills.
the most interesting note being the immediate bruising to almost black on any areas that it was touched.

ive attached a couple of pics of the said fungi hoping that our mr zonda might cast his knowledgeable eye in these matters and give me some idea if it might be what i think it is, boletus queletii the decieving bolete.
in my roger phillips guide its down as rare, would you know how rare?

gary.
Attachments
boletus side veiw
boletus side veiw
boletus cap
boletus cap
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

It certainly looks the part, i was just comparing it to these pics,,,,
http://luirig.altervista.org/photos/bol ... eletii.htm
I think you are right, it probably is B queletii
Quite rare, but easy to confuse with other orange pored boletes. :)
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

geniculata wrote:good repair gary!
you can't even see the join.
on the subject of shrooms, whilst out bug hunting in the wootton inclosure this morning i found a bolete that ive not recorded before.
the cap being nearly some 5 inches across and a rich brick red in colour, the stem stout and peachy in colour with a richer colouring to the sponge gills.
the most interesting note being the immediate bruising to almost black on any areas that it was touched.

ive attached a couple of pics of the said fungi hoping that our mr zonda might cast his knowledgeable eye in these matters and give me some idea if it might be what i think it is, boletus queletii the decieving bolete.
in my roger phillips guide its down as rare, would you know how rare?

gary.
I'd would go for Bay Bolete over Deceiving bolete but it's too close to call really

Cheers

Bill
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

thanks for that zonda!

good to get the veiw of someone with your experience in the subject, ill have to return to the site in the next week or two to see if there are any more around and then again next year, perhaps get some better pics.

i have a good book on fungi of the new forest by gordon dickson and ann leonard but it doesn't have alot of pics for referance, it does however list queletii previously recorded at 6 sites within the forest but not from the area that i found this one

cheers gary :D oh bill just seen your message, what would tilt you iin the direction of bay bolete?
ive found and indeed eaten bay bolete many times in the past but never seen one with this stem colour or bruising colour before.
gary.
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

geniculata wrote: oh bill just seen your message, what would tilt you iin the direction of bay bolete?
ive found and indeed eaten bay bolete many times in the past but never seen one with this stem colour or bruising colour before.
gary.
Just going from the description and pictures in Philips. I think if you have been confident to eat Bay Bolete in the past then you probably have got "your eye in" for that species far more than I do. So I'd be more confident of your ID than I would of mine!

Cheers

Bill
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

No leps about today, so I went mushroom/fungi hunting. Not bad what I did find, but I can't seem to find a parasol mushroom I have been looking for. I have seen them in previous years.

First a Puffball sporing:
Puffball Sporing
Puffball Sporing
Could somone tell me what this is? I can't seem to find my mushroom books to ID it:
Fungi 2
Fungi 2
Is this what is left of a fly agaric?
Fly Agaric?
Fly Agaric?
Finally, what is this one?
Fungi 3
Fungi 3
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Hya Dave,,,,not being funny, but i do know the probable ID of two of the mushrooms pics you have posted. However, as this is primarily a butterfly site, i would have to ask permission from Pete or the admin staff to answer. :D You may not get an answer, and i shall understand why. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Piers

Post by Piers »

Go on Zonda, put Dave out of his misery, I doubt if Pete would object...

Felix.
Ps. Is that true about the wind Zonda? I always thought that it was just a particularly ugly but very capable motor car. I guess said car is named after your wind.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Dont think i want to bastardise a good website with a vast subject. Sorry Felix.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Zonda wrote:Hya Dave,,,,not being funny, but i do know the probable ID of two of the mushrooms pics you have posted. However, as this is primarily a butterfly site, i would have to ask permission from Pete or the admin staff to answer. :D You may not get an answer, and i shall understand why. :D
People have posted birds and dragonflies on here before, so I don't think posting mushrooms on a thread you started is going do much and if you really thought you'd need permission, why'd you post this thread then?
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Well there ya go......i asked you to guess the id of one mushroom, and this is what i get........constant interrogation. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Zonda must be feeling shy :shock: I'll have a crack at it

2nd one looks like Porcelain fungus Oudemansiella mucida although I'd like to see it from underneath to confirm. 3rd looks like what's left of a Fly Agaric to me, and the 4th looks like the Sulphur Tuft.

Cheers

Bill
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Porcelain fungus Oudemansiella mucida
I think thats right, it was very slimy if I remember and I found my mushroom book and it looks like one in the book
Cheers all,
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Felix said
I guess said car is named after your wind.
Yes,,,,that and the Ford Farte, actually that could be a good name for a car. High emissions tho. :lol:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Seriously,,, the the difference in interest between butterflies and fungi is that, nobody wants to eat a butterfly. 99% of the people i meet on the internet only see fungi as food. I see them, as you see butterflies. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.

Return to “General”