August 2009 votes

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.

Who do you want to vote for.

Poll ended at Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:09 am

Paulcrook
No votes
Sussex Kipper
9%
m_galathea
No votes
FISHiEE
17%
Rosalyn
2%
PhiliB
3%
NickB
No votes
johnb
1%
jackharr
1%
ColinC
2%
Pete Eeles
6%
Billy
No votes
daveyboy
4%
Gwenhwfar
7%
Keith Woonton
No votes
felix123
No votes
xmilehigh
2%
Vixpix
No votes
Bill s
1%
petergat
No votes
eccles
9%
Charles Nicol
2%
rolf
1%
romansnumber7
2%
Ian Pratt
No votes
Paul Brock
1%
Denise
2%
McMad
1%
james66
1%
Bioboy
1%
geniculata
11%
Gruditch
4%
web4160
No votes
Art Frames
No votes
Deano
1%
Zonda
1%
Susie
2%
Trev Sawyer
3%
Dave McCormick
No votes

Total votes: 90

Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

August 2009 votes

Post by Gruditch »

This thread is here to allow you to cast your votes for the August 2009 competition. See entries at gallery's, photo competition, August 2009. Voting closes on the 20TH.

You need to be registered and logged into the forums, where you'll be able to cast your votes for your three favourites. Once you've voted, that's it!

:arrow: Please note : Any self votes will be removed

Gruditch
Dave McCormick

Re: August 2009 votes

Post by Dave McCormick »

Um, when it says "Cast Vote" I pressed it and it voted, but it still says "Cast Vote" so it seems I can vote more than once here for 3, but ot that I am going to or anything
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Denise

Post by Denise »

It says the same on mine Dave. :?
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Hmmm, not sure why its doing that, if you want to allow re-voting there is box to tick when you set up the vote, but I didn't tick it and never have. I would go back and take a look, but I remember when Mike Young had a little play around with disastrous results. :lol:

Denise & Dave, try moving your votes to,............. I don't know Gruditch, just to see if you can move your votes. :roll:

Gruditch
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I believe you can still only vote for 3. The difference is that, apparently, you can change your mind!

Since this is the last time we'll be using this mechanism, I suggest we just live with it - otherwise voting will have to start again (as Gary says) :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Oops, you can vote over and over, but for the same ones only once, I accidently voted for another one, so well guess we just live with it and I'll not try and vote again
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Dave - I've just checked and only one set of votes from you is being recorded.

Therefore - it looks like you can change your mind - but you're not casting multipe votes!

Cheers,

- Pete
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Ok then, phew
Cheers all,
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Sorry a bit late closing this one, the forum was suffering from gremlins this morning.

Congratulations to FISHiEE 1st, geniculata 2nd, and Kipper & eccles = 3rd, and well done to all that entered.

On a personal note, this may be the last time we use this voting method, and if it wasn't for an = 3rd, I would of for the first time actually got the top three right.
Wow, and I voted for two shots taken without DSLRs, what's the world coming to Jack. :shock:

Gruditch
Denise

Post by Denise »

Congratulations Fishiee. I was quite pleased with my Brimstone shot until I saw yours, and thought oh damn it, he's done it again :lol: Great shot Fishiee.
My top three were Lisa, Daveboy and Kipper, but I could have voted for several others.
Next month will tell when we "rate" on the new system.
Well done everyone. :D

Denise
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Congratulations to FISHiEE, geniculata, eccles and all who entered yet another great batch of butterfly pics. Thanks to all that gave me their votes. Can FISHiEE be beaten? Yes - I've nailed 3 planks of wood across his front door (well I hope that was his house).
Neil
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

many thanks to all that voted for my pic,

i voted for petes lovely small copper,with nice detail right through into the wing tips , jacks wonderfully intimate capture of common blue head on shot, again with great detail and wonderful floral seat and paul's capture of silver spotted skipper abberation juncta, which under the conditions on the day with harsh sun and strong breeze, with the butterfly moving around pretty quickly i missed the shot that paul managed to get.

thanks all gary.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Well done to the winners. Commiserations to the 12 who scored "nil points".... hopefully the new system next month will reduce the heartbreak considerably.

charles

8) 8)
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

Charles Nicol wrote:.... hopefully the new system next month will reduce the heartbreak considerably.
Don't worry Charles, no heartbreak, it takes good photographs to get votes in this comp.

However, not one other person voted for two of those that I did which surprised me. They were the Southern WA by Bill S and Grayling by Bioboy, both were excellent IMO.
The composition, focus and colour were very good in Bill's; capturing the subtle blue on the hindwing is not easy. Bioboy's really had the feeling of being out on an English heath in the summer. Yes, the focus wasn't spot on, but still one of the best to me.

My other vote went to the Kipper for his almost faultless Brown Hairstreak. Well done to all the winners!

Alexander
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

m_galathea wrote:
Charles Nicol wrote:.... hopefully the new system next month will reduce the heartbreak considerably.
Don't worry Charles, no heartbreak, it takes good photographs to get votes in this comp.

However, not one other person voted for two of those that I did which surprised me. They were the Southern WA by Bill S and Grayling by Bioboy, both were excellent IMO.
The composition, focus and colour were very good in Bill's; capturing the subtle blue on the hindwing is not easy. Bioboy's really had the feeling of being out on an English heath in the summer. Yes, the focus wasn't spot on, but still one of the best to me.

My other vote went to the Kipper for his almost faultless Brown Hairstreak. Well done to all the winners!

Alexander
High praise indeed thanks Alexander :D

I decided on the S White Admiral from my collection of French holiday butterflies even though I had quite a few other reasonable shots to choose from. When I encounted what I presume was a male, it was as if he was on sentry duty along a small length of path around the edge of some woodland. He'd patrol for a bit then return to one of 3 or 4 perches at head height. At the time I was so gutted that I didn't have my 150 macro lens with me; there were no clouds in the sky to give me a softer image and the combination of the shadows from the oak leaves and shadows from the butterflies own wings were creating havoc. Many of the pictures lost the wing detail to shadows. But there were a few good ones in the mix, which with a bit of light cropping, seemed to capture the attitude. Intruders beware!

My votes were for Fishee, Gwenhwfar, and Eccles with Lisa's Adonis Blue being my favourite because of the superb composition in that picture,

Thanks again

Bill
NickB

Post by NickB »

Well done again guys! Difficult one this month; I went for Trev Sawyer, Gwen & Eccles, tho' it could have been several others... :? (Ah, well Charles, et al, in the nul points brigade, WE liked them :P )
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Been a hectic few weeks/months for me with work and holidays (ok they weren't so hectic but kept me offline!) and just got back from a week in Devon to come back and find I'm the winner so thanks all for the votes :)

Found myself a new favourite site in Hampshire for this shot near to Winchester and it's sure to be a regular haunt of mine when I move that way after christmas :)

Alas with such a busy time I ashamedly didn't vote this month but having just gone over the shots now I'd have had a real struggle to pick 3 to give my vote to. I'd be torn between the following:

Southern White Admiral by BillS - excellent composition and I never got an underside shot of these while in Provence myself this year so a bit jealous!
Comma by Rolf - love the detail in this one. I photograph them quite a bit but it's not always easy to get the underside shots to come out well like this.
Brown Hairstreak by Geniculata - my winner. Stunning shot. Superb detail throughout and I've still to see one of these so very very jealous and envious of this one!
Female Chalkhill Blue by Gruditch - simple shot but lovely clean background and top detail.

I see talk of a new voting system for the next one so beuuet dig out a photo myself and see how it all works!

John
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Hm... actually looking again I should add Denise's Brimstone and xmilehigh's painted lady to that list. The latter is mighty fine actually and probably my close 2nd. Dunno how I overlooked that first time round!
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

It's a funny world. I won in July with an "arty" photo of 4 chalkhill blues and then received no votes for a sharper and better photo IMO of three blues in August! Weird eh?
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Ian Pratt wrote:It's a funny world. I won in July with an "arty" photo of 4 chalkhill blues and then received no votes for a sharper and better photo IMO of three blues in August! Weird eh?
:lol:

In my opinion, your August photo is nowhere near as good as your July photo. It's relatively-uninteresting, and the second butterfly looks as if it has a damaged wing! Sharpness didn't come into it, for me :D

I wonder what others think.

Cheers,

- Pete

Return to “Competitions”